You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool keeping close eye on McLeish contract talks

JohnnyH

The new manager if we get one if he is a ''lesser name'' than Rafa really isn't going to be given a fair crack of the whip by quite a few on here is he?

Whoever it may be should get all our backing no matter what right from the start. Even someone like McLeish if it happened.

You're wrong. While I want Benitez to stay, if he went and McLeish came here he'd get my support as I have nothing against him, even though I don't think he's the man for the job.

What interests me about this thread is that when people argued about fourth place being an achievement this season they were told that this was unacceptable as it was lowering expectations. Now, after all the arguments about Liverpool being a job virtually any manager short of Ferguson would jump at, we have a lowering of expectations about potential replacements.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said i don't care if they're British but none of the British ones about now are good enough.

If there was a brilliant British manager out there, I'd want him.

How will managers ever get the chance to prove they are good enough with your mentality Paul?

Don't forget, Rafa was sacked a few times before he really made his name at Valencia. They took a chance on him and it paid off. Why couldn't the same happen for us? We shouldn't be so snooty about it.

For all you know McLeish could be a brilliant manager here, how would we know?

Just because he doesn't have Rafa's track record doesn't mean he will be a failure. Houlliers track record wasn't great and he was great for a few years for us.

I must admit he wasn't top of my list.......but then again, my list consisted of 6 billion names who would be preferable to the current incumbent.

As long as that list doesn't include yourself, Code, Mourinho, Ferguson or Allardyce then I'm relaxed about it.

How do you know there not good enough?, I'd take David Moyes over any foriegn manager, but it wont happen. The best manager in the league is British.

I'll give you one i'll take tomorrow. ROY HODGSON.

I don't think they're good enough.

Ferguson clearly is but he's not coming.

How will managers ever get the chance to prove they are good enough with your mentality Paul?

Don't forget, Rafa was sacked a few times before he really made his name at Valencia. They took a chance on him and it paid off. Why couldn't the same happen for us? We shouldn't be so snooty about it.

For all you know McLeish could be a brilliant manager here, how would we know?

Just because he doesn't have Rafa's track record doesn't mean he will be a failure. Houlliers track record wasn't great and he was great for a few years for us.

I think the best way of judging a manager is what he's achieve so far, and i don't think winning the Scottish league, these days, and having one good season in the Premier League is good enough to get you the Liverpool job.

People like Blanc are winning the league in their country without having the money some of his rivals do, so he'd be a better option IMO.

I want someone who's proven he can win stuff cos it's too important, if it goes wrong we could get even worse.

Guest Pistonbroke
How do you know there not good enough?, I'd take David Moyes over any foriegn manager, but it wont happen. The best manager in the league is British.

I'll give you one i'll take tomorrow. ROY HODGSON.

Moyes has punched well above his weight at Everton. They have had less than us to spend for years. Be interesting to see what he could do with a larger budget to spend and a decent spine to begin with. Hodgson has to be one of the most underrated managers out there. He has always done well wherever he has managed given the circumstances and he has a solid game plan based on the players at his disposal.

Regardless of the accuracy of this story, in the current situation, I'd say there is a much greater chance of our next manager being of the McLeish variety rather than the Mourinho.

No idea how he'd do with us but, let's face it, he's only got to get us having a few shots on goal and stringing 3 passes together each game to improve on where we're currently at.

Guest Pistonbroke
The decision would be based on who has won major honors with very little to spend.

Sad. But true.

True. It's sad that players are bought for millions on the back of one decent season or tournament performance yet managers are judged on winning trophies. Trophies are scarce to win and in general the big clubs win them with managers who have a lot of money and huge squads at their disposal. I'm sure there are plenty of managers who could offer more if they were trusted with said scenario. Just need the balls to appoint one who shows he has the potential. Luck will always play a part in choice.

Regardless of the accuracy of this story, in the current situation, I'd say there is a much greater chance of our next manager being of the McLeish variety rather than the Mourinho.

No idea how he'd do with us but, let's face it, he's only got to get us having a few shots on goal and stringing 3 passes together each game to improve on where we're currently at.

That's the truth.

You reckon Rafa's putting this out, Kevin D?

I'd say it's more likely Purslow testing the waters, or McLeish looking to get a good pay rise.

Or more than likely, just bullshit.

All four options are pretty likely actually... Rafa would love to garner a bit of support because McLeish wouldn't be the big name replacement and some supporters might get behind him more.

Purslow might be looking for a cheaper option to fill the managerial position than a big name signing, and is seeing the response.

McLeish fancies a bigger job, a bigger wage, and a bigger challenge.

Its a fucking shite paper's made up story...

All likely.

I'd take Mcleish. I can't see us getting that big name, proven track record manager everyone on here craves so if Wafa does leave, I think it will be someone unproven at the highest level.

Mcleish plays good football, has put together a good outfit at birmingham, and hes hungry.

I'd like a hungry manager, whos passionate and ready to build himself a legacy at Liverpool Football Club.