You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cisse

PaulMcC

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, I don't see any denials in English papers. The Echo certainly would have printed one. Smacks of a denial in the old home town. I also note the comments attributed to him inthe French press a short while ago, about wanting away from Liverpool. He then denied them to the English media.

Let me say first of all that I in no way condone, excuse, or underestimate domestic violence. However as this is such a serious topic it needs serious consideration.

I agree totally, and I take it very seriously.

Firstly, you missed my point that your experience is based on coming into contact with repeat offenders - you do not come into contact with those who commit one-off offences because they don't have any further contact with the criminal justice system.

I haven't missed your point. The majority of complainants who make a complaint of domestic violence to the police only do so after a history of violence against them. When they reach the end of their tether if you like. Almost every statement I've ever seen refers to previous incidents which have not been reported to the police. One appearance in court does not equate to one incident.

Secondly, your assertion that 'the reality is that if a man has hit his partner once, in the vast majority of cases he'll do it again' has no basis in fact. The British Crime Survey suggests that about 57% of the female victims of domestic violence experience more than one instance of violence - hardly 'the vast majority of cases'. Cisse is almost as likely to be a one-off offender - 43%.

As, like rape, a substantial number of incidents go unreported, the British Crime Survey is hardly the definitive guide in the matter. Ask all agencies dealing with domestic violence and you'll get a rather different picture.

If you want to compare annecdotal experience, my experience in three years of managing a hostel for homeless people was that every one of the women that came there escaping domestic violence later returned to their violent partner. It also needs to be said that women also commit domestic violence - you only talk of perpetrators as 'he'. You also portray women as passive victims with no free will.

I do not portray women as victims with no free will, and I agree that a lot of women return to the man. It is a very sad situation. But I think you'd have to agree that a lot of the women who came to your hostel had very low self-esteem, built up by the conditioning of their situation. Others also return because of child and financial burdens. You also say that I refer to perpetrators as "he", yet at the same time you have earlier quoted my original post in which I make it clear that both sexes suffer domestic violence. ;)

What Cisse did was abhorent but we don't know the full facts.

With respect, if you're argument is that you don't know the full facts, how can you say what he did was abhorrent? And if it was abhorrent, do you want him representing the club?

We were always happy to condemn Shilton, Gazza et al, but yet show reluctance because it's one of our own?

Did you say Cisse deffo for Defoe?

Nothing is deffo, but I'm being told the deal is Cisse for Defoe.

This could be rubbish. I know Spurs were interested in Cisse, but he told them that if he left then he'd want to go to Marseille so I'm surprised if this is true - maybe he's changed his mind. I know Pongolle sounded out a Spurs move a few months back so I thought if there were going to be any deal it might include Pongolle.

All in all I don't know anything for certain, but there's certainly some 'excitement' at Spurs today and the rumours are a Cisse for Defoe deal.

Nothing is deffo, but I'm being told the deal is Cisse for Defoe.

This could be rubbish. I know Spurs were interested in Cisse, but he told them that if he left then he'd want to go to Marseille so I'm surprised if this is true - maybe he's changed his mind. I know Pongolle sounded out a Spurs move a few months back so I thought if there were going to be any deal it might include Pongolle.

All in all I don't know anything for certain, but there's certainly some 'excitement' at Spurs today and the rumours are a Cisse for Defoe deal.

s'allright. i was being poetic. read it again and dig my alliteration

I agree totally, and I take it very seriously.

I haven't missed your point. The majority of complainants who make a complaint of domestic violence to the police only do so after a history of violence against them. When they reach the end of their tether if you like. Almost every statement I've ever seen refers to previous incidents which have not been reported to the police. One appearance in court does not equate to one incident.

As, like rape, a substantial number of incidents go unreported, the British Crime Survey is hardly the definitive guide in the matter. Ask all agencies dealing with domestic violence and you'll get a rather different picture.

I do not portray women as victims with no free will, and I agree that a lot of women return to the man. It is a very sad situation. But I think you'd have to agree that a lot of the women who came to your hostel had very low self-esteem, built up by the conditioning of their situation. Others also return because of child and financial burdens. You also say that I refer to perpetrators as "he", yet at the same time you have earlier quoted my original post in which I make it clear that both sexes suffer domestic violence. ;)

With respect, if you're argument is that you don't know the full facts, how can you say what he did was abhorrent? And if it was abhorrent, do you want him representing the club?

We were always happy to condemn Shilton, Gazza et al, but yet show reluctance because it's one of our own?

I quoted the British Crime Survey precisely because it isn't based on reported crime - it's not definitive but is generally agreed to be one of the more reliable indicators. But of course you know that ;)

I agree that the reasons people return to abusive partners are very complex, but the point I was making is that it's not a clear cut case of perpetrator and victim. Erin Pizzey estimated that out of the first 100 women to stay in her refuge 62 were violent.

Hitting a pregnant women is abhorent, and Cisse seems to have admitted that -but there may be mitigating factors ie reasons why it might not be fair to say he should never play for the club because he is likely to do it again.

I've never condemned Shilton and Gazza on those grounds - only for being tossers in general ;)