You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Now we're sounding like the fucking bitters...

Strontium

Bob Paisley's posthumous knighthood has been knocked back by Tony Blair, which you're either happy about or not. But do we really need this kind of comment from our Official Supporters' Club?

Les Lawson, Merseyside secretary of the Official Liverpool Supporters' Club, said: "The facts are that Bob should have been knighted when he was alive.

"He was the greatest manager this country has ever produced and maybe if he had managed a club further down the East Lancashire Road he would have got the knighthood he deserved."

Sounds like the sort of comment Kenwright or Moyes would have made :wallbutt:

Guest stephenknapp

I'm not being unkind, but that Les Lawson comes across as a bit of a retard and a mummy's boy and a real embarrasment. I think he should stand down and be replaced by Les Dennis immediately.

What he is saying is utterly true though. They have had both Ferguson and Busby Knighted, so why not Bob Paisley? I don't doubt if Bob was manager of Manchester United he would have been Knighted. The facts speak for themselves. It's not bitter it is just using facts to back up our argument.

That said the rules are rules, and sometimes it's better to just give it up.

What he is saying is utterly true though. They have had both Ferguson and Busby Knighted, so why not Bob Paisley? I don't doubt if Bob was manager of Manchester United he would have been Knighted. The facts speak for themselves. It's not bitter it is just using facts to back up our argument.

That said the rules are rules, and sometimes it's better to just give it up.

I was embarrassed by the whole charade.This is so called fans using the good name of a deceased person to get one over the Mancs.Bob was a humble person who always gave credit to his players. He would have hated all of this shit (in my opinion)

I was embarrassed by the whole charade.This is so called fans using the good name of a deceased person to get one over the Mancs.Bob was a humble person who always gave credit to his players. He would have hated all of this shit (in my opinion)

Not the opinion of his wife, she backed it.

As far as I'm aware the Queen doesn't pick them, the goverment does. It is far from surprising that Liverpool didn't get any empire-love during the eighties and since they aren't posthumously awarded that means he misses out.

They're bullshit anyway.

Knighthoods are useless. Look at who currently have them. Sir Elton John! Sir Sean Connory. Sir Anthony Hopkins. All fucking showbiz pricks. Knighthoods were originally given to, er well knights, blokes who fought for this country and were willing to die for it. Do todays 'knights' fit the criteria? Of course not, they're just a bunch of old men who happen to be on the telly now and again. Bob's memory should not be tainted by having this now pointless honour given to him.

Knighthoods are useless. Look at who currently have them. Sir Elton John! Sir Sean Connory. Sir Anthony Hopkins. All fucking showbiz pricks. Knighthoods were originally given to, er well knights, blokes who fought for this country and were willing to die for it. Do todays 'knights' fit the criteria? Of course not, they're just a bunch of old men who happen to be on the telly now and again. Bob's memory should not be tainted by having this now pointless honour given to him.

Actually, Knighthoods were originally given for exceptionally political reasons. In the days before full-time, professional, national armies, the king would buy favours from rich men with knighthoods and tax deals. So, "You be called Sir Thingio and give me a bit less of your cash, and I can use your men to fight my battles". The knights themselves weren't leading the charge; their men were.

Making a sweeping generalisation about the honours system - ie, "it's all shite" - is no different to making a sweeping generalisation about anything: it's mindless.

Actually, Knighthoods were originally given for exceptionally political reasons. In the days before full-time, professional, national armies, the king would buy favours from rich men with knighthoods and tax deals. So, "You be called Sir Thingio and give me a bit less of your cash, and I can use your men to fight my battles". The knights themselves weren't leading the charge; their men were.

Making a sweeping generalisation about the honours system - ie, "it's all shite" - is no different to making a sweeping generalisation about anything: it's mindless.

Except in this case ther sweeping generalisation is right. Cash for honours, awards for a cricket team doing what it should ( winning a home series) and then fuck all else, people knighted for doing their "jobs" entertaining and getting shedfulls of money. It would ahve more meaning if people doing public good received them.

I'm not too big on the Monarchy so can you explain to me how thinking the honours system which knights people or makes them members of a genocidal empire that no longer exists is mindless?