You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just read an absolutely brilliant book called Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It's ostensibly a fantasy novel (but without all the dull/nerdy shit) where it soon transpires it's set in the relatively far future of earth after some unspecified apocalypse which the planet has since recovered from.

Its main character is a 12 year old boy who leads a band of adult brigands in rape, murder and pillage as he attempts to take power and eventually become emperor. Clearly it's dark as fuck and full of intrigue, treachery and manipulation.

It's part of a trilogy, the second of which I'm now reading, and is fantastic. Best book I've read in ages.

You get through some books mate!

I have only just started reading the Elvis Cole stuff, it's okay but not enjoying it as much as Bosch/Parker.

Just read an absolutely brilliant book called Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It's ostensibly a fantasy novel (but without all the dull/nerdy shit) where it soon transpires it's set in the relatively far future of earth after some unspecified apocalypse which the planet has since recovered from.

Its main character is a 12 year old boy who leads a band of adult brigands in rape, murder and pillage as he attempts to take power and eventually become emperor. Clearly it's dark as fuck and full of intrigue, treachery and manipulation.

It's part of a trilogy, the second of which I'm now reading, and is fantastic. Best book I've read in ages.

You cost me a fucking fortune.

• Upvote 1

I haven't got round to this yet for some reason I can't remember now but I have read his second trilogy The Red Queen's War. Very good. Different protagonist and story but set in the same world. In fact I believe there is a moment when paths are crossed albeit very briefly between the two sets of characters.  

• Upvote 1

I finished reading Glitz, by Elmore Leonard, earlier and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's not particularly revolutionary, but is very entertaining and readable. I think I went through it in 4 sittings and would have been faster if I didn't have work. 7.8/10.

Just finished reading a book called The Girls. Loosely based on the Manson murders. The main character is a 14 year old girl that gets mixed up with the cult and narrowly misses out on being there the night of the infamous murders. It's told from a retrospective angle as she narrates as a middle aged woman but also flits back to the time and is told from her 14 year old adolescent perspective. It's main themes seem to be about adolescent teenage angst and not belonging etc.

I finished it but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd give it a passable 5/10.

Been having a look at what they're calling 'hick lit' recently (stuff from them there hill billy states) and although there were a few bits of shite I've been blown away by some of it. I think anybody who likes Cormac Mcarthy, Dennis Johnson, Ellroy and noir writing in general  would absolutely adore the following:

Crimes in Indiana by Frank Bill. A book of incredible short stories, blow your mind stuff!

The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell. Outstanding writing in all three.

Knockemstiff and The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. The first is an amazing book of short stories, the second a beautiful, disturbing novel. This fella should be up there with top selling authors, doesn't happen for some though hey?

Give them a go and you won't be disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through the third and can't recommend them enough. Brilliant books. Gruesome as fuck too, child murder, child rape, child murderers, torture, brilliant plot and really well planned. Talk about anti-hero.

• 2 weeks later...

Plodding my way through The Shining at the mo as it's supposed to be a classic and I like the film. I've not read any Stephen King before but I'm finding it hard going thus far, I'm about 200 pages in and bugger all's happened. I'm starting to skim read as otherwise I could bin it before I get to the end.

Plodding my way through The Shining at the mo as it's supposed to be a classic and I like the film. I've not read any Stephen King before but I'm finding it hard going thus far, I'm about 200 pages in and bugger all's happened. I'm starting to skim read as otherwise I could bin it before I get to the end.

Life is too short to read shit books. Fuck it off.

• Upvote 2

Been having a look at what they're calling 'hick lit' recently (stuff from them there hill billy states) and although there were a few bits of shite I've been blown away by some of it. I think anybody who likes Cormac Mcarthy, Dennis Johnson, Ellroy and noir writing in general  would absolutely adore the following:

Crimes in Indiana by Frank Bill. A book of incredible short stories, blow your mind stuff!

The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell. Outstanding writing in all three.

Knockemstiff and The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. The first is an amazing book of short stories, the second a beautiful, disturbing novel. This fella should be up there with top selling authors, doesn't happen for some though hey?

Give them a go and you won't be disappointed. 

Read something decent you cunts. Any of the above or anything by Jeremy Starr would knock seven kinds of shite out of all the stuff that's been mentioned in ages!

Currently reading the 2nd Jackson Lamb book. Decent but so slow. Got about a quarter of it left and barely anything has happened yet.

I've read the first two and now fucked them off for the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

John Connolly - A Game of Ghosts

Both started and finished this today. Not something I often do these days which in itself tells you something. Without wanting to give too much away it is a little different to previous books. The unstoppable force of vengeance that Parker so often personalizes is largely missing from this outing as Connolly has him playing catch up throughout most of the book. Also, and unusually, the antagonists - at least the ones in this world - are just a little bit incompetent compared to some of the foes he has faced in the past. This isn't meant as a criticism. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. In terms of the series as a whole the supernatural elements which have been playing a more prominent role in recent books continues here and we get a few more hints where this might be all leading. Only small hints though, this is John Connolly after all. 

Not reading that review yet.

However, I'm annoyed I haven't read the book yet yet as it's been on my Kindle for a week since publication date but I've been toiling with The Prestige and playing too much Horizon: Zero Dawn instead.

Not reading that review yet.

However, I'm annoyed I haven't read the book yet yet as it's been on my Kindle for a week since publication date but I've been toiling with The Prestige and playing too much Horizon: Zero Dawn instead.

Did you not like The Prestige? I read it years ago and whilst I can't remember too much about it, I think I enjoyed it. My wife read it the other week and thought it was long winded and dragged.

I read it in German for A Level (Im Western Nicht Neues) and never recovered. I should read it in translation I suppose - especially as one of my favourite ever books (La Peste by Albert Camus) was also read in the original language for school.

• Upvote 1