You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Ex Red Pundit

Section_31

Prompted by the Houghton thread.

IMO it is and always will be, Ian St John.

The way he spat his dummy out when Evans got the bullet and then proceeded to call Houllier 'The Frenchman' for the next six years, and never - ever, give credit where it was due.

His football understanding with regards the modern game is also virtually nil, and he begins every footy insight with the words 'Shanks used to say...'

Prompted by the Houghton thread.

IMO it is and always will be, Ian St John.

The way he spat his dummy out when Evans got the bullet and then proceeded to call Houllier 'The Frenchman' for the next six years, and never - ever, give credit where it was due.

His football understanding with regards the modern game is also virtually nil, and he begins every footy insight with the words 'Shanks used to say...'

Mark Lawrenson with out a shadow of a doubt

Funny how St John virtually dissapeared from the airwaves when it became apparent that 2001 might actually turn into a decent season, and I dont think he really appeared again until early 2003 when it was becoming apparent that everything was going tits up.

The phone-ins were the nadir of St John's media career, every caller would start with the words "I didn't get to the game today saint but..."

Then St John would start spouting shit about whoever, and then say something 'Shanks always used to say pass it back to the keeper and slow the game down, and we're no doin that, and the Frenchman has to take some of the blame!'

St John has to be the worst. The man isn't just bad, he's spiteful and vindictive, which you can't say about the others. I actrually think Lawrenson is ok - he talks shite sometimes, but still obviously loves the club, as does Hansen. Thompson and Aldo are the best. They not only love the club but still feel every kick of the ball.

The phone-ins were the nadir of St John's media career, every caller would start with the words "I didn't get to the game today saint but..."

Then St John would start spouting shit about whoever, and then say something 'Shanks always used to say pass it back to the keeper and slow the game down, and we're no doin that, and the Frenchman has to take some of the blame!'

During Houlliers time in charge, my dad was listening to the phone in while waiting to pick me up after a game. He said this caller came on and asked St John why he didnt have the decency to call GH by his name instead of the Frenchman, and would he like it if he was referred to as the Scotsman. He was promptly cut off, and the "wonderful" Phil Easton said, "thanks for that, oh well you cant please everyone Saint".

St John has to be the worst. The man isn't just bad, he's spiteful and vindictive, which you can't say about the others. I actrually think Lawrenson is ok - he talks shite sometimes, but still obviously loves the club, as does Hansen. Thompson and Aldo are the best. They not only love the club but still feel every kick of the ball.

Agree with all of that.

Passion and first-hand expert knowledge is what you want from your pundits and you get that from both Aldo and Thomo, they have no agenda either and will give full credit to the other side if they deserve it.

With St John you get the feeling he'd rather be in his back garden having a cider, and that all this 'modern football nonsense' is just getting in the way of his day, but that to amuse himself, he might just slag somebody off while he's there.

During Houlliers time in charge, my dad was listening to the phone in while waiting to pick me up after a game. He said this caller came on and asked St John why he didnt have the decency to call GH by his name instead of the Frenchman, and would he like it if he was referred to as the Scotsman. He was promptly cut off, and the "wonderful" Phil Easton said, "thanks for that, oh well you cant please everyone Saint".

Think I remember that Gaz! He was well protected on that show, which made it even more annoying.

The night Evans left there was a phone-in on City, and i got through to St John and called him on it (I always felt it was thinly veiled racism because of the way he talks about foreign management or players). I couldn't hear it on the other end of the phone, but apparently he went apeshit. Ha.

St John without doubt ... bitter nasty bag of shite he is.

Digga was a very astute pundit ...just a complete bag of shite as a presenter.

The worse pundit of all time from anywhere in the known universe (ie - non-ex red) has to be ...........

Paddy Crerand

That man is and always has been one total fucking bag of shite. Indeed I apologise for the mental image I may have now placed in people's heads of that whining cunt ... just thinking of him has my teeth on edge.

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit Section 31.