You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

When I've seen him, the weight of his passes look like the major problem but he looks comfortable on the ball turning and also there didn't look like many players around him were on the same wavelength. Then again, he didn't want to be at Chelsea apparently and neither did a lot of the players under AVB so that's hardly surprising. I'd certainly watch out for him though, he's strong, shows good positioning for his age and I believe will only get better.

Henderson and Shelvey made him look a bit shit when he came up against them at Anfield.

AVB's done nothing to impress me to be honest. Did shit at Chelsea and has the flavour of the month smell all over him, plus he's too inexperienced in my view. The danger is that he's seen as preferable because of the other names mooted.

Capello is the best of the names I've heard so far, he's a proven winner and I take his England failure with a pinch of salt - you can't polish a turd.

Capello is the best of the names I've heard so far, he's a proven winner and I take his England failure with a pinch of salt - you can't polish a turd.

We might need that skill in the next couple of seasons.

Didn't AVB at Chelsea have a higher win pct than Dalglish?

Henderson and Shelvey made him look a bit shit when he came up against them at Anfield.

He was playing in a reserve side under a manager who had no faith in him. He had to drop a lot deeper as the attack were losing the ball constantly and had no fluidity about them and if he was a Liverpool player every excuse under the sun would be made for him.

The fact is Romeu came in and took Mikel's place while he was away in the African Nations and despite a lot of fear from Chelsea fan's they soon came round to him as he did a very good job.

He was playing in a reserve side under a manager who had no faith in him. He had to drop a lot deeper as the attack were losing the ball constantly and had no fluidity about them and if he was a Liverpool player every excuse under the sun would be made for him.

The fact is Romeu came in and took Mikel's place while he was away in the African Nations and despite a lot of fear from Chelsea fan's they soon came round to him as he did a very good job.

You don't support Liverpool, do you.

AVB's done nothing to impress me to be honest. Did shit at Chelsea and has the flavour of the month smell all over him, plus he's too inexperienced in my view. The danger is that he's seen as preferable because of the other names mooted.

Well we better take three trophies out of our cabinet that we won under Houllier because they mean dick all now as they're apparently not impressive at all.

Take another look and see if you can see anything you like.

Futebol Clube do Porto - 2010/2011 | Road To Dublin - YouTube

What the fuck are you on about? Are you portuguese?

An unbeaten league season, 2 defeats in all competitions and a treble including the Portuguese version of the FA Cup and the Europa League.

Yeah nothing impressive there ...

You don't support Liverpool, do you.

No I don't because I have an alternate view to you.

Sorry back in line I go

RAAAAAAAAAAFA BENITEZ.

FUCK THE YANKS

STEVIE G IS THE GREATEST PLAYER THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN.

Better?

He just looked really poor to me, constantly giving the ball away and being too weak in the tackle. He reminded me of Lucas in his early days actually which proves that he's definitely not a write-off by any means.

So in other words he could be the same player, a player who is now coveted by many teams the world over.

Lucas only lacked confidence and to be fair he just ignored the type of cunts on here and in the stands that cry about a player within days of them signing for the club and don't seem to realise that you are dealing with human beings.

Who knows if Romeu settles at a club and finds his role people could be equally as wrong about him. He could of course turn out to be shite but the fact remains that many Chelsea fans were raving about him after a few shaky games when he started to really come through in that Chelsea side under AVB.

I didn't say it was an easy working environment. The fact of the matter is that the only managers to fail there are scolari (mentalist) and vilas boas (ginger bearded hobbit twat). It is much harder to fail than succeed at chelsea as evidenced by jabba the hut and di matteo. Mourinho, hiddink and ancelotti are all class managers and all did an excellent job at chelsea. This is not a coincidence. Nor is it one that vilas boas fucked it up.

No, but you were including Di Matteo's name as part of your evidence that it's easier to be a success there than a failure. Di Matteo's tenure proves zip.

Nobody's saying Villas Boas was a success, just that there are mitigating factors which can't be written off because of a late season upswing under an interim manager.

Of the full time managers since Mourinho, two of the three are considered failures. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next one get a season of success, ebb away and his replacement to continue the trend of part time success stories.

Abramovich has made no secret of his want to play attacking exciting football, yet when Scolari and AVB needed proper backing to deliver it they were sent packing and the squad which neither were allowed to dismantle and revolutionise was reformed in a containing formation and the interim boss hailed as a genius.

An unbeaten league season, 2 defeats in all competitions and a treble including the Portuguese version of the FA Cup and the Europa League.

Yeah nothing impressive there ...

The Europa league is reasonably impressive, but the rest isn't, in the Scottish league Neil Lennon is Rinus Michels.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The Europa league is reasonably impressive, but the rest isn't, in the Scottish league Neil Lennon is Rinus Michels.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Disagree with you here, mate. He took over a 3rd placed Porto and took them to a 21 point winning margin the next season, going totally unbeaten, scoring shit loads of goals and only conceding 16. He has a massive impact on Académica. Remember, he's only 34. Not many managers can boast that by 34.

Then there's his time spend with Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter. He has experienced success, he knows the game, but needs experience. I'd like him to grow here. chelsea is a bit of a skidmark on his reputation, but name me more than a couple of managers who haven't got some sort of turd splashed on their CV.

People seem to be forgetting Dalglish signed Carroll, Hendawg and Downing who have been shitter than AVB's signings.

How many goals/assists did Romeu get?

No goals no assists, but he is a DM. 11 starts, 5 sub appearances.

For comparison Lucas has only scored 6 goals in 183 appearances.

He also only cost 5 million euros.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nobody has a fucking clue what's going on. It'll be Martinez. Then we can all go mental. Great.

Liverpool owners cool their interest in André Villas-Boas

• Former Chelsea manager not approached for interview

• Louis van Gaal offered sporting director role

Share 243

Email

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 23 May 2012 22.00 BST

André Villas-Boas has not been approached by Liverpool's owners for an interview. Photograph: Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images

The prospect of André Villas-Boas becoming Liverpool manager has receded after the club's owners, who have offered Louis van Gaal the position of sporting director, cooled their interest in the 34-year-old.

Villas-Boas has been a frontrunner for the Anfield vacancy following Kenny Dalglish's sacking last Wednesday and hoped to hold formal talks with the principal owner, John W Henry, and the chairman, Tom Werner, as the Liverpool hierarchy settle on a shortlist for the post. The former Porto and Chelsea manager, however, has not been approached for an interview. While his candidacy cannot be discounted completely, he has seen his prospects diminish amid interest from Fenway Sports Group in Roberto Martínez, Brendan Rodgers and possibly the man they wish to oversee a new managerial structure at Liverpool, Van Gaal.

The Portuguese coach, who guided Porto to a league and Europa League double in his one season in charge before suffering an ill-fated spell at Chelsea, had made it known he was keen on Liverpool only to insist on Sunday that he was "still choosing the right project and that decision will take the necessary time". It has also been suggested that Villas-Boas knows a second failed stint in English football would cause irreparable damage to his career at the highest level, although his agent, Carlo Goncalves, has not ruled out a move to Anfield.

Roma have also approached Villas-Boas since he was sacked by Chelsea in March but are also keen on their former striker, now Catania coach, Vincenzo Montella. Goncalves said: "Liverpool and Roma? Well, what we are looking for is a [club with a] strong technical plan, that is solid and durable. Villas-Boas would like to return to coaching in these conditions, but if these conditions are not available, we would have no problems not working. I won't confirm or deny contacts with specific clubs. What we are interested in is a technical project, its outlook and a situation that has longevity."

Goncalves's words may fit with FSG's proposed vision for Liverpool but the new management structure envisaged at Anfield is still being put in place. Van Gaal has been offered a senior role at Anfield and, though he has not called time on his own managerial career and may ask to be considered as a potential replacement for Dalglish, is believed to be close to accepting the position of sporting director.

Martínez remains a candidate for the managerial vacancy and has held informal talks with Liverpool since they were granted permission to approach the Wigan Athletic manager last week. He has not met Henry and Werner in Boston for a formal interview and that process is unlikely to commence before the weekend. Martínez is on holiday in the Caribbean.

Another possibility for manager remains Rodgers, despite his public rejection of the offer of an interview last Friday. The Swansea City manager declined Liverpool's invitation on the basis he had no wish to be part of an extensive list that would then be whittled down, particularly as his work at the Liberty Stadium should be clear to FSG. Rodgers may be tempted if it was clear he was on Liverpool's shortlist and FSG are understood to be still interested in the 39-year-old.

Surely the jury's out on AVB?

He's done well in Portugal - which is open to praise, although it's fair to say it's hardly the PL, and much like the SPL.

He seemed to be out of his depth at Chelsea, but there's been more than a few decent managers confronted with player power at that club, to make matters worse, he appeared to be given the task of axing the old guard, which no previous manager had to face.

It's a bit iffy to call him 'excellent' and just as iffy to call him 'crap' - but do Liverpool want to be the guinea pig for his next 'project' ?

I suppose a lot depends on the club's REAL view of the team. Is it just a kick up the arse and a couple of top notch signings away from being top 4 candidates, or is it significantly behind enough to warrant another 2-3 year plan?

I can't help feel the owners are in a catch 22 - they want a big name, get the fans back onside, but can't bankroll another round of heavy spending AND tangibly move forwards with a stadium proposal (whichever way it goes). Champions League money (or lack of) is a serious issue for any club that would normally expect to be in the competition.

I'm anticipating one last throw of the dice with a 30 million transfer kitty when the new manager arrives, and a 2 year goal:

Year 1: Finish in the top 6

Year 2: Finish in the top 4

If they don't achieve that, I fear they'll pull the plug and sell up.

This has to be one the most tricky managerial appointments in recent years. Can't think of another appointment at club level that's had this much interest in the last 5 years.