You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It’s true there’s nothing that can be done for him unless he’s capable of mastering himself in ways he doesn’t appear remotely capable of. I don’t think people having tried their utmost to help him and him not being able to help himself are mutually exclusive though. Its not really a who’s fault is it situation. 

Some people have the tools to give addiction a proper run for its money and some don’t. Gazza is firmly in the latter camp and it’s just a sad, inevitable state of affairs rather than anything else, for me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

It’s true there’s nothing that can be done for him unless he’s capable of mastering himself in ways he doesn’t appear remotely capable of. I don’t think people having tried their utmost to help him and him not being able to help himself are mutually exclusive though. Its not really a who’s fault is it situation. 

Some people have the tools to give addiction a proper run for its money and some don’t. Gazza is firmly in the latter camp and it’s just a sad, inevitable state of affairs rather than anything else, for me.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jimmy-greaves-talks-about-paul-gascoigne-1646950.amp

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sorry, that’s utter bollocks. Addiction is an illness, not a choice.

But surely he weren’t addicted after his first drink, his second drink and so on. He was a professional athlete who shouldn’t have drank so much but He used to be smashed regularly even as a player. He had opportunities some of us can only dream of and he pissed it up the wall. He was also regularly beating his wife and is obviously on drugs, all choices made by him. No one forced the beak up his nose or the booze down his throat or his fists upon his wife. Also all the help he’s had that he’s thrown back in people’s faces. I’m certainly not going to try and make excuses for his behaviour, as someone above said he’s a wrongun and if he was just Paul off the street everyone would agree.

On 01/06/2019 at 15:50, Boss said:

He's got serious mental health issues. He needs to be given proper support and care, not laughed at like some animal in a zoo. It's disgraceful.

He's had more than most will ever get. 

He hasn't helped himself though and that's what really matters. 

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sorry, that’s utter bollocks. Addiction is an illness, not a choice.

So is diabetes an illness, after choosing to overload your diet with sugar and processed crap, knowing that diabetes is a very likely outcome.

On 01/06/2019 at 15:50, Boss said:

He's got serious mental health issues. He needs to be given proper support and care, not laughed at like some animal in a zoo. It's disgraceful.

Everybody is responsible for their own decisions, whether it be health or anything else. As has been said by others,  he has been given more care and help than others in a similar situation would have had, because of who he is. But why should the onus be on others to give him help? The onus is on himself to seek help, being responsible for his own actions, not to say 'To fuck with this, I'll just do whatever I want, I'm Gazza, and let everyone else clean up after me, like they usually do'.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Doh'Nuts said:

Everybody is responsible for their own decisions, whether it be health or anything else. As has been said by others,  he has been given more care and help than others in a similar situation would have had, because of who he is. But why should the onus be on others to give him help? The onus is on himself to seek help, being responsible for his own actions, not to say 'To fuck with this, I'll just do whatever I want, I'm Gazza, and let everyone else clean up after me, like they usually do'.

Addiction and mental health isnt as black and white as that. If you had gazzas genetics and environment you'd act in exactly the same way

1 hour ago, Angie81 said:

But surely he weren’t addicted after his first drink, his second drink and so on. He was a professional athlete who shouldn’t have drank so much but He used to be smashed regularly even as a player. He had opportunities some of us can only dream of and he pissed it up the wall. He was also regularly beating his wife and is obviously on drugs, all choices made by him. No one forced the beak up his nose or the booze down his throat or his fists upon his wife. Also all the help he’s had that he’s thrown back in people’s faces. I’m certainly not going to try and make excuses for his behaviour, as someone above said he’s a wrongun and if he was just Paul off the street everyone would agree.

Football was completely different when Paul Gascoigne was playing or at least it was in this country. Many players weren’t the athletes that their modern counterparts are and there was a drink culture attached to the game. In my opinion, with all due respect, you would benefit from reading up on alcoholism and addiction, as it is not as simple as you seem to think. 

I’m not sure how people who have never met or spent time in his company, can say whether or not he is a wrong’un.

With regard to him throwing help back in people’s faces, if you have not already done so, have a read of the Jimmy Greaves article that I posted above. In my opinion, Greaves is absolutely spot on.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Doh'Nuts said:

So is diabetes an illness, after choosing to overload your diet with sugar and processed crap, knowing that diabetes is a very likely outcome.

Alcoholism is a mental illness. There are various causes of diabetes, some related to mental health issues (binge/compulsive eating) and others not.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Maybe's. Although I think the amount of money he made led to his downfall. It was probably the only reason certain people hung around with him. 

I don't know enough about him, but I got the impression lots of them were his childhood mates. It's a hard luck story and all that, but he's been given so many chances it's hard for me to have a lot of sympathy with him. I know addiction is tough, but people find a way through it. I think some people don't want to. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Barry Wom said:

I don't know enough about him, but I got the impression lots of them were his childhood mates. It's a hard luck story and all that, but he's been given so many chances it's hard for me to have a lot of sympathy with him. I know addiction is tough, but people find a way through it. I think some people don't want to. 

Yeah, plenty of people struggle despite having the help needed and in George Best's case he was given a second chance and wasted it. It's sad though. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah, plenty of people struggle despite having the help needed and in George Best's case he was given a second chance and wasted it. It's sad though. 

It is sad. But the sympathy comes because of the talent they have/had. Not many people have much sympathy for the average alcoholic though. Football is littered with such characters too and none of them gain the sympathy gazza does, but that again imo is down to his talent.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

It is sad. But the sympathy comes because of the talent they have/had. Not many people have much sympathy for the average alcoholic though. Football is littered with such characters too and none of them gain the sympathy gazza does, but that again imo is down to his talent.

The media just highlight things more as they look for a story, they weren't so cuntish back in the day. 

17 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Maybe's. Although I think the amount of money he made led to his downfall. It was probably the only reason certain people hung around with him. 

It could be. And funded his addiction. But it allowed him to play his addiction out in front of cameras in flash places. If he was skint, he'd probably be in shite pubs or sitting at home with Tennant's super or whatever the alchies choice of booze is these days.  I'm not saying it's not sad, I just don't see how he deserves any more sympathy than the others in his position. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Barry Wom said:

It could be. And funded his addiction. But it allowed him to play his addiction out in front of cameras in flash places. If he was skint, he'd probably be in shite pubs or sitting at home with Tennant's super or whatever the alchies choice of booze is these days.  I'm not saying it's not sad, I just don't see how he deserves any more sympathy than the others in his position. 

I agree to a certain extent, we obviously don't know what the none famous Gazza would/could have been like. Fully agree with everyone deserving sympathy regardless of background/fame. Like I said above though, the media love to sell papers off the back of these stories and their cuntishness rubs off on a lot of people. 

Addiction is an illness, but especially if the resources are there it comes to a point where if there's continuous relapse and the person can't take responsibility themselves to do everything to get better, there's nothing else to do.

I'm sure he has help, thousands of people caring for him, but I mean, if he's a lost cause, he's a lost cause. 

52 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

With regard to him throwing help back in people’s faces, if you have not already done so, have a read of the Jimmy Greaves article that I posted above. In my opinion, Greaves is absolutely spot on.

Yeah, it was a good read that - talks a lot of sense

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Addiction is an illness, but especially if the resources are there it comes to a point where if there's continuous relapse and the person can't take responsibility themselves to do everything to get better, there's nothing else to do.

I'm sure he has help, thousands of people caring for him, but I mean, if he's a lost cause, he's a lost cause. 

You're happy to just write someone off as a lost cause? 

Do you realise how many efforts it can take an alcoholic to finally stop drinking? 

Notwithstanding the attitude of just giving up on a fellow human being. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2