You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Guest Super Sub

It wasn't so much the strke that didn't turn out well for them, it was the aggressive pit closures they were fighting that "didn't turn out well".

They tried. They suffered horribly. As do many of the communities they came from suffer to this day. Ironically, many would argue the reason it actually "didn't turn out well" was because of people like yourself, mate.

Nothing to do with the price of coal being so low and it being financial unreadable to keep them open with all the foreign coal being brought in as well a cleaner fuels?

Of course you will be posting about how great the Green Party are next as well as the need to support jobs in other countries.

Nothing to do with the price of coal being so low and it being financial unreadable to keep them open with all the foreign coal being brought in as well a cleaner fuels?

Of course you will be posting about how great the Green Party are next as well as the need to support jobs in other countries.

http://hdmovie14.net/watch/still-the-enemy-within-2014#servers

• Upvote 1

I never remember Fords or my friends or my mates dads going on strike for weeks on end during the 80's. Am I stupid well seeming as I am not a university educated white collar worker like most seem to be on this site then maybe I am stupid. Did I ever say a Polish person no I never but you have a right to defend who you wish. As with talk of knocking people out well I am not going to get into this argument with someone who can remain unaccountable and anonymous on an Internet forum. I am sure he is a bit to old now but my dad is possibly the same age and I am sure you would be far more my age. Like I said though they are big words coming from someone hiding behind a computer screen.For the record I do work at Jaguar.

Fucking hell. You're a proper working class hero aren't you.

My dad is 52 and he'd still twat me, so yeah, I wouldn't fancy your chances. I've just spoken to him and 6 weeks was the longest he went on strike for. 6 fucking weeks!

To be fair he did say the newer Jaguar workers are scared of their own shadows and have had it drilled into them that industrial action is wrong by their benevolent masters.

Unions in my experience can only vote to go on strike if you are employed in the public sector ie teachers civil servants etc. If your in the private sector you go on strike your a trouble maker. You will get a pay rise of 1.5% each year. The only thing the union will do is negotiate water fountains, counsel trouble makers if they are getting a warning or as recently happened to us change start and finish times for certain shifts. There seems to be a consensus that strike action will ultimately harm the worker more than the company. It is for this reason I have very little sympathy or time for certain if not all public sector workers who go on strike.

Pay rise of 1.5% per year?  Interesting, I'd fucking love that in my public sector job.

This year I got 0.8%.  I've had 1% or less for each of the last five years and rises are capped to a maximum of 1% until 2020.

Since 2010 my pay has increased by a cumulative total of 4.8%, compared to inflation of 19.7%.

I don't want your fucking sympathy by the way, I just want to be paid a decent wage for my job.

• Upvote 3

Guest Super Sub

Fucking hell. You're a proper working class hero aren't you.

My dad is 52 and he'd still twat me, so yeah, I wouldn't fancy your chances. I've just spoken to him and 6 weeks was the longest he went on strike for. 6 fucking weeks!

To be fair he did say the newer Jaguar workers are scared of their own shadows and have had it drilled into them that industrial action is wrong by their benevolent masters.

Your dad sounds like a working class hero, where does he want me to pin his medal on him. All I do is go to work and if you call not listening to people wanting to strike being scared of their own shadow well that's open to interpretation isn't it. Like I said though lads who I knocked around with when I went to school and knocked around with had dads working in fords. I can never remember them being on strike or for that matter never having food on the table or never getting new clothes or pocket money.

Now if you and your father will excuse me but this scab has got a night shift to do so that will mean I have to cross the picket line.

• Downvote 1

Your dad sounds like a working class hero, where does he want me to pin his medal on him. All I do is go to work and if you call not listening to people wanting to strike being scared of their own shadow well that's open to interpretation isn't it. Like I said though lads who I knocked around with when I went to school and knocked around with had dads working in fords. I can never remember them being on strike or for that matter never having food on the table or never getting new clothes or pocket money.

Now if you and your father will excuse me but this scab has got a night shift to do so that will mean I have to cross the picket line.

Righto. Have a good night Enoch Powell.

• Upvote 1

He is to me.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

Pay rise of 1.5% per year? Interesting, I'd fucking love that in my public sector job.

This year I got 0.8%. I've had 1% or less for each of the last five years and rises are capped to a maximum of 1% until 2020.

Since 2010 my pay has increased by a cumulative total of 4.8%, compared to inflation of 19.7%.

I don't want your fucking sympathy by the way, I just want to be paid a decent wage for my job.

You weren't getting my sympathy. Teachers on 30k plus a year getting a 1.5% pay rise isn't on the same scale really is it. Keeping it in context.

• Downvote 1

Your fundamental problem is you are fucking stupid. From changing your vote from the Green party to UKIP because a Polish person had the temerity to stand up for a local party that she believes in to your comments in this thread you are just a bona fide idiot. Like SD, I'll defend the right for you to say what you want, however that extends to me pointing out your thoughts are ill informed claptrap.

Did I ever say a Polish person no I never but you have a right to defend who you wish.

Er.....

Super Sub, on 22 Mar 2015 - 6:43 PM, said:

Liverpool Riverside - Louise Ellman Labour.

I will be voting UKIP in the general election and the same in the local elections if they run a candidate. I have always voted labour and in the local elections I voted for the greens who have the local council seat. The other day the Green Party were canvassing for the local elections and some fucking Polish woman was knocking on my door. I know she is unlikely not going to be able to vote but fuck me you can't get away from them, they are in work and now getting into politics. In Jaguar one of the company's is Global & Partners and local lads are showing up for work and then getting sent home but there are Polish lads who are being told to stay. This is wrong it wouldn't happen in Poland or anywhere else what the fuck happened to British jobs for British workers?

Private sector wages are representative and based on company profits this means that a share of profits is paid as a wages to the employees. This contrary to what your saying is the real world because it in turn keeps companies profitable.

Cool.  So what you are saying is that if an organisation operates more effectively the workers who create that improvment should be rewarded?  That's a great idea.

So, I work for HMRC and despite the lazy headlines about companies like Starbucks, between 2010 and 2013 (last year for which an official estimate is available) the tax gap as a percentage of total liabilities has fallen from 9% to 6.8%, with the amount of actual revenue increasing year on year too.  I've worked on one project during that period which on it's own has kept around £30m in the public coffers that would otherwise not have been there.

For that I'm getting fucked up the arse.

• Upvote 1

That is not true you can also increase productivity to improve profits. You can increase productivity by employing more people which adds to cost and you can also improve work life balance through a happier and safer work place and increased wages. If we have a happier work place it is not because someone has taken to the picket line it's because management understand the value of the workforce and how it improves company profits. We are not treated like children in work we are treated like men and providing the job gets done we are left to do our work while the management do their work. This is the complete opposite to the bollocks of what you are spouting imply that employers are purposely trying to and in fact are shafting their work force.

It is also counter productive for employers to pay their employees as little as possible in the private sector. Jobs are dependant on people having disposable wealth which in turn means they can buy luxury items after they have paid for essential items. Private sector wages are representative and based on company profits this means that a share of profits is paid as a wages to the employees. This contrary to what your saying is the real world because it in turn keeps companies profitable.

If the individuals on this site who are so well informed walked into my work place you would be laughed at and asked were is your clown uniform.

This is the person who says that others aren't living in the real world!

giphy.gif

I have never said I was anti Union but in recent memory you had the miners strike which didn't turn out to well for miners. Then you had the Liverpool dockers who walked out on strike, lost their jobs and were offered their jobs back but with much worse terms and conditions.

Recent memory?

Thirty years ago the Tories took the secret decision to destroy Britain's mining industry, specifically to shift power away from workers and towards the bosses.  The way you talk about it, you'd think it was reckless and capricious strikers who lost those jobs and gutted those communities.  It wasn't: it was vicious right-wing ideologues.

Since then, there have been both successful and unsuccessful strikes.  I've still got a half-decent pension because I was prepared to strike to defend it, not because the Government had a Damascene change of heart.

• Upvote 2

I have never said I was anti Union but in recent memory you had the miners strike which didn't turn out to well for miners. Then you had the Liverpool dockers who walked out on strike, lost their jobs and were offered their jobs back but with much worse terms and conditions.

Didnt turn out too well?

Of course it didnt because the decision was already made to condemn thousands of workers and their families to a life on the breadline so some tory party donor could put a few billion more quid in their arse pockets at the expense of taxpayers like you.

In the words of Mr Moanero 'It makes you sound like a bit of a cunt.'

• 3 months later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/junior-doctors-whitehall-officials-edited-letter-from-independent-medic-to-build-hard-edged-case-a6801501.html

Junior doctors: Whitehall edited letter from 'independent' medic to build 'hard-edged' case against strike

Exclusive: Controversial letter in aftermath of Paris attacks was accused of using terror fears for 'political purposes'

A controversial letter by the NHS’s top “independent” medic, questioning whether striking junior doctors would be available to help in the event of a Paris-style terror attack, was strengthened and signed off by Whitehall officials, it can be revealed.

Emails between senior Department of Health (DoH) staff and Professor Sir Bruce Keogh, the Medical Director of the independent body NHS England, reveal that Jeremy Hunt, the Health Secretary, was given approval on the text of the letter. It went through a number of revisions, seen by The Independent, to ensure concerns about the possible impact of a major incident during the strike were made as “hard-edged” as possible.

Sent, and made public, in the week after the Paris terror attacks in November last year, the letter caused a storm of protest from junior doctors.

Three thousand medics wrote to Sir Bruce accusing him of using fears of a terror attack for “political purposes”. They said any insinuation that striking doctors would not come back to work in the event of an attack was “not in keeping with the inherent duty that junior doctors have to serve the public”.

The disclosure of how the final text was negotiated will anger them still more.

In one email, sent the day before the strike was declared, Sir Bruce was told by a DoH official that the risk of a “major incident” would be “pressed quite hard in the media once the strike is formally announced” and he was advised that “the more hard-edged you can be on this, the better”.

The emails also reveal that Mr Hunt agreed Sir Bruce would not be asked to speak to the media on the day the strike was declared “so long as” his letter reiterated his opposition to strike action, and was “clear” about the assurances the Department of Health wanted to hear from the BMA.

Asked to confirm he was “happy” with changes to the letter the day before the BMA declared a strike, Sir Bruce was told by an unnamed official: “I am sure then that JH [Jeremy Hunt] will be interested to see the proposed final product; my hope is that if you are happy to make these changes we will be able to get him over the line.”

The heavily redacted emails show that Department of Health officials had close involvement with the letter – even down to the timing of its publication online, on 19 November, the day the BMA revealed junior doctors had voted 98 per cent in favour of strike action.

Responding to the release of the emails, Sir Bruce said that it was “entirely appropriate” that the NHS, the Department of Health and hospitals had “co-ordinated the operational response” to the strike threat.

A DoH spokesman insisted it was “completely right that the Department expressed a view on communication with the BMA”.

Department of Health officials are understood to have been concerned that, in the event of an attack, and a consequent shutdown of public transport, doctors may not have been able to return to work. An email from a DoH official to Sir Bruce, sent on the evening of 18 November, states that “ministerial views here are, if anything, hardening on the major incident point in the event of public transport being disrupted on one of the full walkout days”.

Sir Bruce’s letter referred to the BMA’s first threatened wave of strike action, which was averted less than 24 hours before it was due to start on 1 December. Since then, talks between the Government and the BMA – facilitated by Acas – have broken down, and three new days of strike action have been declared, with the first due on Tuesday next week.

Although last-ditch talks are to take place tomorrow, senior government sources are convinced that the strike will go ahead. The dispute centres on the Government’s new contract offer to junior doctors, which will cut pay for out-of-hours work, to make it easier for hospitals to roster junior doctors at the weekend, as part of the Government’s “seven-day NHS” pledge. In return, doctors will get an 11 per cent basic pay rise.

The new contract would also remove financial penalties for NHS trusts that work doctors beyond their contracted hours.

The Government made a new offer earlier this week, with a new system of safeguards, but this was rejected by junior doctors, who say that the contract will lead to them working longer hours, for less money. The Government has not backed up the new contract with any extra funding for junior doctors’ pay.

The BMA has condemned what it said was evidence of “political interference” with Sir Bruce’s letter.

A spokesperson for the union said: “This level of political interference is extremely concerning and will only serve to worsen junior doctor’s lack of trust in the Government’s handling of negotiations.”

In response, Sir Bruce said: “Given the seriousness of potential industrial action and NHS England’s statutory responsibilities to ensure everything possible is being done to reduce all potential risk, it was entirely appropriate that all parts of the NHS – including the Department of Health, hospitals and NHS England – co-ordinated the operational response across the country.”

A DoH spokesman said: “Industrial action of the kind planned by the BMA creates a major safety risk for patients so it was absolutely right that ministers insisted on Sir Bruce Keogh giving his independent view of the NHS’s capacity to respond in the event of a major terrorist incident.

“Given it is the Government’s ultimate responsibility to do everything it can to ensure public safety, it is completely right that the Department expressed a view on communication with the BMA.”

Emails between Health Department and NHS England

• 18:18, 17 November :I have had a chat with [redacted] is clear that SoS [Jeremy Hunt’s] expectation is that this letter [to BMJ about junior doctors’ strike] should be included in tomorrow’s COBR [Government’s emergency committee] papers and not sent till Thursday. Could you please put it in the papers? Bruce

• 09:24, 18 November [DoH to Keogh with a re-worded version of the letter]. Bruce, Good to speak earlier this morning. As promised, I have woven the points from my earlier email this morning into your letter…

• 10:10 [sir Bruce writes back] Thanks for your help. Please may I leave it to you and [redacted] team to refine the letter. I am pretty tied up today in Manchester.

• 12:00 [DoH official to Sir Bruce] Bruce, [redacted] and I have just had a conversation with SoS about JD [junior doctor] issues. The good news is that we have agreed with SoS that we should not ask you to take media bids tomorrow, so long as:

1) Your letter is clear about the assurances we are seeking, and asks these in a way that ensures that we get a clear answer on the BMA position and

2)​ The letter sets out your view (as you said publicly last week) on the contract and industrial action. To achieve that I have made some further suggested changes to the letter, attached, [and] have inserted a new paragraph setting out the view you expressed last week. I have also tweaked a couple of bullets on assurances to provoke a clearer response from the BMA. Could you let me know if you are happy with the changes. I am sure then that JH will be interested to see the proposed final product; my hope is that if you are happy to make these changes we will be able to get him over the line.

• 12:21 [Apparently from NHS England offical to DoH] Thanks for this. I’m happy with the proposed changes you suggest and I don’t think it goes further than Bruce would be comfortable. I know Bruce is tied up for most of today but I’m happy for this version to be shared with SoS.

• 18:08 [From DoH to NHS England] As discussed, I think you are aiming to agree the “BMA” point and offer some words on the specific assurances with regard to a major incident. Grateful if you could run those past me as you agree them with Bruce as we obviously need to get all that agreed between us tonight (I should add that Ministerial views here are, if anything, hardening on the major incident point in the event of public transport also being disrupted on one of the full walkout days; and they also expect that to be something that will be pressed quite hard in the media once the strike is formally announced. So the more hard-edged on this you can be, the better).

There were a load of fit junior doctors in town today asking people if they knew the correct circumstances around the strike, giving out leaflets and stickers.

I spent my entire lunch break chatting to a gorgeous Indian bird with massive norks about what a cunt Hunt is.

She kept laughing each time I said it and then replied 'you are naughty'.

She obviously didn't have a clue what I was also thinking!

• Upvote 1