You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool keeping close eye on McLeish contract talks

JohnnyH

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Chimp
C.V. is not the be all and end all when choosing a manager.

You're absolutely right, it's not. That said, however, I'm not getting how a manager without some real pedigree will be able to come into the club and deal with the dressing room. How would McCleish (for example) fare when dealing with the players expectations, their egos and in gaining their respect? Would he feel strong enough to make difficult decisions, to bollock or drop players when needed - regardless of reputation? Would he be confident enough in his position as manager to not expect to lose those players? I'm asking this, as I think a few of them need bollocking/dropping at the moment and I'm not sure even Benitez feels confident to do that (I could obviously be very wrong though).

Guest The Chimp
I find myself really liking the idea of McLeish. Weird.

That'll be the fallout from Widnes Adam (post fifty-eight). Wind must've changed. :whistle:

Would he do better than Benitez did last year though, isn't that the aim?

Will benitez do that though ? Or as i posted would any manager in the world be able to with our current situation ?

Until the ownership issues are sorted out for the better of the club and team then being realistic we will not win the league no matter who is the manager.

If Rafa or his agent are continually leaking stories like this to the media, then that is extremely disrespectful to Liverpool FC and the supporters who marched in support of him when he was on the verge of being axed.

I am sick of the internal politics at Anfield and Rafa is one of the biggest culprits of this.

I am not interested whether Rafa has turned down "big offers from big clubs". He is already manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world & needs to start justifying the big contract that was awarded to him last year.

Balaque has simply writen he is "fairly sure that Rafa will be getting a phone call" and this has justified the above attack on Rafa? It doesn't take much anymore.

Also, the short memories of people really is a sight to behold. This season now seems to be the only one Rafa has ever had at Liverpool and now any manager who can "string 3 passes together" would be an improvement, and, despite some amazing tactical displays over the years, if someone says a different manager "is not a tactical genius" then we are getting the unchallenged replies of "neither is Rafa". Amazing. Fine Rafa may have to go in the summer, but the shite some people are coming out with is a joke.

Gerrard is 30 next season. Carra 33. Big decisions for Torres and Masch and Pepe were Rafa to go. And people think McLeish is the way to keep them and show Liverpool mean business? Anyone complaining that Rafa has lowered expectations with the chase for 4th, needs to sit back and have a little look at their support for McLeish.

Balaque has simply writen he is "fairly sure that Rafa will be getting a phone call" and this has justified the above attack on Rafa? It doesn't take much anymore.

Also, the short memories of people really is a sight to behold. This season now seems to be the only one Rafa has ever had at Liverpool and now any manager who can "string 3 passes together" would be an improvement, and, despite some amazing tactical displays over the years, if someone says a different manager "is not a tactical genius" then we are getting the unchallenged replies of "neither is Rafa". Amazing. Fine Rafa may have to go in the summer, but the shite some people are coming out with is a joke.

Gerrard is 30 next season. Carra 33. Big decisions for Torres and Masch and Pepe were Rafa to go. And people think McLeish is the way to keep them and show Liverpool mean business? Anyone complaining that Rafa has lowered expectations with the chase for 4th, needs to sit back and have a little look at their support for McLeish.

any time scale on that fucker, or did the yanks not have the money to pay the phone bill,

ill lend them my ready to go sim card if they need, right now

id have McLeish over Rafa any day of the week

im sick of all this "tactical genius" bollocks, its fucking football, not chess,

you pass the ball, you move, you recieve the ball ,you tackle, its pretty much a simple game, over complicated and over stated by "masterful tacticians" if Rafa spent more time pratcising passing the ball and then moving, we'd be better off them him trying to make us into the Ac milan of 1989

But hey, lets keep calling for Dalglish to come back. Then maybe we can change our home colours from red to black and white, and we can all get big LFC tattoos on our stomachs and take our shirts off during home games in December.

Johnny it is comments from Rafa like "I have turned down big offers from big clubs" that really winds me up. I think that is very disrespectful to the club and our supporters.

He is the manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football and he will not get the kind of backing that he has had from our supporters elsewhere.

I do not agree with some of the personal insults that are being hurled at Rafa Benitez, and fully respect his achievements during his tenure at the club.

any time scale on that fucker, or did the yanks not have the money to pay the phone bill,

im sick of all this "tactical genius" bollocks, its fucking football, not chess,

you pass the ball, you move, you recieve the ball ,you tackle, its pretty much a simple game, over complicated and over stated by "masterful tacticians" if Rafa spent more time pratcising passing the ball and then moving, we'd be better off them him trying to make us into the Ac milan of 1989

I'd started a reply, but I wont post it. People are posting things because they are angry now and so arguing with that is just going to cause more anger. I'm out of this thread as a lot of comments are just........ well, I don't want to get into it.

You sound extremely bitter mate.

Hahaha that Madrid story was so predictable its not even funny.

Jesus Christ not only are our football predictable and shite but so is Rafa`s politic`s in the press.

Not sold on McLeish, he would do a better job than what Rafa has this season but thats not our aim unless you come from the Catch school of thought.

He should be delighted, I wonder where Birimingham finds themselves in his little financial table.

Real Madrid just got knocked out of the Champions Leauge - people don't thnk there will be talk of the manager getting fired and therefore talk of his replacement?

McLeish is in talks for a new contract - people don't think he will be getting linked wit bigger clubs to get his payrise?

I suppose if Bin Laden comes out with his latest video people will be saying Rafa is linking himself to that job also.

Anyway, if Rafa is as shite as some of you are saying he is, then why worry? Real wont be touching him, and the Juve thing was clearly bolox as they only want good managers.

I'm fucking sick of how some Liverpool fans want to twist every story in the press into Rafa disrespecting Liverpool football club. Really is pathetic. We don't need the press stirring shite as we're doing a pretty fine job of it from within.

Johnny it is comments from Rafa like "I have turned down big offers from big clubs" that really winds me up. I think that is very disrespectful to the club and our supporters.

He is the manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football and he will not get the kind of backing that he has had from our supporters elsewhere.

I do not agree with some of the personal insults that are being hurled at Rafa Benitez, and fully respect his achievements during his tenure at the club.

But he hasn't said that. In fact he has said nothing here. Ballaque (who according to a few on here has no info from Rafa) has said Rafa might be getting a phone call. He also mentions why he doesn't think Mourinho or Wenger will, yet this was enough to have a go at rafa. This is a nothing piece basically saying that the Real manager will be sacked, and it's used to beat Rafa.

The problem now of course is Rafa is going to get asked about this in a press conference tomorrow, and he'll deny it, but once mentioned it'll be Rafa's fault for playing political games. It's just anothe stick to beat him with. The problem is that as more people want him out, they grasp at any old thing to show how bad a man he is, and it's bolox.

But he hasn't said that. In fact he has said nothing here. Ballaque (who according to a few on here has no info from Rafa) has said Rafa might be getting a phone call. He also mentions why he doesn't think Mourinho or Wenger will, yet this was enough to have a go at rafa. This is a nothing piece basically saying that the Real manager will be sacked, and it's used to beat Rafa.

The problem now of course is Rafa is going to get asked about this in a press conference tomorrow, and he'll deny it, but once mentioned it'll be Rafa's fault for playing political games. It's just anothe stick to beat him with. The problem is that as more people want him out, they grasp at any old thing to show how bad a man he is, and it's bolox.

He's a communist witch, you know.

Rangers played well under McLeish and won plenty, and under major financial problems, Only once he left did people realise how good a job he did.

He took the Gers into the last 16 of the champions League.

And he signed Dado Prso.

I like McLeish always have done, as for Liverpool you never know unless you try.

Souness did well at Rangers didn't really work out for him here did it.

I'm in two minds here, he's done great at birmingham, he's a disciple of ferguson and the experience of playing under him has obviously benefited him in his managerial career. However, I also hope it's a smokescreen for somebody else.

I wouldn't want McLeish at all. If he came in, obviously i'd get right behind him from the start but he isn't the type of candidate we should be considering, in my view.

Others that I find more interesting are Hodgson and Moyes, although ideally we'd bring someone in who has the track record of winning titles. In that sense Mourinho would be perfect because he's done it in this country already, so he knows what it takes.

Guest the boy
I hate this viewpoint.

It's more like: 49 year old guy who isn't fucking working for someone who might actually work...

worth a punt, then. and if that doesn't work by this time next season, we can ship him out and bring Walter Smith in. He's a disciple of Ferguson too: also won a few trophies in Scotland. And then if that doesn't work and we have a season of mediocrity, we can bring in Billy Davies: experience of working on a tight budget, and has been promoted. We could always look at Roy Hodgson: he's taken a Fulham team spending nothing to the Europa League; maybe in a few seasons time he'll be taking a Liverpool team spending nothing to those lofty heights too?

I abhor our performances this season as much as the next man, but this reactionary bravado is bollocks.