You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool keeping close eye on McLeish contract talks

JohnnyH

Guest The Chimp

I can't believe what I'm reading here.......fucking McCleish!? I can just see Torres, Mascherano or Gerard seeing that as the managerial appointment that convinces them that number 19 is around the corner and to stick around. Or that for any decent continental players that Liverpool is the place to come to. Number six would be a no-brainer as well.

Seriously , has there been a big chemical spill in Widnes that's blowing into Liverpool, because there's some real fucking mental stuff being said here. I can understand people having had enough of Benitez, but accepting anyone in the rush to get rid of him - and entertaining the idea of McCleish to me seems exactly like that - is seriously flawed.

if you're basing the argument on the fact that we'll never know how good a manager might be unless we give him a go, then of course you're right. That said where'd you draw the line? How far lower down the leagues, or inexperienced do we go?

Big, big decision to be made with who comes in next as if it goes wrong we really could be in the shite big time and yet people are prepared to take a gamble on the Birmingham boss? Seriously lads, tell me what I'm not getting here.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If we are going to sack Rafa, we need to make sure that, at the very least, we are getting somebody of equal quality. Otherwise, what's the point?

The new manager if we get one if he is a ''lesser name'' than Rafa really isn't going to be given a fair crack of the whip by quite a few on here is he?

Whoever it may be should get all our backing no matter what right from the start. Even someone like McLeish if it happened.

Does that extend to players as well or are we continuing the policy of declaring them shit before they've kicked a ball?

It's impressive, what he's done with Birmingham this season. It would be interesting to have a British manager again, I've forgotten what it's like.

If it's true that from now on our aim is supposed to be top 6 every season, then I think he would be suitable. If we haven't lowered our aims by that much yet, then we should try to get someone better in.

This is what worries me about sacking Rafa. Ending up with someone like McLeish

Until this season we were one of the top clubs in Europe. Would Barcelona, Milan, Man Utd etc etc be considering Alex McLeish if they were in the market for a manager?

If/when Rafa goes, we need someone with a record that stacks up. Not a punt on someone who hasn't achieved much. We are not in a position where we can afford to take a risk.

I suspect those arguing for someone like McLeish are making the judgement based largely on "anyone but Benitez"

Alex McLeish

Club Honours

Motherwell 1994–1998

Whoever it may be should get all our backing no matter what right from the start. Even someone like McLeish if it happened.

This is where I stopped reading. Just reading makes me laugh. At what point duringnest season do we change from backing him to the shite Rafa gets now?

we can do much better than mcleish.

If McLeish has a £1M buy-out clause in his contract then we may even struggle to get him given our financial contraints!

Would McLeish be a good Liverpool manager - who knows?

Managing LFC is a totally different ball game with very different expectations and pressures to most other clubs.

Madrid's Champions League exit means Rafa should expect a call from Spain

By Guillem Balague

Published 06:00 12/03/10

So who would take charge of a club where the President thinks the manager is of secondary importance to a team full of stars?

Before the Lyon game, Perez reminded everybody that the Champions League is a part of the club's DNA.

The humiliation of a Bernabeu final at which Real Madrid are mere spectators ensures Manuel Pellegrini will not be there next season.

Despite talking to him last summer, Perez admits that Mourinho is not his kind of manager; Wenger has turned them down three times already. I'm fairly sure Rafa Benitez will be getting another phone call.

If Rafa or his agent are continually leaking stories like this to the media, then that is extremely disrespectful to Liverpool FC and the supporters who marched in support of him when he was on the verge of being axed.

I am sick of the internal politics at Anfield and Rafa is one of the biggest culprits of this.

I am not interested whether Rafa has turned down "big offers from big clubs". He is already manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world & needs to start justifying the big contract that was awarded to him last year.

Guest The Chimp
If Rafa or his agent are continually leaking stories like this to the media, then that is extremely disrespectful to Liverpool FC and the supporters who marched in support of him when he was on the verge of being axed.

I am sick of the internal politics at Anfield and Rafa is one of the biggest culprits of this.

I am not interested whether Rafa has turned down "big offers from big clubs". He is already manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world & needs to start justifying the big contract that was awarded to him last year.

Again, couldn't agree more.

The biggest danger of making McLeish our new manager is that he might bring Lee Bowyer with him.

We don't sign midfielders who get into the oppositions penalty area so there is no chance of that. However, on a serious note McLeish has revitalised the careers of Bowyer, Ferguson and Carr.

About time we got another Scottish manager.

I believe that Mcleish would do better than Mr Benitez has this year.

As to whether he will win the league , well i am not sure that with our current situation any manager in the world would be able to achieve that miracle. But , i think he would have us closer to the top than we are now.

Unfortunately at the moment beggars can't be choosers which is what we appear to have become.

Surely this season has shown the error of Mr Benitez being described as a tactical genius. In fact after the picture of Mr Moyes booting the ball with the headline tactical genius at work , i am surprised some clever chap has not printed a t shirt with the same headline but with Mr Benitez on it.

If it was up to me i'd make serious noises about getting Sam Allardyce in, leak it to the papers, even talk to his agent....

and just when the fat fuck gets excited and starts talking himself in the media, i'd arrange a press conference consiting of me and the entire squad pointing and laughing at him.

------------------------------

McLeish isnt good enough. I dont know who there is available, but i'd like someone who has built attacking teams and has a decent trophy hall.

However I would also look at getting a media friendly man in. Too many times the media have turned our managers into the laughing stock (Rafa & Houllier) of the premiership or misunderstood them, someone who can play the media game would be key as the silent Liverpool of old isnt going to cut it in this PR game that is the Premiership.

If the current owners stay, whoever is manager next year is going to struggle - I think the manager will have far less of an influence on our overall position than this year. That said, the likes of McLeish have shown a greater ability to pick decent buys up for little money than Benitez has. Most of Rafa's buys under 10m have been failures.

If the current owners stay, whoever is manager next year is going to struggle - I think the manager will have far less of an influence on our overall position than this year. That said, the likes of McLeish have shown a greater ability to pick decent buys up for little money than Benitez has. Most of Rafa's buys under 10m have been failures.

Aside from Reina, Agger, Skrtel (depsite his poor season), Arbeloa, Benayoun and Crouch I'd agree with you but then, generally speaking, the lower the price the lower the quality.

Which current Premiership Managers with the exception of Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger & Carlo Ancelotti, could be considered as a good enough to be a potential Liverpool Manager?

Tottenham - Harry Redknapp

Manchester City - Roberto Manchini

Aston Villa - Martin O'Neill

Birmingham - Alex McLeish

Everton - David Moyes

Fulham - Roy Hodgson

Stoke - Tony Pullis

Blackburn - Sam Allarydyce

Sunderland - Steve Bruce

Bolton - Owen Coyle

Wigan - Roberto Martinez

West Ham - Gianfranco Zola