You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

23 hours ago, RedKnight said:

This is Dave Filoni, right? He's got a good feel for this.

Two of the new characters are called Skoll and Hati, it's definitely got Filoni's wolfy paws all over it.

I'd be shocked if Dume doesn't make an appearance in Lothal before the end of the series.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Fuck me, the dialogue. Makes Emmerdale seem like Glengarry Glen Ross.

Like I said, the most Star Warsy of Star Wars.

Lightsaber fights, maps to the location of something/one, droids, space battles, exploding X-Wing pilots, bad guys with masks and shit dialogue.

Not gonna lie, boss that. 

Dialogue is terrible, but I can live with that when the storyline appears like it is going into EU/Legends territory. 

Feels like a mid season finale, and she’s going to learn why Anakin was never going to be anything other than Darth Vader (what with him carrying Vaders lightsaber in WBW), while Thrawn turns up and it’s set in another universe. Which is what the brand has always needed. 

I like how Filoni hasn’t gone with the usual path with Sabine there, and used Baylon for that twist. He’s a boss character, Baylan, and I am a big fan of Shin Hati. In more ways than one, if you know what I mean. 

I think the criticism of the actress playing Sabine is fair. However I think she’s probably one the most difficult characters from Rebels l, to have recreated in to live action.

Tiya Sircar voiced her brilliantly in Rebels and captured all the emotions of the character perfectly, however, that is element is severely lacking from Natasha Liu Bordizzo. However Sabine has lost everything (her family to the Night of 1000 tears and the destruction of Mandalore along with Ezra) so this could be a purposeful performance. Suppose only time will tell, but it’s feeling pretty emotionless so far. 

I did like her fight with Shin Hati and her having her off over her lack of “power” 

The fight scenes piss all over anything from BoB and Kenobi.

I am also glad Marook wasn’t Starkiller (but will be interesting to see if we find out who he was as his helmet was blue at the start, while Sabine’s red)

Filoni is defo doing the right thing overall and I am all in for that journey into the Filoniverse. 

I haven’t noticed the dialogue, have no problems with the performances and love the look of the whole thing. In fact I’m really enjoying it. I reckon much of the criticism is fundamentally because middle aged Star Wars nerds can’t deal with such a female-centric show. Bet you anything they’ll all be wetting themselves now Anakin has rocked up. And then when Thrawn arrives… jizz tsunami!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I haven’t noticed the dialogue, have no problems with the performances and love the look of the whole thing. In fact I’m really enjoying it. I reckon much of the criticism is fundamentally because middle aged Star Wars nerds can’t deal with such a female-centric show. Bet you anything they’ll all be wetting themselves now Anakin has rocked up. And then when Thrawn arrives… jizz tsunami!

Nah, it's because they're poorly written. If you're into Rebels/Clone Wars then fair enough, maybe you have more context to view them in, but from what I've seen so for they're that modern Disney mix of 'stoic/bad ass' and not much else. 

Me and the Mrs have been watching the X Files again, it's boss, but I said the other day that if Scully - a great, strong female character in her own right - was written now, she'd be able to do kung fu and be absolutely infallible, and would constantly be dragging Mulder, who's thick, out of his own fuckups. 

Sounds good on paper as fanfiction, but it's not great drama. There's no hardships to overcome, no arc, no story. Much like with the contrast between Rey/Luke's journey. One was a hapless kid that gets pushed around in bars, three films later ends up as a Jedi Knight. You root for them, pity them, are excited for them.

The other fixed the Falcon, flew the Falcon, bested Ren early doors, healed people, brought them back from the dead, escaped using mind powers, destroyed ships with force lightning, sliced a Tie Fighter in half. Yeah great, but where's the journey? The development?

Star Trek Discovery is shite, absolutely shite, these days, the studio says it's because older/male basement dweller/serial killers don't like Burnham, the central female character, because she's a woman.

Yet in the mid 90s Star Trek had its own first female captain which nobody had a problem with.

Janeway was rounded. She was from Indiana, loved coffee, was brave, a scientist by trade, had a dog called Mollie, a mother figure, loved romance novels and a fantasy village and boyfriend in Ireland she'd created for herself on the holodeck. Believed in giving people second chances, fearless, stood toe to toe with the Borg. 

Michael Burnham can do king fu and has twice saved the galaxy (not just the Earth, but all lifein the galaxy). She cries a lot and huge people who cry a lot. Beyond that, I couldn't describe her.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

was written now, she'd be able to do kung fu and be absolutely infallible, and would constantly be dragging Mulder, who's thick, out of his own fuckups. 

Isn't Sabine the complete opposite of that and she's one of the main characters.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Isn't Sabine the complete opposite of that and she's one of the main characters.

The main introduction to her was breaking the rules, riding a motorbike and listening to heavy metal. She survived a lightsabre strike and figured out that map thing and that that droid's head had some info in it. She also fixed the ship while it was under attack and Ahsoka was outside fending off fighters in a space suit.