You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Opta Sports team of the decade

Evil_Ways

fernando torres has a far better goals to game ratio than owen from the 00/01 season to the 09/10 season (playing for a premier league team)

torres 116 games-72 goals .62

owen 294 games-138 goals .46

that concurs to me that by my calculations OPTA can stick there stats up their arse....

01-02 season - 27 goals

02-03 season - 25 goals

03-04 season - 28 goals

04-05 season - 19 goals

05-06 season - 14 goals

I beg to differ

As far as i can see those statistics are wrong.

Should be:

01-02 season - 23 goals

02-03 season - 17 goals

03-04 season - 22 goals

04-05 season - 7 goals

05-06 season - 10 goals

Meaning he's short of Michael Owens stats in the 00's...

And honestly, having Shearer ahead of Owen in the 00's just reaks of bitternesss towards Owen.

Shearer had more of an influence on English football than Owen this decade.

Never, that is ridiculous. How in the hell would you argue that ?

I think you are forgetting how big Owen was in the early 00's, how much of the England posterboy he was, what he won with us and for himself with the ballon d'or and what not.

I think you are forgetting how big Owen was in the early 00's, how much of the England posterboy he was, what he won with us and for himself with the ballon d'or and what not.

You've said it yourself mate, the early 00's. After the summer of 2004, what has he achieved in England? I can't be arsed checking but I bet he's played less than 80 league games in this country since then. If it's a team of the decade, then no way should Owen feature and it baffles me if the statistics prove him to be one of the top two strikers in England of the past ten years.

Edited by Randy Marsh

Unfortunately you are in discussion with hate influenced opinions.

That team is certainly not far off. In fact I struggle to replace any of the positions convincingly. One debateable position (right back) but as much as we hate him he was pretty decent a chunk of the decade.

You've said it yourself mate, the early 00's. After the summer of 2004, what has he achieved in England? I can't be arsed checking but I bet he's played less than 80 league games in this country since then. If it's a team of the decade, then no way should Owen feature and it baffles me if the statistics prove him to be one of the top two strikers in England of the past ten years.

Yeah, im certainly not saying he's been one of the better strikers in England since leaving for Real Madrid back in 04. But from the start of the 01 until the end of 10, he has surely had more of an influence than Alan Shearer. And he has scored more PL goals than him during that time frame. I dont know either if Owen is the second highest scorer behind Henry in the PL since 01. But he's scored more than Shearer and Van Nistelroy, indeed with more games played, but i suppose Opta didnt take that into consideration.