You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Police are cunts

Malarkey

I used to have a very brash boss who was pretty unafraid of the courts and being sanctioned by the law, he was working under the impression that the police would review the number of people who had exceed the speed limit (as caught by roadside camera) and then follow-up with the top 30% of those. This might be complete rubbish, it was highly amusing when they turned up to the office to ask why he hadn't paid the speeding ticket. Made me think of Limmy's Mr Mulvaney sketches 

The problem with the Police force,like pretty much every institution is that they are ultimately governed by politicians. You can have the best meaning top brass on the force but ultimately they have to jump to the wishes of some jumped up little hooray henry who hasn't got a clue about the law or crime telling them what they have to do otherwise they get even less funding than they already do.

The problem with the Police force,like pretty much every institution is that they are ultimately governed by politicians. You can have the best meaning top brass on the force but ultimately they have to jump to the wishes of some jumped up little hooray henry who hasn't got a clue about the law or crime telling them what they have to do otherwise they get even less funding than they already do.

Don’t you want to nationalise everything?

• Upvote 1

Probably not f***tball, but a lot of other areas. Energy, water, rail certainly. Why would they be better if the system is as you describe?

The taxpayer still owns the railways,but only the repair and upgrade side where profits cannot be made at all. It would be simple enough to charge the private companies for use of it and make them responsible for the appalling service they provide.

Going back to the Police force,its quite ironic that this tory government has turned them into an enemy of sorts as they have tended to use them to quell public order yet now they hardly give a shit.

Pretty simple isn't it

A nationalised company isn't there to squeeze every last bit of profit out the customer.

They can be run to benefit the nation rather than the few

Yes they can be but tell me who benefited from buying a Morris Marina

The profit element is needed to pay back the loan to pay for the nationalisation.

Surely we can buy it back for the cheap prices thatcher sold it off to her mates for.

As has been said for the railways can always charge them to use the lines they expect us to upkeep for them.

Im not saying there should be no profits but far better profits ploughed back into public works than some rich shareholders offshore account

Take the train bollocks back to the EU thread. This one's for slagging off the rozzers.

Yeah, back on track...

Both of our cars are calibrated 2mph above GPS accuracy. Which would we be meant to follow?

It’s a lot of nonsense.

Go and catch some real criminals, Chief Inspector

Yeah, back on track...

Both of our cars are calibrated 2mph above GPS accuracy. Which would we be meant to follow?

It’s a lot of nonsense.

Go and catch some real criminals, Chief Inspector

Got fined for doing 35 in a 30 zone just before christmas. Would have fought it but no way can I afford to hire a lawyer or risk an even larger cost if case was upheld. Other option is to attend a speed awareness course costing £85. Its a farce and nothing more than a money making exercise for the local chief constable to try and plug their lack of funding.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes they can be but tell me who benefited from buying a Morris Marina

A mate of mine won his class on a couple of road rallies with a Marina Coupe 5 or 6 years ago.

Oh well, i'll take it back then

In the light of such overwhelming evidence you had no other option really.

Takes a big man to admit a mistake. Kudos to you Mr Red

Got fined for doing 35 in a 30 zone just before christmas. Would have fought it but no way can I afford to hire a lawyer or risk an even larger cost if case was upheld. Other option is to attend a speed awareness course costing £85. Its a farce and nothing more than a money making exercise for the local chief constable to try and plug their lack of funding.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the money doesn’t go to the Police force whose area you were caught on. It goes into the Treasury Consolidated Fund. Some Chief Constables are more road safety conscious than others. It really depends on who is at the helm; you’d think as a Copper and son of a woman who died as a pedestrian on the roads i’d be reporting people left right and centre wouldn’t you? As it happens I gave one seatbelt ticket in 2004 and not one since. He was a right cunt though.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the money doesn’t go to the Police force whose area you were caught on. It goes into the Treasury Consolidated Fund. Some Chief Constables are more road safety conscious than others. It really depends on who is at the helm; you’d think as a Copper and son of a woman who died as a pedestrian on the roads i’d be reporting people left right and centre wouldn’t you? As it happens I gave one seatbelt ticket in 2004 and not one since. He was a right cunt though.

Easier to be tough on motorists than real crime though. Easy targets speeders, I wish they'd start to deal with the thousands of fucking idiots on the road first rather than someone travelling at 31mph. 

I have no problems with the police being road safety conscious, I do have problems with drivers being milked for speeding 1mph above the limit. 

When they are failing to deal with serious crimes they once again turn to the soft targets and it is no wonder people think they are cunts.

They don’t do that at all. A road death costs about a million pounds on average to investigate or there about, not solely paid for by Police forces but across the board. There is no one out there declaring an easy win dishing out a ticket and neglecting something in its place. Budgets for roads policing has been slashed in every force. There are far less dedicated officers out there than ever for traffic.

1mph over is a shitty bar to set I agree but given the massive jump in mortality just a 5mph increase gives I don’t have a problem with that.

1mph over is a shitty bar to set I agree but given the massive jump in mortality just a 5mph increase gives I don’t have a problem with that.

It's a shitty bar to set but you don't have a problem with it, how does that work?

1mph over would be preposterous.  It would result in the police targeting the low-hanging fruit of drivers 1mph over the limit to boost their own conviction rates. 

• Upvote 1

It's a shitty bar to set but you don't have a problem with it, how does that work?

1mph over would be preposterous. It would result in the police targeting the low-hanging fruit of drivers 1mph over the limit to boost their own conviction rates.

I didn’t agree with 1mph, I agreed with 5mph. The sentence was ambiguous I guess. The earlier post was moaning about 35.

But again stop banging on about conviction rates; it’s a bullshit falsehood.

Why would you fight it? You were going too fast.

• Upvote 2