You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is that the one written by Rick Remender(?) pal? Had a flick through that at one of my mates and it looked pretty ace. Archangel was in cahoots with Apocalypse I believe and the art looked pretty special.

Ah this was volume 2 written by Sam Humphries, Rick Remender did volume 1 which ran for 35 issues. I've read some of them and thought it was fairly good, just struggled to get into it as much. I should really go back to that though and give it more of a chance, because it'll probably get a lot better as it goes on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone been reading anything decent lately? Finished Preacher a while ago and haven't started anything else since. Got tons of stuff downloaded but not sure what to do. Anyone read DMZ? Thinking of doing that. I like the look of Chew too but would rather wait until it ends to read it all in one go.

Anyone been reading anything decent lately? Finished Preacher a while ago and haven't started anything else since. Got tons of stuff downloaded but not sure what to do. Anyone read DMZ? Thinking of doing that. I like the look of Chew too but would rather wait until it ends to read it all in one go.

These are all worth a read and are the newest ones I have read recently:

• Saga - space opera style story
  • Sex Crimminals - A couple who can stop time when they have sex
  • Locke and Key - Horror series by Joe Hill ( Stephen King's son )
  • Trees -  Giant alien trees show up out of nowhere. Written by Warren Ellis

Not read DMZ yet but I agree Chew is one you should also get around to reading, original and very funny.

• Upvote 1

I've got a lot of Saga downloaded already and I know it's got rave reviews but it hasn't really grabbed me. I actually read the first two of Locke and Key and can't remember why I didn't carry on as I enjoyed it so might go back to that.

I might try something of Garth Ennis next after having a think on it, I loved his run at The Punisher so I'm thinking of The Boys.

Got vol 3 of Deadpool downloaded as well so might alternate that with something else for a while.

I've got a lot of Saga downloaded already and I know it's got rave reviews but it hasn't really grabbed me. I actually read the first two of Locke and Key and can't remember why I didn't carry on as I enjoyed it so might go back to that.

I might try something of Garth Ennis next after having a think on it, I loved his run at The Punisher so I'm thinking of The Boys.

Got vol 3 of Deadpool downloaded as well so might alternate that with something else for a while.

Scroobius Pip has raved about The Boys on his podcast a few times. I have it down on the list for the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have said quite a few times I was going back to reading some comics and haven't, but am probably going to actually do that this time. Probably going to re-read the Avengers storyline from Original Sin that I posted about not so long back, (#29-34) because I thought it was fucking brilliant, then carry on from that point.

Mainly posting because there was a line from the Civil War film that partly stuck in my head (couldn't remember the whole thing.) and have just found it again. Probably one of my favourite spoken parts, and it was also in the comic version but in the film it's attributed to someone else (and maybe altered too.) Don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the film, but for those who have :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

fqrNux5.jpg

Picked up a couple of Daredevil books (Bendis' first volume and Waid's first volume), volume 1 of Alias (Bendis again and excellent), the latest collection of Danger Girl, volume 1 of Grayson (not even opened it yet, and am not too sure what to expect), volume 1 of The Dark Tower: the Drawing of the Three and the first book of Dead Boy Detectives (for only £3). Up to my arse in marking though, and need to make a start on my class's reports so Christ knows when I'll be able to carry on trying to plow through them.

I've finally started Preacher, years after it first caught my interest.

Other than that, I've been catching up on The Walking Dead and the Darth Vader comics. Turns out that a friend's brother is the writer of the Vader comics and he's written some other interesting things, such as The Wicked and The Divine, which I'm looking to get hold of over the next few months.

After seeing Captain America: Civil War I've also picked up some of the other TPB's around that, having read the main storyline a couple of years back.

Finally, I've had Sin City 1-4 on the shelf for years and just as I got around to getting 5-7 they published a new edition meaning they wouldn't line up on the shelf with the image on the spine. Walking past a second-hand shop the other day they had all the ones I was missing for a few quid each, so I snapped them up.

Plenty to be getting on with!

• Upvote 1

Sin city is fantastic

Love the artwork. The black and white with the odd colour is great. Cant remember whick one but the main female character had blue eyes,the piercing blues eyrs against the dark backgrounds really brought something else.

Amazing how such small things can transform the look. A bit similar to the little girl in the red coat in Schindlers List

I've finally started Preacher, years after it first caught my interest.

Other than that, I've been catching up on The Walking Dead and the Darth Vader comics. Turns out that a friend's brother is the writer of the Vader comics and he's written some other interesting things, such as The Wicked and The Divine, which I'm looking to get hold of over the next few months.

After seeing Captain America: Civil War I've also picked up some of the other TPB's around that, having read the main storyline a couple of years back.

Finally, I've had Sin City 1-4 on the shelf for years and just as I got around to getting 5-7 they published a new edition meaning they wouldn't line up on the shelf with the image on the spine. Walking past a second-hand shop the other day they had all the ones I was missing for a few quid each, so I snapped them up.

Plenty to be getting on with!

Heard good things about that. The chap who wrote it was on the Distraction Pieces podcast a few months ago.

• 1 month later...

I only just saw that Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy's Light and Darkness War is available as a tpb now. Dead good book about a comatose Vietnam veteran who finds himself fighting alongside his dead comrades in a war against evil in another dimension.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I usually use Perfect Viewer for reading comics on my tablet. There is also a great program which would open and display even those files most others struggle with called GonVisor or something, although I don't know if it has an Android version.Some generic e-book readers also open comics.

• 3 months later...

Comicextra.com

I did not realise there was an industry outside of marvel and DC. Read some absolute belters on this on my iPad the last few days and all of them are free.

Gonna read back through this forum and see if any of the previous rec’s are on here.

Fill yer boots

• 2 years later...

Just finished A study in Emerald, graphic novel version of a Neil Gaiman short story. Synopsis below:

This supernatural mystery set in the world of Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos features the brilliant detective and his partner as they try to solve a horrific murder.

The complex investigation takes the Baker Street investigators from the slums of Whitechapel all the way to the Queen's Palace as they attempt to find the answers to this bizarre murder of cosmic horror!

Really enjoyed this and it has a good twist at the end which was nicely done even if I knew it was coming as I’ve read the short story it’s based on. Plenty of nods to the original Holmes series by Conan Doyle and the only problem I had with it is that it’s quite short at 85 pages. If you like Holmes, Lovecraft or both then I’d recommend it.

8/10. 

• 3 years later...

Random musings.

I've been reading Astro City, that's actually really good.

I was so looking forward to All Star Superman.

What an absolutely forgettable, pretentious mess that was.

So I don't think Grant Morrison is for me.

Paper Girls was fantastic as well.