You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Here is my big problem with the new films,

at the end of jedi the empire was defeated,vader and the emperor dead,death star destroyed,rebels won.

Yet 20 years later the empire have just rebranded themselves and are led by kevin the teenager and a pale imitiation of the emperor,and the rebels are still the rebels,

they had a chance to start a while new narrative,maybe build the republic back up and have numerous splinter emipre dissident groups in a battle for power.

instead they just made a new hope again.

shoite.

Thought it was alright, it's better than nothing but if it wasn't called Star Wars it'd be on the Sci-Fi channel after hours. 

I've got the same beef with this as I had with Picard in that it takes until the penultimate episode to actually get a beat on what's going on, you just keep watching because you're waiting to find out what's going on, rather than by the actual drama of any individual episode itself.

Andor wasn't like that, nor was Boba Fett, Kenobi and Mandalorian, the drama/action/exposition was more evenly spaced out, not completely backloaded. 

46 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Here is my big problem with the new films,

at the end of jedi the empire was defeated,vader and the emperor dead,death star destroyed,rebels won.

It's the problem with Star Wars (especially the main films) being such a small story played against a grander story that you rarely see.

The Emperor and Vader die in RotJ but that doesn't really mean the empire has been defeated, you still have zealots similar to Thrawn, Tarkin, Hux and and Krennic throughout the galaxy who buy in to the ideology of the empire.

Then you have characters like Kylo Ren, Morgan Elsbeth and Baylan Skoll who are indifferent to the idea of an empire but crave the kind of power that Vader and Palpatine wielded.

The First Order were relatively small in comparison to the Empire they were a more well funded rebellion until JJ Abrams started pulling Star Destroyers out of the dirt.

Then you have the hubris of Sentaors Xiono, Rodrigo, Mawood who believe the threat of the empire is gone (whether naively or for nefarious reasons) butting heads with people who actually fought in the war and refuse to believe peace has been achieved, like Hera, while Mothma has to try and balance the sides.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've got the same beef with this as I had with Picard in that it takes until the penultimate episode to actually get a beat on what's going on, you just keep watching because you're waiting to find out what's going on, rather than by the actual drama of any individual episode itself.. 

I’ve no issue with that, it’s clear that they are slowly building up the First Order becoming the new threat given this and Mando.

Ahsoka leaving for a brand new galaxy (completely new territory in Star Wars I think) has been built up well I think, it’s certainly not something that can happen early on in a season. 

Thrawn leading that and the first order coming back to the main galaxy will be massively explored over the coming years in multiple projects, I’d wager.

One good example of when SW did something too early into a story would be the god awful “Somehow, Palpertine returned” from the god awful Rise of Skywalker. 

Not sure if we ever get to the rise of the First Order as we know it, you're looking at a 25-30 year gap they have to bridge and lots of uncomfortable retreading of Snoke and Kylo Ren's origins that they might not want to touch.

We might get to a proto-version of it with Thrawn but at some point I'd like them to abandon the Episode 1 - 9 timeline and go explore the start of the Rule of 2 and the Jedi in their pomp.

Take us back a thousand years and give us the rise of Revan and/or Bane.

Acolyte might give us some of that but it's only 100 years before EP1

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

It's the problem with Star Wars (especially the main films) being such a small story played against a grander story that you rarely see.

The Emperor and Vader die in RotJ but that doesn't really mean the empire has been defeated, you still have zealots similar to Thrawn, Tarkin, Hux and and Krennic throughout the galaxy who buy in to the ideology of the empire.

Then you have characters like Kylo Ren, Morgan Elsbeth and Baylan Skoll who are indifferent to the idea of an empire but crave the kind of power that Vader and Palpatine wielded.

The First Order were relatively small in comparison to the Empire they were a more well funded rebellion until JJ Abrams started pulling Star Destroyers out of the dirt.

Then you have the hubris of Sentaors Xiono, Rodrigo, Mawood who believe the threat of the empire is gone (whether naively or for nefarious reasons) butting heads with people who actually fought in the war and refuse to believe peace has been achieved, like Hera, while Mothma has to try and balance the sides.

I just think they could have tried something new.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best star wars spin off feature,almost,entirely new characters (andor and rogue 1 in particular)

4 hours ago, Jennings said:

I once went to a wedding on Naboo. I was late because I picked up a girl dressed in Princess Leia bikini garb, from a cantina in Dantooine. The bride didn't show up, so I got the groom in a headlock and gave him the bumps. Great days.

I knew I’d seen this story before

IMG_0781.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Thought Thrawn was excellent, Mikkelsen nailed the character at this early stage. 

Loved the fucked up stormtroopers.

Wonder if those were spaati cloning cylinders they were taking out of the mountain?

The one actor who was born to play Thrawn but never will was Jeremy Brett, he would have been spectacular.

• Upvote 2