You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 03/05/2023 at 12:58, NoelM said:

City of Dreams by Don Winslow, a follow-up to the absolutely brilliant City on Fire.

The first book was about a war between the Irish and Italian mafia in Providence.

It mimics the story of The Iliad - I loved relating each character to it's corresponding Greek or Trojan.

The new book is excellent too, highly recommended.

Going to read the first once I've finished "And then she vanished' which is also very good so far.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read Paul Lake's autobiography I'm Not Really Here and thought it was excellent. Shocking 'treatment' of his original injury cost him his sport's career. He also nearly died in a tongue swallowing on pitch incident. Both events paved the way for better player injury treatment that we take for granted now. 

He comes across as a normal lad whose dreams came true but were shattered at the height of his rise. He played for City pre-cheating era when they were a proper club.

• Upvote 1

Finished City on Fire, took a while to get into due to the amount of characters but once I did, I loved every minute. Got a few other books to get through but will be definitely reading the sequel.

The Sal character was definitely a rip off from The Sopranos though, not that I minded.

• Upvote 1

Halfway through 'The Blade Itself' audiobook by Joe Abercrombie and it's absolutely fantastic. The most engaged I've been with an audiobook ever, the narration by Steven Pacey is top class. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2023 at 14:50, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m looking for a good book about Mao and the Communist Revolution in China. 

Any decent recommendations?

On 16/04/2023 at 15:25, polymerpunkah said:

Frank Dikotter has three about Mao that are worth reading:

The Tragedy of Liberation

Mao's Great Famine

The Cultural Revolution

Mao definitely isn't the hero.

I’ve just ordered those three books as a set. Father’s Day present that I’ll be really surprised by when I’m unwrapping it. 

It’s my birthday at the end of the month so I surprised myself with this one as well. Looks boss. Just got to wait a couple of weeks before I can have it. 

Killing Thatcher: The IRA, the Manhunt and the Long War on the Crown https://amzn.eu/d/0Qw0sTK

FFCFC5B3-1A8C-43D2-8A53-785EB291534B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve just ordered those three books as a set. Father’s Day present that I’ll be really surprised by when I’m unwrapping it. 

It’s my birthday at the end of the month so I surprised myself with this one as well. Looks boss. Just got to wait a couple of weeks before I can have it. 

Killing Thatcher: The IRA, the Manhunt and the Long War on the Crown https://amzn.eu/d/0Qw0sTK

FFCFC5B3-1A8C-43D2-8A53-785EB291534B.jpeg

Audiobooked Killing Thatcher. Heavy. 

Reading Embers of War by Frederik Logevall. Quality. French Indo China into the Vietnam War. Top stuff.

• Upvote 2

"Killing Thatcher" sounds good.

I've read a few recently on "The Troubles", and quite a few over the years.

I'll look for it.

Coincidentally, I've been thinking recently about how I'd feel if Trump were to be assassinated. I suppose the same goes for her as well, or did, during her time in office. 

Are there circumstances where I'd accept a democratically-elected leader's assassination?

Haven't come up with an answer yet.

Started reading The Missing Lynx by Ross Barnett. Highly recommended for anyone with a passing interest in natural history. The guy is in the field and includes some really interesting scientific background alongside the well written descriptions and insights into Britain's extinct wildlife. 

"The Friends of Eddie Coyle" (audio)

George V. Higgins

One of my favourite movies, and the book is just as good.

It's a great story, but on top of that it's mostly dialogue, and he does a fantastic job telling the story while keeping the dialogue perfectly natural.

A real gem, IMO.

• Upvote 2

'Age of Extremes' by Eric Hobsbawn.

This was my first Hobsbawn book and it was excellent. It's a comprehensive yet still extensive socio-economic based history of the world from the October revolution to the fall of the U.S.S.R covering everywhere from Latin America, North America, Europe to Asia. Highly recommend this to any history buffs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

"The Friends of Eddie Coyle" (audio)

George V. Higgins

One of my favourite movies, and the book is just as good.

It's a great story, but on top of that it's mostly dialogue, and he does a fantastic job telling the story while keeping the dialogue perfectly natural.

A real gem, IMO.

Picked that up a while ago and never got round to reading it. Cheers for reminding me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Any good horror books I feel like reading a horror, not stephen king I've just read one his books are too formulaic to be read close together.

This is an interesting enough series, if you like world building type books. I listened to the audible version which was very well narrated by David Rintoul.

The Devil's Detective https://amzn.eu/d/d8IL3SH

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Any good horror books I feel like reading a horror, not stephen king I've just read one his books are too formulaic to be read close together.

This is from the last roundup I did last year if any of them catch your fancy:

Horror

Cunning Folk by Adam Nevill

Probably the best British Horror author around. He wrote The Ritual which Netflix made into a film. This is his latest one. 

Cunning Folk

Money's tight and their new home is a fixer-upper. Deep in rural South West England, with an ancient wood at the foot of the garden, Tom and his family are miles from anywhere and anyone familiar. His wife, Fiona, was never convinced that buying the money-pit at auction was a good idea. Not least because the previous owner committed suicide. Though no one can explain why.

Within days of crossing the threshold, when hostilities break out with the elderly couple next door, Tom's dreams of future contentment are threatened by an escalating tit-for-tat campaign of petty damage and disruption.

Increasingly isolated and tormented, Tom risks losing his home, everyone dear to him and his mind. Because, surely, only the mad would suspect that the oddballs across the hedgerow command unearthly powers. A malicious magic even older than the eerie wood and the strange barrow therein. A hallowed realm from where, he suspects, his neighbours draw a hideous power.

Dark Country by Monique Snyman

Dark Country

Too often people mistake monsters for gods. When a ravaged corpse is discovered in Pretoria, South Africa, Esmé Snyder―an occult-crime expert―is called in to investigate. But she doesn't know the scope of what she's up against. Esmé is the target of a cat-and-mouse game with a serial killer who uses the paranormal to do his bidding, with the intent of becoming a god on Earth. With assistance from her team―a brusque detective, eccentric millionaire, stoic priest, hawkeyed secretary, and handsome British forensic criminologist―Esmé hopes to find the killer before he strikes again. But the clock isn't all that's working against them. The media catches wind of the threat against the citizens of Pretoria, and their reported speculations promise a post-Apartheid Satanic Panic. As the body count grows, Esmé must figure out who is behind the heinous crimes before she ends up the final sacrifice. Dark Country highlights the multicultural mythologies, magic, histories, beauty, and horror of living in pseudo-modern South Africa.

Black Mouth by Ronald Malfi

Heard nothing but good things about Malfi's books. Going to start with these two.

Black Mouth

For nearly two decades, Jamie Warren has been running from darkness. He's haunted by a traumatic childhood and the guilt at having disappeared from his disabled brother's life. But then a series of unusual events reunites him with his estranged brother and their childhood friends, and none of them can deny the sense of fate that has seemingly drawn them back together.

Nor can they deny the memories of that summer, so long ago – the strange magic taught to them by an even stranger man, and the terrible act that has followed them all into adulthood. In the light of new danger, they must confront their past by facing their futures, and hunting down a man who may very well be a monster.

Come with Me by Ronald Malfi

Come With Me

Aaron Decker's life changes one December morning when his wife Allison is killed. Haunted by her absence―and her ghost―Aaron goes through her belongings, where he finds a receipt for a motel room in another part of the country. Piloted by grief and an increasing sense of curiosity, Aaron embarks on a journey to discover what Allison had been doing in the weeks prior to her death.

Yet Aaron is unprepared to discover the dark secrets Allison kept, the death and horror that make up the tapestry of her hidden life. And with each dark secret revealed, Aaron becomes more and more consumed by his obsession to learn the terrifying truth about the woman who had been his wife, even if it puts his own life at risk.

The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor

The Burning Girls

500 years ago: eight martyrs burned
30 years ago: two teenagers vanished
Two months ago: a vicar died mysteriously

Welcome to Chapel Croft.

For Rev Jack Brooks and teenage daughter Flo it's a fresh start. New job, new home. But in a close-knit community old superstitions and a mistrust of outsiders mean treading carefully.

Yet right away Jack has more frightening concerns.

Why did no one say the last vicar killed himself? Why is Flo plagued by visions of burning girls? And who is sending them threatening messages?

Old ghosts with scores to settle can never rest. And Jack is standing in their way . . .

From Below by Darcy Coates

From Below

Years ago, the SS Arcadia vanished without a trace during a routine voyage. Though a strange, garbled emergency message was broadcast, neither the ship nor any of its crew could be found. Sixty years later, its wreck has finally been discovered more than three hundred miles from its intended course...a silent graveyard deep beneath the ocean's surface, eagerly waiting for the first sign of life.

Cove and her dive team have been granted permission to explore the Arcadia's rusting hull. Their purpose is straightforward: examine the wreck, film everything, and, if possible, uncover how and why the supposedly unsinkable ship vanished.

But the Arcadia has not yet had its fill of death, and something dark and hungry watches from below. With limited oxygen and the ship slowly closing in around them, Cove and her team will have to fight their way free of the unspeakable horror now desperate to claim them.

Commodore by Philip Fracassi

Short story at about 90 pages but looks good and the author has got a couple of interesting looking books due out in the next year or so.

Commodore

There is a legend in the town of Sabbath that tells of a haunted car lost somewhere in the local junkyard. Young Jim Honeycutt and his friends have decided that they're going to find it today.

Unfortunately for them, they do.

And the ghost stories of that old Commodore can't even touch the horrors they are about to experience...

Beneath the Rising by Premee Mohamed

I like Lovecraft themed stuff so I'll check this series out.

Beneath the Rising

Nick Prasad has always enjoyed a quiet life in the shadow of his best friend, child prodigy and technological genius Joanna ‘Johnny’ Chambers. But all that is about to end.

When Johnny invents a clean reactor that could eliminate fossil fuels and change the world, she awakens primal, evil Ancient Ones set on subjugating humanity.

From the oldest library in the world to the ruins of Nineveh, hunted at every turn, they will need to trust each other completely to survive…

I've also got my eye on this and will probably make this my next horror read after I finish the Star Wars books I'm reading. It's out mid-July and I fancied it anyway but seen Stephen King praising it after reading an advance copy.

Boys in the Valley

St. Vincent's Orphanage for Boys. Turn of the century, in a remote valley in Pennsylvania.

Here, under the watchful eyes of several priests, thirty boys work, learn, and worship. Peter Barlow, orphaned as a child by a gruesome murder, has made a new life here. As he approaches adulthood, he has friends, a future. . . a family.

Then, late one stormy night, a group of men arrive at their door, one of whom is badly wounded, occult symbols carved into his flesh. His death releases an ancient evil that spreads like sickness, infecting St. Vincent's and the children within.

Soon, boys begin acting differently, forming groups. Taking sides. Others turn up dead. Now Peter and those dear to him must choose sides of their own, each of them knowing their lives - and perhaps their eternal souls - are at risk.

The Exorcist meets Lord of the Flies, by way of Midnight Mass, Boys in the Valley is a chilling folk horror set in a remote orphanage in turn of the century Pennsylvania.

• Upvote 1