You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Have you been to Liverpool lately, Abs?

Anyway, give us the run-down on Clichy.

this is just my opinion after watching him for years. he's fast as hell, so you dont have to worry about him being outpaced. he's a fighter, and he has great attitude. So dont expect him to create problems in the team.

Now the bad things, he gambles alot of the time when he doesnt have to, like try to be smart and cut out a pass when he should just let the player receive the ball and gets turned alot of times due to him taking to many risks

Lets you down on offside traps, he's main weakness is team defending, alot of the time when the defence step up its mostly him who plays people onside.

And two things he does is which i still to this day never understand. he can make the most awesome piece of clearance, then decides to just hold on the ball as last man and lose it. And you ask yourself how can a player make world class piece of defending and 10 mins later make the most basic school boy error. he's just unreliable, he will win you some games and will lose you some, just too inconsistent

He ain't good enough mate. Simple as.

Will be an utter waste of money. I'd rather not buy a left back and let Robinson and Flanagan play.

Do we really need a LB with Kelly and Johnson as well, who can play there also if needed?

He's miles better than what we have, whats the point in playing Johnson out of position when he is very good on the left?

While Robinson and Flanagan are decent prospects, they are nowhere near ready to be playing week in week out for a side challenging for the top 4.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Will be an utter waste of money. I'd rather not buy a left back and let Robinson and Flanagan play.

Do we really need a LB with Kelly and Johnson as well, who can play there also if needed?

I'm surprised to hear such negative responses considering the price, but he's not going to be a player I go out of my way to defend.

I do think we need a quality, naturally left-footed player there though. Still, he has to be able to defend and Clichy's positioning has always been pretty savage.

EDIT: Thanks Abs, for that run down.

This I didn't know:

At the age of 15 while playing for Cannes, Clichy nearly died. After climbing over a metal fence while crossing a ground at the club's facility, a ring he was wearing got caught in the fence, which resulted in the skin and tissue from the fourth finger of his right hand being completely torn off. During the seven-hour operation to repair the finger, Clichy's heart stopped beating due to a problem with his lungs. It restarted after 15 seconds. The doctor who led the operation described Clichy's survival as "a miracle", while the player himself admitted that the ordeal changed his attitude towards life stating "It made me realise that life can go quick. You could leave tomorrow so you have to enjoy it to the maximum so you don't regret anything the next day. You can look forward to the future but not too far ahead".

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I was half-way through reading that and I thought 'jesus, that had to be quite some fucking finger injury'.

this is just my opinion after watching him for years. he's fast as hell, so you dont have to worry about him being outpaced. he's a fighter, and he has great attitude. So dont expect him to create problems in the team.

Now the bad things, he gambles alot of the time when he doesnt have to, like try to be smart and cut out a pass when he should just let the player receive the ball and gets turned alot of times due to him taking to many risks

Lets you down on offside traps, he's main weakness is team defending, alot of the time when the defence step up its mostly him who plays people onside.

And two things he does is which i still to this day never understand. he can make the most awesome piece of clearance, then decides to just hold on the ball as last man and lose it. And you ask yourself how can a player make world class piece of defending and 10 mins later make the most basic school boy error. he's just unreliable, he will win you some games and will lose you some, just too inconsistent

Pretty much in line with view of him. Good price, but are there better players available?

Window watch

Sunderland’s bid to sign David Ngog remains on course after they reached an agreement with Liverpool to sign the France Under-21 striker.

Ngog’s involvement was pivotal in the transfer of Jordan Henderson to Anfield. However, the 22-year-old will not travel to Wearside to complete a medical now but wait until he returns from a holiday in the United States.

Sunderland have expressed an interest in Connor Wickham, but accept that the Ipswich Town forward is destined to join Liverpool. They are also monitoring Ji Dong Won, the South Korea forward, but a mooted £800,000 deal for the Chunnam Dragons player will be put on hold until Steve Bruce’s side have cleared unwanted players from their books.

Ahmed Elmohamady has completed a permanent move to Sunderland, however, after the right-sided player spent a season on loan from ENPPI, in Egypt.

From The Times.

Maybe we should try and sign carlos alberto or something.

Clichy is good value at 5 mil. Robinson is far from ready for a 38 game season.

To be fair, Arsenal's defence has been shite for years, and it's hardly Clichy's fault.

And I reckon Downing would be a perfect foil for him on the left.

why not....he's been playing and made the most mistakes

why not....he's been playing and made the most mistakes

Well then either coach him properly or don't fucking play him!

Steve Clarke will make a player out of him, and ye'll finally figure Arsene out!