You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has anyone checked out the Dredd comics published by IDW?

I wish I kept collecting the case files, I wanted to keep going and read more of the modern-ish stories, but I left my volume one in a bag on the bus, my mate accidentally left volume 2 in a box in his flat and they threw it out and I sold volume 3 for £12 on ebay when I was desperate for pennies and didn't want to sell any of my more cherished stuff.

Anyone know when the case files get really good and I might start collecting from there. I'm not fussed if they're in b&w, but I did find some of the early stories not to my tastes. No bad, just not what I was hoping for.

I found an 'inspirational manga' posted on *chan the other day and started reading it, not knowing what an 'inspirational manga' is. It's a Christian manga. Was actually pretty good, and the main character would look like a painters radio by the time I'd finished.

serenity-vol-2-cover1.jpg

Basically, she is a massive tom-boy and a slut until she slowly finds God. She spends the first three issues being a tom-boy and a slut but getting knocked back by the hot guy who is also a christian and a) doesn't like her sluttiness and b) won't get his dick wet before marriage.

Anyone following me on twitter would have seen me telling them to buy the Zenith reprint. Its an important comic (young Grant Morrsion) and the old reprint graphic novels are hard to come by. They've reprinted all 4 stories in hard cover for a ton. And theyve only made 1000 so you would have made money if you bought it - did anyone else get on it before it sold out?

Rebellion Sells Out of Controversial Reprint of Morrison's "Zenith" - Comic Book Resources

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read Marshal Law? I saw DC have released the omnibus and I read years ago it the first few parts were highly rated, then it trailed off a bit. 

I was happy to see they've started re-printing Animal Man post-Morrison too, definitely gonna pick them up soonish. 

You can currently pre-order Hickman's Fantastic Four omnibus volume 1 for £35 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantastic-Jonathan-Hickman-Omnibus-Volume/dp/0785165665/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=16B5W73RLBEEQ&coliid=I2KNRWX1C4T640 - I've not read it, but it's supposed to be great. I'm planning on picking up the John Byrne volumes first though I think. I've loved everything I've read from him and he's one of my favourite artists. 

There's far too many comics I want though. Even though I've still got a mountain to read, I'm always wanting more. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles?

V2_1.PNG

The plot follows (more or less) a single cell of The Invisible College, a secret organization battling against physical and psychic oppression usingtime travelmagicmeditation, and physical violence.

For most of the series, the team includes leader King MobLord Fanny, a Brazilian shamanBoy, a former member of the NYPDRagged Robin, a telepath with a mysterious past; and Jack Frost, a young hooligan from Liverpool who may be the next Buddha. Their enemies are the Archons of Outer Church, interdimensional alien gods who have already enslaved most of the human race without their knowledge.

Anyone read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles?

V2_1.PNG

The plot follows (more or less) a single cell of The Invisible College, a secret organization battling against physical and psychic oppression usingtime travelmagicmeditation, and physical violence.

For most of the series, the team includes leader King MobLord Fanny, a Brazilian shamanBoy, a former member of the NYPDRagged Robin, a telepath with a mysterious past; and Jack Frost, a young hooligan from Liverpool who may be the next Buddha. Their enemies are the Archons of Outer Church, interdimensional alien gods who have already enslaved most of the human race without their knowledge.

Sounds awesome, downloading the first book now.  I'll buy it if I like it.  Nice one.

I heard about it on a two part podcast with him.

A really interesting bloke and a great writer

http://smodcast.com/episodes/grant-morrison-bat-bard/

I have seen a couple of of good DC52 hardcover collections have been released i fancy getting,has anyone bought anything like them before and if so are they worth getting quality wise?

51ofxUOtwPL.jpg

Dc Comics: the New 52 Zero
In September, DC Entertainment reveals the origins, secrets and shocking fates of top Super Heroes in 56 special #0 issues starring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern and more! Now, these issues are collected in a massive hardcover just in time for the holiday season, with stories written and illustrated by top talent including Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Jim Lee, Brian Azzarello, Scott Snyder and many more!

• Hardcover: 1328 pages
  • Publisher: DC Comics (25 Dec 2012)

• 2 weeks later...

Just won the Marvel Graphic novel collection on ebay.

Not bad £103 for 49 books

The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home - 
Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix 
Iron Man: Extremis - 
The Ultimates: Super-Human - 
The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom 
Thor: Reborn -
Captain America: Winter Soldier 
The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams - 
Wolverine: Wolverine 
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted -
Captain Britain: A Crooked World -
Avengers: Forever Pt 1 
The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Captain America: The New Deal
Marvels
Avengers: Disassembled
New X-Men: E is for Extinction
Secret War
Avengers: Forever (Part 2)
Daredevil:Born Again
She Hulk: Single Green Female
Marvel Zombies
The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 1)
Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Part 1)
Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility
Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (Part 1)
The Mighty Thor: In Search of Gods
Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 2)
Captain America: The Chosen
New Avengers: Break Out
Spider-Man: Blue
New X-Men: Imperial
House of M
Wolverine: Origin
Fantastic Four: Unthinkable
Fallen Son: Death of Captain America
Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Part 2)
The Ultimates: Homeland Security
Wolverine: Weapon X
Daredevil: Guardian Devil

• Upvote 1

Not read them all, but there's definitely some great comics in there. Don't bother with that new 52 omnibus though. I stopped collecting single issues a while ago, but I bought guy a few of them for a while and I wouldn't class any of them as must read. ASW was probably my favourite and it wasn't even a super hero comic. Batman is good though. Of course now most of the writers have changed so I don't know if any of these books are good. I collected up to about issue 7. Personally I dunno why they bothered relaunching the titles, a few characters could have done with a reboot, but to do away with lots of old storylines and characters was stupid. 
Good - 
Batman, Batwoman, Batman and Robin, All Star Western, Animal Man and Swamp Thing
Decent -
Justice League, Aquaman, the Flash and Wonder Woman

Soon be my birthday so gonna treat myself to some comics. Got my eye on finishing off my TMNT hardcover collection and some Bill Mantlo's Hulk collections. He took over in the 80s and though I've not ready any of his stuff, it's supposed to be just as good as Peter David's who is considered the best writer of the Hulk ever. His work on Spider-Man in the 70s is great stuff. Dude was hit by a car in the 90s and no needs full-time care. A real shame because what I have read by the guy is not like your usual cheesy, dated stuff and he'd probably still be making some coin in comics today. 

Ill have a look thanks

I have most of the first 6-8 issues of the new 52 stuff.Everyone has Scott Snyder's Batman as by far the best book,i do like the start of Aquaman though.Ive just finished readingPunisher year one which was a great origin and start,now on to Plane Hulk at the moment.its pretty good.It leads into World War Hulk and the Marvel Civil war.The animated film is pretty good though they had to take the Silver Surfer out due to not having the license.Its on youtube in full and worth the 70-90 mins.

If you like the animated films and series i have PM you a link to a good site,and if you have not seen it check out the Dark Knight returns part 1-2 films.

I could never get into Planet Hulk or WWH. I read them but I haven't read a decent take on the character in a long time. I think you've gotta go back to basics with the big green freak. Last time I read Hulk there was a red Hulk roaming around and it turned out to be Thunderbolt Ross and last I heard, his daughter (Bruce's lass or ex or w/e) is now the Red She-Hulk. Sounds like a mess to me. Hulk was at his best when he was an angry loner, but with some intelligence. He's one of them characters you could do whatever you want with. You can make him as basic or as complex as you like. I'll have a check of the film though mate. I tend to watch some of the old Marvel cartoons on netflix if I can't sleep. That X-Men cartoon from the 90s is spot on. 

Punisher is a different story though. Everything since the relaunch in the 00s is good-to-awesome. The Punisher Max stuff especially. I'm a big fan of 80/90s comics, but a lot of the older Punisher stuff I read is too tame. Maybe I've just read the wrong issues, but the stuff I read had him dealing with super heroes and villains, when really the character is at his best when he's mowing down crime families and other realistic threats. 

• 1 month later...

The Shadow: Blood and Judgement by Howard Chaykin is great and I've really enjoyed the conclusion of Locke and Key - well worth looking into if you haven't already. First ish of The Saviors is pretty good as well - alien invasion in a small town.

• 1 month later...

Afternoon.

Finally got my tablet sorted for viewing comics and I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm going to read a few series that I've been meaning to for a while like Sandman, but I'm really after you kind folks pointing me in the direction of some stand alone comics, rather than big series.

I've read a fair few of the most famous one already - Superman Red Son, Maus, V for Vendetta, The Dark Night Rises etc... - but mainly looking for something similar to these, or I might have a look at some that have had films made of them like Road to perdition.