You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v South Africa

Spy Bee

Harmison bowled some great stuff down at Hove this year. He took a hat trick, looked on decent form at times. But still looked fairly inconsistent at times. he really does need some more time in the County Scene and more wickets to get his confidence back.

He just looked more like himself from 04 et al; straighter arm and tall at point of delivery.

He will and always will boom it down leg now and then; that's part of the trouble facing him but he looked far more consistent and the pace comes from rhythm with him.

What a message it would send out to these cocky tits and the other meffs for next year by picking and publicly backing Fred and Harm for Leeds, the traditional English up and at em lads arena. Pace and spite.

Won't do it, though.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421

Fucking spineless wankers. Pisses me off this, what's the point of the openers being patient and making a start if the middle order is made of balsa wood? Arrggghhhh.

Fucking spineless wankers. Pisses me off this, what's the point of the openers being patient and making a start if the middle order is made of balsa wood? Arrggghhhh.

I don't get angry about it anymore, they've been like this for the greater part of my life.

Guest TK-421
I don't get angry about it anymore, they've been like this for the greater part of my life.

It's not often it bothers me either but it's becoming a real problem again and there are some talented batsmen in the line up who ought to know better. I haven't seen the wickets, was it good bowling or sloppy batting?

It's not often it bothers me either but it's becoming a real problem again and there are some talented batsmen in the line up who ought to know better. I haven't seen the wickets, was it good bowling or sloppy batting?

The lbw was a bit soft for Strauss, CumSteyn's bowling of Vaughan was pretty decent, Cook hooked a short ball high into the air.

It's virtually impossible for English batsmen to be dropped from the Test team, and it's always been the same. Bowlers come and go regularly but no matter how shit a batsman is he's picked for about 75 Tests in a row regardless. Cook, Bell, Collingwood all should have been dropped this summer but they're still being picked. At least one will have to go when Flintoff is back.

What is it with the English method that consistently produces batsmen that lack balls?

We've been unlucky today - the LB was vile and exposed the others; Steyn's was a pearler that would undo any right hander, Cook got a brute of a ball which spat off a length that he did well to fend off from in front of his face.

Overall, the outdoor culture the Southern hemisphere counts for a lot as does exposure to extremely competitive environments from a young age. The debate and research is endless but I think that's the core of it.

We've been unlucky today - the LB was vile and exposed the others; Steyn's was a pearler that would undo any right hander, Cook got a brute of a ball which spat off a length that he did well to fend off from in front of his face.

Overall, the outdoor culture the Southern hemisphere counts for a lot as does exposure to extremely competitive environments from a young age. The debate and research is endless but I think that's the core of it.

When I was over in Aus a few months ago, I was stuck by just how much open space is provided. It obvious to say they have more space, they do its a huge country, but the fields and facilities were very well maintained too. There were ovals (for Aussie rules and cricket) virtually every few miles. As you say the outdoor lifestyle of the southern hemisphere is also condusive to producing better players.

I also think the competitive nature of the 'colonies' also plays a part. They are determined and single minded to put one over the English at all costs and all times. We just don't have that degree of ambivalence towards our competitors.

When I was over in Aus a few months ago, I was stuck by just how much open space is provided. It obvious to say they have more space, they do its a huge country, but the fields and facilities where very well maintained too. There were ovals (for Aussie rules and cricket) virtually every few miles. As you say the outdoor lifestyle of the southern hemisphere is also condusive to producing better players.

I also think the competitive nature of the 'colonies' also plays a part. They are determined and single minded to put one over the English at all costs and all times. We just don't have that degree of ambivalence towards our competitors.

All bang on as ever.

Plus, they are rared playing 2-day games and sometimes games over seperate weekends, so batters are ingrained in the mentality that to bat is precious and value their wicket preciously - otherwise you may not get a bat for 3 to 4 weeks.

Compare that to our 50 over League format, where you get batting points form 45 overs if you pass 175 and declare; so everthing is geared to scoring as quickly as you can for 45 overs, ie the top three set a base and the middle and lower order fires off for 20-25 overs; that's not time for 5, 6, 7 to get in and repeatedly build big scores.

Dominic Cork played for his Club in Derby last weekend but batted for less than 30 overs or so, Tom Smith played in the Liverpool Comp - even at fully pro stage and even veteran, its part of the make-up.

We're behind the SH oppo before our lads get out of the age groups, never mind before they get to Test level.

Compare KP, Robin Smith and Allan Lamb with their English counterparts; Oais Shah, Rob Bailey, Graeme Fowler etc or any you like for intensity and committment, determination and application.

Bell and KP consolidating nicely now.

Thinking more about our problems with the top/middle order, I think the only two weaknesses are Vaughan and Collingwood. I get the feeling Vaughan will never get back to his 2003 best, but I wonder if Colly will.

Which is exactly the reason why Warne used to cut through England like a hot knife through butter!

How many more Tests do England play before the Ashes next year?

And for whoever said Smith was banging on about SA's bowling line-up, he had good reason- if you can afford to end the career of a bloke like Shaun Pollock prematurely, you must have something going for you.

Wondered how long it would be before the Aussie piped up.

Hehehe, imagine when the Ashes are in full swing next year! Will be on for fucking young and old then, it will!

Pietersen is a star by the way (in case you lads didn't see that yet!), about time an English batsman had some real balls and told the opposition to get fucked with his bat, ie Hayden, Ponting.

Which is exactly the reason why Warne used to cut through England like a hot knife through butter!

How many more Tests do England play before the Ashes next year?

And for whoever said Smith was banging on about SA's bowling line-up, he had good reason- if you can afford to end the career of a bloke like Shaun Pollock prematurely, you must have something going for you.

Polly retired from international cricket . He said that he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Polly retired from international cricket . He said that he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Well, I am glad I am wrong on that. It would have been a disgrace to dump him, he is one of the greatest players SA have ever had.