You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It was a penalty. He dived and I hate to see it but it was still a penalty.

Pity that because I'm sure any confidence he had gained from the Manc goal and an excellent performance tonight will be pretty much sucked out of the lad by the definite media shit storm to follow. Something I don't think happened after Obertan assaulted the Moscow lad last week...funny that...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me, no. I wouldn't rather we lost but I was extremely embarrassed about it.

I'll leave this debate here because there is no way my view will alter on this subject; i've seen the replay several times and it's clear as day. Anyone who thinks it was a foul has a different idea of football to me and that's fine.

Not sayin it was a foul, it wasnt, but its about time we got some decisions like this when cunts like Drogba and Ronaldo got them last season.

Pity that because I'm sure any confidence he had gained from the Manc goal and an excellent performance tonight will be pretty much sucked out of the lad by the definite media shit storm to follow. Something I don't think happened after Obertan assaulted the Moscow lad last week...funny that...

Also think hes an able replacement for Torres not just off tonights goal. The way he got the penalty, he skinned two players and then won the penno.

£1.5 million back up to Torres.

Boss.

Not read the match thread yet, but I am hoping that somebody is giving N'gog some credit for the run he made to get himself in that position in the first instance. I thought he had a decent game and kept getting himself in the danger area to either make a chance for himself or, in this case, get a player to over commit in the tackle.

It was a dive. No two ways about it. He was on his way down before Carsley's leg had even come across him. It was a good bit of play by N'gog to take the ball away from his foot at the last second, but he Carsley never touched him and I am pretty sure that he could have jumped the challenge if he'd wished to.

Thing is, with the clock running down, your side desperately needing a win after a shite run of results, and trailing by 1 goal, it would take a very strong minded player to not do exactly the same as N'gog did. A good bit of play bought him the opportunity and he took it. I don't condone it, but the 'he's a fucking shit house' brigade need to put themselves in his position. I can take the moral high ground from my arm chair, but if I had to face a defeated dressing room and back room staff after the game, I think I'd have a very different persective on the whole incident.

Not me, no. I wouldn't rather we lost but I was extremely embarrassed about it.

I'll leave this debate here because there is no way my view will alter on this subject; i've seen the replay several times and it's clear as day. Anyone who thinks it was a foul has a different idea of football to me and that's fine.

Imageshack - tosicronaldo.jpg

Its been a while since I seen it but at the time I thought if he had of just stayed on his feet he would have gotten the penalty because Boruc would have touched him and brought him down.

I've just watched it again and he was past the 'keeper when he went down so it wouldn't really have been possible.

There's a thread about Eduardo's dive from a while back anyway and it makes interesting reading, that's all i'll say!

What are people's views of Eduardo's dive then? A penalty because the 'Keeper missed the ball and impeded his run?

Eduardo's looked worse because Boruc withdrew his arm at the last moment. N'gog comes off looking better because Carsley goes all the way through. Both players were, however, on their way down before there was even a chance of contact.

It was a dive. However, being a hypocritical, myopic cunt, I'm far more concerned with how it will affect a young player who clearly suffers from nerves, but is increasingly looking like a decent player, than how bad it was for the image of the game.

Dive apart Ngog is looking a good player and improving all the time. Not sure he's ready to be a full deputy to Torres just yet but he could/should be a very decent 3rd choice striker.

I've just watched it again and he was past the 'keeper when he went down so it wouldn't really have been possible.

There's a thread about Eduardo's dive from a while back anyway and it makes interesting reading, that's all i'll say!

True. I just watched it again and in that sense you can't compare it to N'Gog because I think if David had stayed up just a second longer Carsley would have made contact and this debate wouldn't be happening.

I actually thought it was a dive and a pen. People are too precious about diving as well. If diving was a rare event in football i'd be embarrassed but let's not try and be heroes when everyone else is doing exactly the same thing. Don't get me wrong, i'd much prefer it if no-one dived at all but it's not happening.

This

It shows that Ngog has a lot to learn. He should have trailed one of his legs, letting his foot make contact with Arsley's leg. The dive itself was quite well done but he definitely needs lessons in simulation. It will all come to him in time - the boy shows promise.

Benayoun would have took another touch, and it would ave gone out for a goal kick.

N'Gog is a weird one for me. There's no doubt that he knows where the goal is but some of his general play is really, really poor.

His finishing is also inconsistent. He'll score a brilliant goal, such as tonight's and the one at Leeds, and then produce a fresh air shot!

As I say, a weird one.

I'm happy with his performances this season though.

He'd have been caught if he'd have stayed on his feet so to go down with no contact was as needless as it was poor.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what Drogba or Ronaldo do or don't do. And I care about as much about what the blerts on ESPN or in tomorrows press think about it.

The point is I don't wanna see a Liverpool player going to ground like that. I can tolerate it when there is some contact but not when there is none at all.

Agreed. I don't see how he could have kept going through that challenge. Jumping over it cost him his balance and as a poster claiming to be a ref somewhere pointed out (think it was the Guardian) contact is not actually necessary for it to be a penalty.

Benayoun would have took another touch, and it would ave gone out for a goal kick.

Sort of true

N'Gog is a weird one for me. There's no doubt that he knows where the goal is but some of his general play is really, really poor.

His finishing is also inconsistent. He'll score a brilliant goal, such as tonight's and the one at Leeds, and then produce a fresh air shot!

As I say, a weird one.

I'm happy with his performances this season though.

I dunno, I think his general play is pretty strong, his only faults lie in sometimes being outmuscled and fading from a game. I also disagree about his finishing, he is quite efficient with his chances- I remember his first goal last season against PSV and his goal against the Mancs as nerve-related counterattacking goals which he calmly mastered; he's had a couple scrappy predatorial goals last season as well such as Sunderland away; then there was the great goal he created by himself at Leeds and finally the really brilliant finish for tonight's goal. I do not remember him wasting many chances. I mean, compare him to Babel if you want someone wasteful.