You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are absolutely correct there To,but was his childhood that bad? I don't remember hearing too much about it.

Childhood trauma and therapy at the age of ten. Reinforced trauma in later teens. It's on Wikipedia. He was a gambling addict in his teens too. 

14 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

How would you rate him as a player though Gazza?

I was working on the impression that he was massively overrated due to a couple of decent games at Italia 90. 

He played for a few middling clubs and never won anything of note.

But then I thought maybe no-one rated him that highly anyway.

If he had managed to control his drinking he had the ability to be one of the best ever. When he was at r*ngers he used to have 4 large brandies before games and would still get man of the match. 

I think he is a proper cunt though. 

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I know your experience mate but disagree. 

You never know the time it WILL work. 

That doesn’t mean you don't take children away or leave the relationship if necessary. But as a society we should never give up on anyone. 

We're on the same hymn sheet really. I think it is down to society to help people when no-one else can, when everyone else has to walk away. Thats when people such as gazza should be sectioned and given the re-hab they need, released on licence then back in the moment they fall off the wagon and repeat until successful.

I agree with the point that Gazza should have signed for Liverpool, as should Charlie Nicholas. Frank Worthington would have been a great Toshack replacement too.

6 minutes ago, A Red said:

We're on the same hymn sheet really. I think it is down to society to help people when no-one else can, when everyone else has to walk away. Thats when people such as gazza should be sectioned and given the re-hab they need, released on licence then back in the moment they fall off the wagon and repeat until successful.

I agree with the point that Gazza should have signed for Liverpool, as should Charlie Nicholas. Frank Worthington would have been a great Toshack replacement too.

May as well have signed Oliver Reed and Shane McGowan while we were at it 

On 30/06/2019 at 13:49, Tony Moanero said:

Football was completely different when Paul Gascoigne was playing or at least it was in this country. Many players weren’t the athletes that their modern counterparts are and there was a drink culture attached to the game. In my opinion, with all due respect, you would benefit from reading up on alcoholism and addiction, as it is not as simple as you seem to think. 

I’m not sure how people who have never met or spent time in his company, can say whether or not he is a wrong’un.

With regard to him throwing help back in people’s faces, if you have not already done so, have a read of the Jimmy Greaves article that I posted above. In my opinion, Greaves is absolutely spot on.

Yes , Greaves is right enough there, a couple of people I’ve spoke to , they’ve been off the drink for years, said not a day passes when you don’t think of having one which must be an extremely tough existence, also certain foods that have the slightest alcohol content can send an alcoholic back off the rails .

But with all the media attention plus the Social Media pricks , as the one who posted on Twitter was it?, things don’t bode well and that’s sad but there it is , who knows what’s hidden in the mind that sends someone down that road , heavy drinking is one thing, that can be stopped as I know, but alcoholism is definitely more complex 

On 02/07/2019 at 22:05, easytoslip said:

Yes , Greaves is right enough there, a couple of people I’ve spoke to , they’ve been off the drink for years, said not a day passes when you don’t think of having one which must be an extremely tough existence, also certain foods that have the slightest alcohol content can send an alcoholic back off the rails .

But with all the media attention plus the Social Media pricks , as the one who posted on Twitter was it?, things don’t bode well and that’s sad but there it is , who knows what’s hidden in the mind that sends someone down that road , heavy drinking is one thing, that can be stopped as I know, but alcoholism is definitely more complex 

Good post,but has your full stop button broken?