You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Surely you dont mean this Rafa ?

Dougie Do'ins

What do you think he meant? He stated one way or another that 'Winning trophies is not important' or is secondary. This club exists to win trophies.

"I don't agree with people when they say you have to win trophies. Always I say the same, you have to be there.

"You have to be close and create a group of players that can fight for trophies. We got 86 points last year and some people say it wasn't a good season because we won nothing. But to finish second and close the gap between the top team and us to four points was a massive achievement so it depends.

''Trophies mean a lot to everyone but to see the team progress means you can guarantee you will be there in the future and you can fight for trophies."

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't agree with people when they say you have to win trophies. Always I say the same, you have to be there.

"You have to be close and create a group of players that can fight for trophies. We got 86 points last year and some people say it wasn't a good season because we won nothing. But to finish second and close the gap between the top team and us to four points was a massive achievement so it depends.

''Trophies mean a lot to everyone but to see the team progress means you can guarantee you will be there in the future and you can fight for trophies."

Fuck the context, he said you don't have to win trophies.

WE EXIST TO WIN TROPHIES.

How many defeats does it take for people to realise his time is up. Fucking idiots.

I am baffled by the amount of Rafa cocksuckers on this forum.

What a ridiculous thing to come out with.

Yeah, fucking ridiculous it is to support your manager. Fucking idiots.

I'm more amazed by the stupidity of people saying that now's a good time to get rid of the manager. Nevermind the fact that we're owned by a pair of daft fuckwits just itching to have a yes man in place instead of Rafa, who they can then tell what to do and have the final say on whether we sell our top players.

Some people honestly think that it'll be best to start afresh with someone new, with a transfer window coming up and a new manager with no say on anything, so we can flog everyone the owners want to just to pocket the cash. A new manager won't have any say in that, and if you think otherwise then you're more naive than first thought.

Whether you want Rafa here or not is a separate issue. Wanting him out NOW is complete and utter suicide, and I'm fucking gobsmacked that there are so many who can't see that. Absolute mindless stupidity.

Have you not seen his purchasing? If he had been given funds, we would likely be in the same situation.

That's spot on. Even when he's had money to spend he spunks £20 million on Babbel and Lucas. At that time, it's fair to say, he could have spent the money more wisely. People will argue that he has bought Reina, Mascherano etc but I think the shite outweighs the quality by a fair bit.

At first I thought it tallies with what I posted on here some weeks ago, it matches his mission statement from G&H . Top 4, keep us in the money shareout, but minimum investment, still attractive to buyers etc.

Now I'm not so sure. Could it possibly be that by doing the opposite he is trying to force them out by aligning himself with Purslow and RBS and enforcing a sale or administration by the bank ?

Shortly after Rafa arrived I said I would not like to play Poker with this man , even less so now.................

Of course it makes sense in literal terms. However, mentality is all at the top. Do you think Tiger Woods or Roger Federer go out to play thinking, "Well as long as I get to the final I'm doing OK?". The drive to win at all costs is what separates the great from the good, in my view, and by vocalising this get out clause Rafa suggests that winning isn't everything. Even if he weren't in charge, that would be a damaging perspective, but he's the boss. His job is to lead and inspire, not to excuse. I want to hear him say, "We must do much better. People are right to expect the best - this is Liverpool". I then want to see him deliver on such words.

DO you really think this is what he says to the players when we get to a final, or is this really just another case of trying to reset fan expectations so they don't put pressure on the team?

DO you really think this is what he says to the players when we get to a final, or is this really just another case of trying to reset fan expectations so they don't put pressure on the team?

More like trying to lower fans expectations to rebuild the relationship that he's destroyed with his poor squad, questionable decisions, and horrendous scouting network... in order to save his job.

Let's be honest... the support is the sole reason that he is still in a job and he has spit in our faces by playing wasting our money on travel, and ticket prices with his devaluation of certain competitions. (Read: all except Champions League)

More like trying to lower fans expectations to rebuild the relationship that he's destroyed with his poor squad, questionable decisions, and horrendous scouting network... in order to save his job.

Let's be honest... the support is the sole reason that he is still in a job and he has spit in our faces by playing wasting our money on travel, and ticket prices with his devaluation of certain competitions. (Read: all except Champions League)

He wouldn't have the quarter of the support if we had decent owners right now.

The way he threw the towel in yesterday, if he was at his beloved Madrid, he would have got the sack the minute after he made the Benayoun substitution. Never mind a 5 year deal.

He wouldn't have the quarter of the support if we had decent owners right now.

The way he threw the towel in yesterday, if he was at his beloved Madrid, he would have got the sack the minute after he made the Benayoun substitution. Never mind a 5 year deal.

All that matters to Madrid this season, & which explains their ludicrous level of summer spending, is that on 22/05/10 Juan Laporte doesn't get to swan around the Bernabeu taking the piss & making Separatist comments in Catalan whilst the whole world watchs him holding aloft the most important trophy in world football.

He may well have lost his job already if they were in a comparable group stage position, but if they were, you & I could have got a game in the preceeding League match to ensure the proper players were fit.

all am trying to say is some of the players look like they don't give a shit
Who bought these players ?

What about Benayoun's substitution??

It seemed to me like we threw in the towel yesterday big time and if those quotes from Rafa are true im really,really worried about what lies ahead.

I am a Rafa fan but,he made some strange decisions recently and if 2nd place and the knockout stages of the CL are what he defines as success then i can't see how he can be defended.

Thats exactly what I thought yesterday. I posted last night that "I can accept losing but it was the manor of the defeat that rilled me" Yesterdays substitutions of Torres and Benny said to me that Rafa has placed the few good eggs he has in the CL basket. Unfortunately for us fans the owners will gladly carry the basket for Rafa.

As long as we had both, we could stem the tide of shite stinking out our flanks and bench, but now we've lost one of those one-man engines (Alonso)...

Losing Alonso was the key, I think. When that sod decided to go, it seemed we had nothing left in midfield, we relied on him so much.

I suppose that's what happens when Rafa puts all his eggs in one Basque get.

I'd sack him if he means it.

The reality is that is his brief for the owners, a trophy would be nice but finish top 4 and quality for knock out stages and your job is completely safe.

That probalby why he threw the title away yesterday in trying to make sure we dont get knocked out of the CL on Wendesday

Well we may as well lock the Shankly Gates and throw the towel in Nick.

We exsist to win trophies, this attitude is sickening.

Thank you David Moores you utter utter Twat.

I am not disagreeing with you I am just pointing out the facts as I see them why we currently have these owners and Rafa Benitez in charge. Rafa is doing exactly what Houllier did in trying to lower the bar of expectation but it wont wash with LFC fans

The reality is that is his brief for the owners, a trophy would be nice but finish top 4 and quality for knock out stages and your job is completely safe.

That probalby why he threw the title away yesterday in trying to make sure we dont get knocked out of the CL on Wendesday

We were short several players due to illness. Several players who would have added to the squad. That wasnt to make sure we dont get knocked out of the CL on Wednesday.

Well I'm not sure I agree he's spitting in your face, but if that's the way you see it, I am sure nothing I say is going to change that. Sure, what he is doing is about rebuilding a relationship, but what he is doing is also about the kind of fans we have today.