You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Southampton 0 (Feb 28 2024)

matchreportheader_dan.jpg

Three goals, another clean sheet and the kids step up. A perfect evening’s work then. Yes, it is I, Dan Thomas, to regale you with the tales of a midweek win in the FA Cup 5th round. Instead of a cup goalkeeper, Dave has cup match report writers!

It wasn’t as straightforward as the scoreline suggests but we’ll come to that. This result stands squarely on the shoulders of Liverpool’s Academy. It feels like we could have at least two breakout kids to step up into the first team in Bobby Clark and Jayden Danns, and James McConnell isn’t that far behind either if not an equal in the conversation. The Academy is in the best place it has been for a long, long time.

And yet, this match report felt like it could be significantly different at one point given that Southampton started really quickly. Everything about our start was slow, even fans arriving late en masse. Apparently there were bad problems with the ticketing system – I was straight in but from what I was told, the Southampton game was not appearing in people’s wallets and it wasn’t just a few people, it was causing bedlam outside the ground come kickoff time. Luckily I’d gone in early because Paul Natton’s bladder is not as capacious as it once was.

Anyway, back to the football – Southampton made a lot of changes, 8 in fact, and rotated heavily for this game. I think they would have done that no matter what team we put out because the reality is for them, and for Norwich in the previous round, the FA Cup is a distraction. Getting back into the Premier League is their priority and having lost 3 of their last 5 in the league they were always going to look at giving key players a rest.

For us, that was more or less the strongest team we could put out given the frankly ridiculous situation we have with injuries and we lost two more at Wembley. The team we put out was stronger than I expected, I was surprised that van Dijk started. I genuinely thought we might go with Quansah being the experienced centre half. Because the reality is that he has now played enough football to warrant the tag of first team player. Kostas starting made sense (even if his performance didn’t) and Gomez at holding midfield was…. unexpected. It wasn’t the greatest performance from a holding midfielder you’ll ever see but it wasn’t the worst either. It just goes to show you can put Joe Gomez wherever you need him to and he will get the job done.

However, the first 15 minutes were not a good watch. Southampton absolutely battered us quite honestly; they were ahead practically straight away but Mara slightly mistimed his run and the flag went up. Nice finish but we were carved open far too easily. That was only a taster of what was to come though. The visitors sensed a chance against a very youthful reds team and piled forward. Joe Aribo in midfield was running the show and he took control of a loose ball, played in Sulemana on the wide left only for his low shot to hit the post.

With an inexperienced midfield on the park it was no surprise that we were losing every 50/50 but that’s what was happening. Southampton hoovered up every loose ball and played some nice football. I was very critical of Norwich in the last round for trying to pass their way around a front three of Diaz, Nunez and Jota but Southampton played around at the back and into midfield very nicely. As the half wore on, we got wise to it and almost nicked the ball a few times but for the first half an hour we struggled to get on the ball.

Kelleher made a couple of sharp saves, including a really good one from Mara. That came from McConnell being dispossessed. Van Dijk played a simple ball to the midfielder and he tried to turn – he was simply muscled off the ball and Mara’s low shot was really well saved by Kelleher. I’ve been critical of him this season but last night and at Wembley, he showcased how good a goalkeeper he actually is.

From the subsequent corner, Rothwell jinked into the box from a second ball (a theme all night with second balls) and placed his shot just wide. It honestly felt like a Southampton goal was an inevitability. It took us 15 minutes to have a shot of any kind, when all the dickheads in the crowd shouted SHOOOOOT and Joe Gomez did – it only just landed in the lower tier. We just couldn’t wrestle control of the game.

Ultimately it was that midfield battleground and Clark and McConnell were simply getting overpowered physically. Technically, they both showed nice touches but that’s where Southampton were getting their joy – winning the ball and looking early for either flank but especially Sulemana on the left, who was direct and tricky. He went on a run and went in between both Bradley and Quansah before hitting his shot straight at Kelleher. It was a good run but some real naivety and inexperience from our lads to let him go in between him. At least boot him if he gets through you both, eh lads?

After that the game settled down and we started to get into it a bit more. When we had possession we were tidy with it and worked some nice overlaps and forced a few corners. We took the sting out of the game, calmed it down and looked a much better team as a result. Gomez grew into his role and won the ball back nicely a few times – our biggest threat always looked like it was going to come from Bradley though.

Elliott had a shot tipped wide and we suddenly went in front and what a moment for Lewis Koumas. Shout out to Bobby Clark here because he injected himself into the game at the perfect time, driving in from the left and fizzing in a ball to Koumas, who jinked himself into a shooting position. It hit the defender on the calf and flew into the bottom corner. The ground properly erupted – relief and ecstasy, because who doesn’t like a debut goal? Serious business for Koumas who was understandably delighted – chalk one up to the Academy.

One thing that I liked about this goal was that the superfan mouth on a stick sat behind me missed the goal. You know the sort – loudly complaining about the atmosphere and people not singing. He was so much a better fan than everyone else that he went down for a half time burst and missed the goal. He is also so much a better fan than everyone else that he left about 30 seconds before the 3rd goal. Glorious.

It reminds me of that time I was watching Premier League Darts at the Echo Arena and a gang of young lads behind me were pissed up and kept spilling beer down our backs. My mate told them in no uncertain terms that if it happened again he’d use them as a dart and they apologised and went downstairs to let the situation calm down and of course, replace the drinks they’d just spilled. As they were downstairs, they missed a 9 Darter. Exquisite.

Gakpo should have immediately doubled the lead but he tried to clip a shot and missed the target. I initially thought the goalkeeper had saved it but looking at replays, he just missed. Poor from him – as the experienced forward on the pitch I was looking for a lot more from him to be honest. The game just passed him by for long spells which seems to happen too often.

We nearly had a chance to nick another one just before half time as our press caught Southampton out with their extravagant passing around the back but the ball just ricocheted away from Clark – had he been able to take it in, we had runners left and right.

Half time and some relief. I don’t know what Kostas’ problem was, but he played like he had his boots on the wrong feet and as above, Gakpo needed to do more and lead the line. The kids had all done great.

Van Dijk came off, Konaté came on and we should have extended our lead but Gakpo scuffed a very presentable chance wide in keeping with his evening. Should have done better, should have been 2-0 but instead, Southampton lived on. Credit to them, they kept going and should have been level after a lovely ball in behind saw Sulemana hit a shot at the back post straight at Kelleher. With any composure at all, he’d have scored.

They had another great chance from a corner when a flick on saw two unmarked at the back post but Charles lashed it into the side netting. It was a quite incredible miss and it was actually their last chance. The game got into a pattern where we were in control and Southampton never got close again.

We’d brought Danns on before that miss for the hard working, but tiring Koumas and MacAllister soon followed. It’s no coincidence to me that he comes on and we find another level and possession was much tidier and progressive. McConnell played well but MacAllister stepped it up a level.

It was another FA Cup moment befitting of a Hollywood blockbuster TM as Jayden Danns scored his first goal for the club, and to be honest it feels like it could be the first of many. Smallbone (the best named player on the pitch) gave the ball away and Elliott swooped onto it and ran into space. He played a perfect ball through for Danns and for an 18 year old kid that finish is just ridiculous. He showed a certain Dutch international how to finish with calmness and composure as he lifted the ball over the goalkeeper. Game over.

We nearly extended that lead as Gakpo lead a counter attack and ran with it from pretty much the edge of his own box. He held off three attempted fouls from that Smallbone jabroni and ran to just outside their box and fizzed a shot just over. That’s what I want to see more of from Gakpo – be direct, back yourself and get a shot away. I still have question marks over what he is and what his role should be for us, but he is clearly a gifted footballer. I just wanted to see more from him last night, this was good though.

The game was capped off nicely just before the end as Bradley’s shot was saved and Danns swept in the rebound. Again, it is very promising for an 18 year old lad to know where to stand to get to the ball first – but he was switched on, he had ground to cover and reacted quicker than anyone to poke it home. I thought that was possibly Bradley’s weakest game for us, certainly defensively, but he always carries a threat going forward.

In the end it was easy, but we could have got a kicking there had Southampton taken their chances. Thankfully they didn’t, and we can “look forward” to a “mouthwatering” quarter final at Old Trafford.

Star Man – It has to be Danns, but shout out to Kelleher as well because without him, we could have been in serious trouble before we even got a foothold in the game.

Team: Kelleher; Bradley, Quansah, Van Dijk (Konate), Tsimikas; Gomez, McConnell (Mac Allister), Clark; Elliott (Nyoni), Gakpo (Gordon), Koumas (Danns):

View full article

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 14

• dave u pinned this topic

Totally agree about Gakpo. I like what he can bring to the party, he just doesn't do it enoughg and doesn't impose himself on games.

The number of Southampton changes is a bit meaningless (if the implication is that they had a weakened team) - looking back on their last 4-5 games (most of which they lost), apart from the goalie, most of the team that started last night have also started at least a couple of their recent games.

Another brilliant night after a somewhat scary start.

15 minutes ago, DaveT said:

The number of Southampton changes is a bit meaningless (if the implication is that they had a weakened team) - looking back on their last 4-5 games (most of which they lost), apart from the goalie, most of the team that started last night have also started at least a couple of their recent games.

My point here is just that they made changes because the FA Cup is not their priority. Their priority is the league and getting out of it as soon as possible. 

58 minutes ago, Dan Vito Corleone said:

My point here is just that they made changes because the FA Cup is not their priority. Their priority is the league and getting out of it as soon as possible. 

Sure, not having a pop at you, just the hint of a narrative in the media that they were weakened, when the reality is that most of their starting line up have featured in several of their recent games…. and that they’ve been shaking things up regularly because they’re on a losing streak. 

• Upvote 2

"One thing that I liked about this goal was that the superfan mouth on a stick sat behind me missed the goal. You know the sort – loudly complaining about the atmosphere and people not singing. He was so much a better fan than everyone else that he went down for a half time burst and missed the goal. He is also so much a better fan than everyone else that he left about 30 seconds before the 3rd goal. Glorious.

It reminds me of that time I was watching Premier League Darts at the Echo Arena and a gang of young lads behind me were pissed up and kept spilling beer down our backs. My mate told them in no uncertain terms that if it happened again he’d use them as a dart and they apologised and went downstairs to let the situation calm down and of course, replace the drinks they’d just spilled. As they were downstairs, they missed a 9 Darter. Exquisite."

Got a lot of time for Dan turning into prime Partridge in these two paragraphs. Should have replaced "Glorious" and "Exquisite" with "Needless to say, i had the last laugh".   

• Upvote 1

I thought they blew themselves out in the first 20 minutes with two or three of them hassling any of our players in possession. Once their energy levels dropped we gradually took control and by the last quarter they were fucked.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aws said:

I thought they blew themselves out in the first 20 minutes with two or three of them hassling any of our players in possession. Once their energy levels dropped we gradually took control and by the last quarter they were fucked.  

that's the long and short of it there. 

As I said on the pod, it's really weird because literally everyone you see discussing it absolutely hates it. Nobody where I sit does it, but it's still REALLY loud so there must be thousands at it. Where are these people and how are they not aware that everyone thinks its shit?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Redlewie said:

"Shooooot" and "Ibooooou".

Who is doing it? Sounds like a lot.

Bad. Very bad. Must be stopped.

There's only one Red-lewie!

One Red-lewie!

Walking along, singing a song

Walking in a Redlewie wonderland!

Barmy army!

Barmy army!

• Haha 1