You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle 1 Liverpool 2 (Aug 27 2023)

tlw content

1 hour ago, Fiona Southworth said:

Great report Dave really enjoyed it. Suarez would be probably on a murder charge .

I have to be honest it’s the first game that has really got me bought in again since Paris !

It's the Darwin effect. Stop fighting it, Fiona. Embrace the chaos!

Great report, Dave, and along with the podcast, one that was especially looking forward to, in the circumstances. All of the stuff with the refs has had me proper wound up. The blatant inconsistencies, of how our players are punished while the opposition can do what the hell they like, whether fouls, or asking for cards or anything else.

The thing for me with Trent is that while the yellow essentially rendered him toothless in defence, it also meant, that especially with the armband, he had to adhere to his own discipline to see the game through to the end. And considering how it could have gone so bad, so quickly, ending the game, that game, as the winning captain will have been another milestone in his career. It will have been a new chapter in the making of new stories of this new team and new era. A triumph over adversity, having to search within himself to provide leadership when called upon, in unexpected circumstances. He'll be able to look back on this as a special win. Quite a different kind of story to being Captain for the first time in a tame 2-0 win v Luton with Van Dijk rested or injured.

While he may have been severely restricted defensively, his ball to Salah was instrumental in the equaliser. Running the ball in the corner late on and rousing the away fans also had me out of my seat, giving it loads, when watching on Sunday.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

This was in the replies as well...

You don't want to sound conspiratorial, but for a ref who was so quick to book Trent for throwing the ball back into play, you have to wonder.

Those incidents plus the clear kick away by Gordon just after Trent get his yellow, as mentioned above, it does make you wonder. I’m sure it’s all subconscious bias …. If they’re in Red book em, if in zebra stripes don’t worry about it.

• Upvote 1

Ali is incredible isn't he? As you said, apart from his worldie it's hard to remember any of his record number of saves. He makes difficult things routine and very, very rarely spills anything in a dangerous area.

He was brilliant in closing down and forcing Longstaff into attempting a difficult finish late on. He was out so quickly. He's the best keeper I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

Reading your comments on refs respect agenda reminded me of this gem. I see that Forest have put in an official complaint over the handling of their game at Old Trafford. It will be interesting to see what happens in their upcoming games, especially as Forest sources are quoted as suggesting that maybe Stuart Attwell has an agenda against them.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff.

Nunez is gonna be a legend. He's like a puppy and you come home to find he's eaten your shoes and crapped in the hall. So you take him to have his balls cut off and the next day you come home and he's once again eaten your shoes and crapped in the hall. And he's now DOUBLY proud of that fact.

He is what he is. Unbridled footballing joy. Like Gabriel Batistuta jizzed into a cup and it accidentally got mixed up with a lock of Erik Meijer's hair then was cloned.

• Upvote 1

I do not understand why Klopp insists that Nunez needs to be better at defending when our defenders and midfielders - the players you would normally associate with defending - haven't been doing a great job with that since the start of last season. We would never expect prime Fowler, Owen, Torres or Suarez to defend and yes they were from different teams and eras but it's time Klopp flips the script with Nunez - his confidence will be sky high now - play him for a few a games and just let him run riot. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

This was in the replies as well...

You don't want to sound conspiratorial, but for a ref who was so quick to book Trent for throwing the ball back into play, you have to wonder.

And as sure as night follows day , the FA charge Virgil.

This game was Klopp personified.

He rode his luck, and looked like he was doing all the wrong things around the Trent/Virgil situation.

He took a big risk.  On the very off-chance of a big, oversized emotional reward.

I think "emotion" is the best way to keep pace with City... you're not going to do it any other way - the wall of financial reality simply doesn't allow it.

And that's the Klopp way.  Slingshots vs ICBMs.

Let's hope this result, just somehow, creates a (new "mentality") monster.

• Upvote 4

• dave u unpinned this topic

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but Diaz deserves huge respect for the way he handled being subbed after Virgil was sent off. Diaz must have been massively disappointed and frustrated, but he kept his feelings to himself and  congratulated Darwin at the end of the game. 

• Upvote 2