You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

Thought the standard of the final was poor and england where even poorer. England strike me as a blood and thunder team and when they cant over power the opposition they struggle. Spain on the other hand were excellent and you could genuinely see some of their players making it in the mens games , some of their passing was at a very high level.  Best team won. The spanish lasses were also a lot fitter.

Most I’ve ever watched a womens game

Thought it was shit really . England apart from the first 10 minutes were second best . Seemed clueless in midfield and way too slow to get forward on the break . Couldn’t keep possession and the transition from the back was woeful. The two big lasses at CB couldn’t pick a pass to save their lives and with Spain pressing effectively England were pinned back most of the game . Only shock was they didn’t get thumped 3 or 4 

I’m in no hurry to watch more of this

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Most I’ve ever watched a womens game

Thought it was shit really . England apart from the first 10 minutes were second best . Seemed clueless in midfield and way too slow to get forward on the break . Couldn’t keep possession and the transition from the back was woeful. The two big lasses at CB couldn’t pick a pass to save their lives and with Spain pressing effectively England were pinned back most of the game . Only shock was they didn’t get thumped 3 or 4 

I’m in no hurry to watch more of this

They were brilliant throughout the tournament until today. They deserved to be in the final but let themselves down badly, no idea why. Judging them from just this one game is shit you ignorant sexest cunt. 

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Got no opinion on these games as not followed them at all - but what i do know is this country is unbearable with its entitlement and arrogance when it comes to national teams and it has even sadly been on display and getting worse with this womens stuff.

So for that reason I am made up Ingerlund have failed again - all this "it's coming home" shite.....fucking hate it - and as for the state of people when the mens stuff is on - just horrible.

How the fuck can something "come home 'when it's never even visited here?

• Upvote 1

Some harsh comments on here, it's not long been a pro sport i don't think and they get paid pennies if anything at all, the standard would always be lower (this is the reason I don't agree with having women players doing Premier league/mens international punditry) but fair play to them, they've acquitted themselves brilliantly and no doubt inspired a lot of women to get into the game both on and off the pitch. Great to see a full house at the stadium too.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

How the fuck can something "come home 'when it's never even visited here?

The whole thing is bollocks - what does it even mean?

It's like a weird cult the stupid cunts have formed and it gets worse every passing year.

Sadly even the women have been sucked up into it.

• Like 1

It's a good thing for the women's game that Spain won. They have some slight, nimble little players that move the ball around brilliantly. England are just brute force, bash their way through physically weaker players. When Spain played them in the Euros they were streets ahead of ahead, only England's size got them through.

6 hours ago, Pidge said:

"streetwise" - they were timewasting and falling all over the place. The ref was happy to allow it so why not, but let's not relabel it when we're spending the rest of the year complaining that teams are allowed to do it against us. 

Also think that's pretty patronising about the England side, they're pretty damn good (as you'd expect from the Euro champs) and this was without their best player (Mead) and captain. They started the WC struggling for goals and so it wasn't a shock to see them struggle against a side savvy enough to keep the game in the England half. It just took the game beyond their reach.

Spain did well, frustrating last half hour with the ref making some confusing decisions (or refusing to when it came to the girl on a yellow kicking the ball away), really good goal to win it. 

One thing I don't get is how many crosses they put in high, the margin of error for a cross not being reachable is much higher and most of these balls should be low or along the ground, just maximise the amount of time your players can attack the ball...

I should have said savvy instead of streetwise, but in either case, Spain went against what some would have you believe in that the women’s game doesn’t have shithousery in it. Spain, and others, have shown that isn’t the case, certainly in this tournament.

I didn’t wish to come across as patronising, and I agree as far as the women’s game goes, England have been one of the better teams, but even the captain said after the game that they weren’t at it today, they gave 100% though, no doubts about that, they didn’t try it on as much as the Spaniards so they were honest, they got stuck in, legally, so brave too. 
Having your better players out will always be a handicap, it likely explains why they were struggling at times, I thought Spain had them pretty much at arms length for most of the match, but particularly in the closing stages to see out the game.

Yes, the referee made some baffling calls, (but don’t they all!) and the Spanish girl was lucky not to get a second yellow when she kicked the ball away, but overall, sad to say, Spain were a level higher today and were worthy winners.

That there are several young players already in the squad and more likely to come through due to the increasing standard of the professional league in England and some also playing abroad, augurs well for the next World Cup I think, and if Weigman can be retained there should be optimism they can go one better next time.

• Upvote 1

What they need to do now is lose the manic hype, get focused and push on. They've raised awareness, but unless they cut out the ridiculous amount of exaggerated praise the game will decline rather than progress. I've seen games where a player will beat one player, move forward and then pass straight to an opponent, and the loss of possession will be ignored in favour of loudly saying what 'a great piece of play' preceded it (the same goes for shots sailing over the goal and what are still, alas, some truly awful flatfooted goalkeeping displays below international level).

They've got loads of ex-teammates, most of whom only recently stopped playing, as pundits, lauding their chums, and they've got some hyper-ambitious female commentators and presenters eager to be ultra-positive. It's really not helping.

They need now to set some standards to aspire to, get real in their coverage and get real on the coaching and tactical side as well - fitter players, technically and tactically better, too.

Oh yes, and they can also stop using the men's game to advertise the women's game. If the women's game can do without male pundits, the men's game shouldn't need the female ones. Respect is earned, not forced. Keep the games separate, let them push to improve or maintain their own levels, and stop meddling with a development that ought to be organic.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Butch said:

They were brilliant throughout the tournament until today. They deserved to be in the final but let themselves down badly, no idea why. Judging them from just this one game is shit you ignorant sexest cunt. 

On the issue of ignorance its  “sexist “ by the way and I think Nigeria would dispute your assertion England deserved to be in the final .

Anyway call me a cunt by all means , it seems to be the default response for many on here to posts they dislike but for the record I’m no misogynist . All manner of abuse can be hurled at male footballers but quite rightly imo we are far more respectful towards women players . Anyway if you enjoy the game and all the hype that goes hand in hand with England competing in most forms of international competition then fine .

15 hours ago, stringvest said:

I'd say in terms of skill and nous it's probably just below National League level.  It's a hard watch, particularly when you can see the number of poor decisions they make with and without the ball.  It will get better though.  

No way is it anywhere near National League level. Remember this?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-women-s-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html#

I ain’t no dinosaur but can we get real for a minute. It’s almost a different sport. 

There’s no shame in biology. They’re growing the game, which is sound, but all the comparisons to men’s footy should stop really. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Pete said:

Blimey! Fancy refs explaining their decisions to the crowd.

Worst possible thing they could bring into the PL. It's bad enough us getting fucked by Taylor and Tierney, but if I had to listen to them talking to us with their manc accents while they fucked us then that's too much. I'd probably run onto the pitch.

• Haha 1

Direct comparisons don't even work, it's pointless. Will only lead to "they have good fundamentals" type talk. There are prevalent skills in the men's game that barely exist in the women's, there are plenty of women playing with better technique than most men when you start getting to semi pro level so acting like they're lower than that is nonsense. You'd expect that in any pro Vs semi-pro comparison though, so it's not really a plus point either.

I swear half of these comparisons have some vicarious element to them. These women would have you on toast, regardless of what you tell yourself. Even in your prime, don't kid yourself.

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I swear half of these comparisons have some vicarious element to them. These women would have you on toast, regardless of what you tell yourself. Even in your prime, don't kid yourself.

I’m not disputing that. I’m fucking shite. 

Semi-pro football in this country isn’t though, and that’s leagues above. 

It’s basic science, Pete. You can’t argue with science.