You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Police are cunts

Malarkey

Speed awareness course, £85, fine.

Then insurance companies start asking if you've been on a speed awareness course.

Then don’t go too fast. Or go really fast so they can’t catch you.

56% of journeys are 5 miles or less. Driving at 35 instead of 30 will save you fuck all.

It can always be argued that lowering the speed limit will save lives and for anyone arguing against that its very difficult. I do understand that every road death is tragedy but the very fact we allow motor vehicles at all means we are as a society prepared to accept some trade off between use of vehicles and deaths they cause, We already have safe roads in comparison with other countries and my view is that speed limits with current levels of discretion are about right, I would argue on certain stretches of motorway they could be a little higher when conditions are good.

If police are serious about making roads safer then employ resources to catch those still drinking or drugged up, confiscate cars from those driving without licenses or insurance, Tackle kids on bikes , again confiscating them for serious offences, make cyclists have 3rd party insurance and understand laws apply to them . Finally more public information films aimed at pedestrians who think if they cross roads with headphones they are immune from getting squashed, Real initiatives are not self financing fines based policies but require proper funding and more officers not gizmos and cameras,

• Upvote 2

I think things are fine as they are, as per magicrat's post above.

What I don't think would be a good idea is targeting drivers going at 1mph over the speed limit.

They won’t be ‘targeting’ anyone. They’ll just change the settings on the machines. I’d imagine most tickets are done automatically rather than by traffic coppers. So all the bollocks about ‘catching real criminals’ is exactly that.

It doesn’t seem to be the speed that’s annoying people but rather than not being able to break limit by a little bit. What’s the difference in 35 and 36 in terms of reaction times and chance of death? Must be marginal, so why criminalise one and not the other.

Drive slower you bunch of Sterling Moss twats.

Don't be a prick when you know nothing of the road,where it is,or the circumstances of the situation.

I'm sure everyone who ever killed someone while speeding thought the circumstances of the situation were completely fine too. Speed limits are there for a reason.

They won’t be ‘targeting’ anyone. They’ll just change the settings on the machines. I’d imagine most tickets are done automatically rather than by traffic coppers. So all the bollocks about ‘catching real criminals’ is exactly that.

It doesn’t seem to be the speed that’s annoying people but rather than not being able to break limit by a little bit. What’s the difference in 35 and 36 in terms of reaction times and chance of death? Must be marginal, so why criminalise one and not the other.

Drive slower you bunch of Sterling Moss twats.

I mean targeting in the sense of all drivers as a whole, not specific drivers. 

Actually, I hope they bring this in now and you get done for doing 31 in a 30 zone.

Speed awareness by 15th.

Already had one for doing 41 in central Milton Keynes.  Yeah, I deserved it, but it was the end of a 6 hour journey and I was desperate for a shit.

I was completely spaced out from a stag weekend.  I wasn't under the influence of anything at the time, but there were some, um, chemicals in the glove compartment and I looked like a junkie after about two hours sleep.  I was shitting myself, but the copper didn't search my car thank fuck.

• Upvote 1

I drive a company vehicle that's fitted with a Telematic system that apparently reports back if we're speeding or braking and cornering too harshly, so I have had to adjust my driving somewhat (lots) to compensate for it.  I don't believe in speeding through town centres, villages or built up areas anyway.  Then I bought a bike last year, and it became a different ball game in terms of speed.  I still stick to 30 and 40 where I'm meant to, but once I'm out on the open road speed limits tend to be forgotten about.  It gives me a conflict though, I know I risk losing my job if I get caught at over a ton, but the adrenaline rush I get at nearly 150mph is addictive.  Hearing the howl of the exhaust pipe as I'm cranking the revs up and changing up the gears is pure exhilaration.

It's sure to end in tears, one way or the other.  But fuck it, you only live once.

I'm sure everyone who ever killed someone while speeding thought the circumstances of the situation were completely fine too. Speed limits are there for a reason.

Do you drive regularly? The point people most sane people are annoyed about is not getting done for purposefully speeding. Experience of driving has you aware of what is ‘nearly’ bang on 30mph, which is a correct speed to drive at. The ‘buffer’ of just going over is in case you misjudge it to a small percentage. Most aim for 30 but sometimes will go slightly under or sometimes slightly over unless you have your eyes glued to the speedo rather than the road. I’m sure if you stepped out into the road you would rather be missed by someone doing 34mph actually watching where they were going than someone driving into you at 29mph who is fixated on the speedo.

If you and that snide copper who was on about doing people at 31 do drive I would love it if someone followed you round permanently making sure you never, ever exceeded the speed limits.

I drive a company vehicle that's fitted with a Telematic system that apparently reports back if we're speeding or braking and cornering too harshly, so I have had to adjust my driving somewhat (lots) to compensate for it.  I don't believe in speeding through town centres, villages or built up areas anyway.  Then I bought a bike last year, and it became a different ball game in terms of speed.  I still stick to 30 and 40 where I'm meant to, but once I'm out on the open road speed limits tend to be forgotten about.  It gives me a conflict though, I know I risk losing my job if I get caught at over a ton, but the adrenaline rush I get at nearly 150mph is addictive.  Hearing the howl of the exhaust pipe as I'm cranking the revs up and changing up the gears is pure exhilaration.

It's sure to end in tears, one way or the other.  But fuck it, you only live once.

Mate other people only live once as well. I would suggest if you want the buzz and risk your life take up sky diving or climbing,  

I’m still struggling to understand why you think you should be let off for speeding. ‘I’m sorry I was going too fast but car may be broken’ doesn’t seem to work.

Where did I say let off? I said that I saw my speedo a good distance away from the camera and was adamant I was doing less than 30mph. Unfortunately fighting it would cost more money that I don't have. Doing a speed awareness course that costs fractionally less than the fine is not much of an alternative in my book.

Where was it, John? In Runcorn? Do the sneaky bastards still park near Burger King waiting for people approaching from the Spur Road to catch people speeding about 20 yards on from where the limit drops from 40 to 30?

It was a local road by my parents house which I've travelled thousands of times. I am a pretty slow and careful driver anyway so this is another case of 'low hanging' fruit.

Where did I say let off? I said that I saw my speedo a good distance away from the camera and was adamant I was doing less than 30mph. Unfortunately fighting it would cost more money that I don't have. Doing a speed awareness course that costs fractionally less than the fine is not much of an alternative in my book.

So they have a reading from a speed camera and you have...if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

• 3 months later...

And here we go. A pretext to arming all officers. The slippery slope.

Andrew Keogh

@CrimeLineLaw

Chief constables are considering arming frontline police officers, to cope with the terrorist threat in rural areas of England and Wales.Officers responding to emergencies in remote locations where firearm units cannot be quickly deployed would be routinely armed

And here we go. A pretext to arming all officers. The slippery slope.

Andrew Keogh

@CrimeLineLaw

Chief constables are considering arming frontline police officers, to cope with the terrorist threat in rural areas of England and Wales.Officers responding to emergencies in remote locations where firearm units cannot be quickly deployed would be routinely armed

Taser or firearms? I can’t see coppers going for it, or the government paying the training costs. There’s an article on sky news saying officers are being put off from applying to firearms units.