You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Surely you dont mean this Rafa ?

Dougie Do'ins

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you know George the Carling Cup doesn't matter anymore. We have gone all upmarket and snobby now and regularly challenge for the league and the CL these days mate.

i must have missed the memo. i'm sure between 2004 and 2008 we were't competing for the league title.

We must have a brillaint team to be able to pick and choose.

tbh apart from this season i've not thought we could't win the Cl since 2005. Have to give Rafa massive credit for that.

I was saying winning trophies costs money - to win the fa cup you need to win 6 games and whoever you are have a chunk of luck - and to do that it broke pompei

to win the title will cost a hell of a lot more

This is one of those rare occasions where i'm genuinely lost for words.

Nah, you were lost for words when I told you to examine the semantic gaps between micro and macro economics. Unless dribbling counts as a word of course.

Yes, Speedy, that's right, that's how you'll hurt me. By criticising my knowledge of micro and macro economics.

I think i'll have to go away and re-assess my life's goals and values after this revelation.

Rafa Benitez: Liverpool don't have to win trophies to be a success - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Rafa Benitez has claimed success at Liverpool should not be measured in trophies.

The Merseysiders pride themselves as being the most successful club in England' date=' with 18 titles and five European Cups.

But Benitez, who takes Liverpool into a week that could decide their Champions League fate after Saturday's shock 3-1 defeat at Fulham, said: [b']“I don’t agree when people say that you have to win trophies.[/b]“I always say you have to be there, you have to be close, you have to create a group of players who can fight for trophies.

“We got 86 points last season, yet some people were saying that it wasn’t good because we finished second.

“I think reducing the gap between the top team and Liverpool to four points was a massive achievement.

“Trophies mean a lot to everyone. But the most important thing is to see progression and evidence that you are improving and able to fight for trophies.“It’s not just about one year. It is about what we can achieve in the future.

“People say that I have now been here five years. I say, look at the differences here now.

“Look at the value of the club before compared to the value of the club now.

“Look at the value of the squad before compared to the value of the squad now. You can see the progression.”

Benitez’s words will come as a surprise to followers of a club with an insatiable appetite for silverware.

As legendary Anfield boss Bob Paisley once famously said: “First is first and second is nowhere.”

Spaniard Benitez won the Champions League in his first season at Anfield, but the Reds have not lifted a trophy since the FA Cup in 2006.

He was given assurances about his future last week by managing director Christian Purslow.

Hours later Liverpool resurrected their Premier League challenge by beating Manchester United 2-0.

But they travel to Lyon in the Champions League on Wednesday night with their hopes of progression hanging by a thread following the French club’s 2-1 win at Anfield and a defeat at Fiorentina.

Benitez believes he will still have the backing of Purslow and the club’s two American owners, even if Liverpool suffer an early exit from Europe’s premier competition.

But he is aware that such a scenario would have serious consequences when it comes to his New Year transfer budget.

Benitez said: “Christian Purslow made it very clear that when I signed a new contract for five years it was so that I would be at this club for a very long time.

“Now I can control the Academy, I can control the young players we produce and build something very good for the future.

“We have analysed the squad together, looking at plans for January and also next season.

“My belief is that we will qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League, but of course, you have to have plans based on whether you have more money or less money available.

“The more money you have, the easier it is.

“If you have less money then you have to manage in a different way and find other solutions to improve.”

So Liverpool aren't all about winning trophies, we're about being "close". Fuck's sake.

You also have to think that new owners would like a new manager as well.

Totally agree with that new owners and I want Rafa out immediately but whilst we have these owners Rafa's incompetance is distracting from the real enemy.

Any new manager comming in wont make any difference when Torres and Gerrard are sold to reduce the debt

The owners and manager are seperate for me. Mixing the two together causes confusion and muddies the waters. If you no longer have confidence that Benitez is the right man for the job then it is what it is.

That's true to a certain extent, but would you trust the owners to make the right decision and back the new man? I wouldn't.

That said, I retain my own faith in Rafa so it's an easy answer on my part.

I can understand why people have reached saturation point with Rafa Benitez, although it's not my own view. I don't agree with those who say that there we'll be inundated with good quality candidates if a replacement is needed.

That's true to a certain extent, but would you trust the owners to make the right decision and back the new man? I wouldn't.

I can understand why people have reached saturation point with Rafa Benitez, although it's not my own view. I don't agree with those who say that there we'll be inundated with good quality candidates if a replacement is needed.

The table doesnt lie and were 11 games in

If Man City win tomorrow were in deep shit, just hope the wheels come off Man City and we scrape 4th because for sure we wont finish above Arsenal, Manu or chelsea

Put it this way, if you no longer want the manager in charge then why would you tolerate him just because of the owners? You barely see the owners but you'd see the manager and his effects on the pitch week in, week out.

Put it this way, if you no longer want the manager in charge then why would you tolerate him just because of the owners? You barely see the owners but you'd see the manager and his effects on the pitch week in, week out.

I wouldn't tolerate Rafa because of the owners if I didn't think he was capable of turning things around, as I said I agree to a certain extent.

I find it difficult to accept that we've gone from second in the league (I know, it's not "success" in trophy terms) to shite overnight.

And when it comes to the crunch, it will be our custodians calling the shots. It may be with the help of Kenny but it's still those two who do the hiring and firing, and that's what scares me the most.