You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neil Mellor

RedBrian84

Just had a watch of the Preston/West Brom game from the Championship (finished 0-0) and I was made up to see Neil Mellor leading the line for North End. He's scored five goals in seven league games and is really on fire at the minute which is great to see.

I always liked him when he played for us and now he seems to be fulfilling the potential he had at Anfield. He's turned into a hard working, ball winning centre forward who is brave, strong and direct. The fans seem to like him and he seems really settled there. Good on him I say, hope he can return to the Premiership soon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my head he's still a Liverpool player, it's almost like he's out on loan.

In a strange way, I don't think getting promoted would be that good for him. If he stays fit then he can get 20 goals a season in the championship but I don't think he's quite good enough for the premiership, lacks that little bit of pace and sharpness. Might have turned out differently had he not so many problems with his knees though.

Always look out for Preston's results now because of TBM though.

_40574743_mellor270.jpg

Guest the boy
Good player when he's had a run of games. He's struggled with injuries over recent years which has held him back but I'm glad to see him doing well now.

I'd prefer him to Voronin as well, and N'gog for that matter.

He's not a good player though, is he. He's a bog-standard Championship striker who, a couple of stand out moments for us aside, failed to make it at various Premiership-level clubs. I'm not intending Mellor a disservice, simply there's no end of bollocks written on here implying the club holds down local talent. He wasn't good enough for us; he wasn't good enough for West Ham; he wasn't good enough for Wigan.

N'Gog's done nothing whatsoever deserving of slating. It's lazy. He's a 20 year old lad whose scored a few goals given the relatively few minutes he's played, rarely looses the ball, and otherwise just looks a really classy player.

He's not a good player though, is he. He's a bog-standard Championship striker who, a couple of stand out moments for us aside, failed to make it at various Premiership-level clubs. I'm not intending Mellor a disservice, simply there's no end of bollocks written on here implying the club holds down local talent. He wasn't good enough for us; he wasn't good enough for West Ham; he wasn't good enough for Wigan.

N'Gog's done nothing whatsoever deserving of slating. It's lazy. He's a 20 year old lad whose scored a few goals given the relatively few minutes he's played, rarely looses the ball, and otherwise just looks a really classy player.

Mellor is a good player but even if he'd stayed fit he may not have ultimately made it here. I've no problems with the opportunities he had here, or the decision to let him go. At Championship level however he's showing just how good he is this season - as he's been fit for a period of time.

I would definitely prefer him to Voronin though, as Voronin is fucking shit. End of.

My preference to Mellor over N'gog is because David is a bit too raw and not ready for the first team at the minute. I'm not slating him at all; in years to come he could well be a very good player. I just think he's far from being first team material yet though. He's looked good in maybe 2 or 3 games that he's featured in - PSV and Sunderland last season spring to mind?

In my opinion he needs a season where he scores goals regularly (at whatever level, reserve, or on loan in the Championship or back in France) so he gets confidence and belief in his own ability. At the minute he's surely not even sure whether he's good enough as he's never had a season of hitting the back of the net regularly.

He's certainly not good or experienced enough to be second choice striker for us at the minute though, which is why I'd prefer Mellor in that role. Obvioulsy I could name numerous players that I'd take ahead of Neil too, but this is a thread about TBM.

Just had a watch of the Preston/West Brom game from the Championship (finished 0-0) and I was made up to see Neil Mellor leading the line for North End. He's scored five goals in seven league games and is really on fire at the minute which is great to see.

I always liked him when he played for us and now he seems to be fulfilling the potential he had at Anfield. He's turned into a hard working, ball winning centre forward who is brave, strong and direct. The fans seem to like him and he seems really settled there. Good on him I say, hope he can return to the Premiership soon.

No pace. That's why he'll only ever be a good championship striker.

Slightly different take on NM - saw an interview with him this morning when his hatred for MUFC came over as he talked about PNEs fan base and said many from the area go to watch us and Everton and even (quote NM) 'tho I hate to say it Man U' - with that attitude hes a Red thats for sure and so he will always be a popular player among our fans - but I'd have to say that those saying he was not good enough are right ....sadly.

I like him buthe was never gonna make it here. Good attitude and eye for goal. He's not even first choice for preston which says it all really.

He is at the moment, he's come good for them and was the one kept on when the subs were made today. That parkin came on and wasn't that bad actually. Decent feet and eye for a pass I was pleasantly surprised. Not making any claims about what standard he does or doesn't belong to but he was much better than I thought he'd be.