You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Think people are freaking out too much about this, at this stage anyway.

We've shipped out crocks, journeymen, has beens and never was players. No point having any of them in the squad as most did fuck all on the pitch last year anyway.

We've signed two top class and potentially world class players. That's beyond dispute. 

We're playing the game with Lavia, it's just how it's done. If we cough up the asking price straight off then we do it with whoever we sign next, and after that and after that. They obviously know Lavia wants to come and will be pushing from his end too. It's not great from our perspective but the game is the game.

We'll sign him I reckon, plus a more experienced midfielder, and a defender. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, No2 said:

It's a couple of million now but it's about 15 million on from where we began our bidding. Our policy of walking away from sales and purchases has been a successful strategy in general. You end up like Man Utd or Chelsea paying way over the odds if you're seen as weak.

Which is fine if you continually rebuild your squad from a position of strength. When you go into deals rightly saying "we can afford to walk away, because this player is a bonus". But when you fail to do that, you let 5/6/7 midfielders leave, depending on how you want to count it, in one window, well the policy falls flat on its face. I would say already this summer we've let Bellingham and mount go elsewhere because we haven't wanted to compete because of price, wages or both. Maybe more when you look at the kone and thuram links that were constantly pushed by the pack journos. The walk away policy is really hollow when you don't have enough footballers. 

12 minutes ago, Special K said:

Why are people acting surprised that we've only bought 2 players? This is a classic FSG summer.

Exactly. It's just business as usual. 

58 minutes ago, Special K said:

Why are people acting surprised that we've only bought 2 players? This is a classic FSG summer.

That was the old FSG man, you gotta give them the benefit of doubt man, there’s still time left man, don’t be so hysterical man, those ten players don’t need replacing man, 2 other teams have done less business man.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

That was the old FSG man, you gotta give them the benefit of doubt man, there’s still time left man, don’t be so hysterical man, those ten players don’t need replacing man, 2 other teams have done less business man.

https://www.premierleague.com/transfers

Players signed so far-  less hysterical fanny version.

Arsenal 3

Aston Villa 3

Newcastle 3

Everton 2

Man Utd 2

Liverpool 2

Man city 1

Wolves 1

West Ham 1

Bournemouth 1

Crystal Palace 1

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Special K said:

It has consisted of a lot of selling dead wood and letting players go. I have no problem with any of the ones who have gone as they needed to go and get off the wage bill. We did well to get £52m for Fabinho and Henderson. We may get another £10m for Nat Phillips as well as another £1m for various youth team players who have left.

Fabinho and Henderson were completely fucked having played non stop for years. When we were linked with that Paulinha fella from Fulham he was a year younger than Fabinho yet Fabinho had played double the amount of games as him.

The sporting director has basically only agreed to pay 2 release clauses and has fucked about for 6 weeks with Southampton. i dont know what the fuck this recruitment team do in preparation for the summer or actually in the summer.  Liverpool signed seven or eight players in 2000 yet now we have better access to data, footage of players, scouts in most parts of the world and better forms of communication via email, Skype, teams etc. Liverpool also use private jets and can conduct medicals in other countries like when we signed Firmino in Chile.

The club never seem to be able to work on multiple targets, it's just one signing constantly for ages unless it involves a non negotiable release clause. 

The club also then states that the right players aren't available despite having ample enough time and a large scouting network to identify them. But then just fixate themselves on Bellingham. Thank fuck that Colwill signed a new contract otherwise he would have been the new Bellingham. 

This Andre interest also just seems like it is just PR. "We couldn't get a deal done in time as Fluminense wanted £40m to release him before their transfer window closed". 

50 minutes ago, No2 said:

https://www.premierleague.com/transfers

Players signed so far-  less hysterical fanny version.

Arsenal 3

Aston Villa 3

Newcastle 3

Everton 2

Man Utd 2

Liverpool 2

Man city 1

Wolves 1

West Ham 1

Bournemouth 1

Crystal Palace 1

Ok now go and tot up the other windows. Ill give you a head start:

Liverpool 1

Liverpool 2

Liverpool 1

Liverpool 1

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Pre season is always the same for most, including me. Win and we're the dogs, lose and ah, its only pre season.

Just hope we address the problems of getting beaten by shit teams. 

I know where you’re coming from. Always nice to win, not the end of the world if we don’t.

We don’t know how many sessions they players have been doing or acclimatising to the heat or have jet lag etc etc. 

Disappointing goals to give away yesterday and so many changes, but I thought we were the better side for 80 minutes against a side significantly more settled than ourselves.

Clearly it wasn’t perfect and there are certainly issues to work though, to me there were a lot of positives. 

• Upvote 1

I'd genuinely like to know how the process of signing new players goes. The transfer window opens  for us on 14th June & shuts on 1st Sep. Now I know it's not simple & there's agents, other interested clubs etc but why do so many clubs leave it until a week or a few days to? Maybe to save a few quid not sure if this works. Also it always seems that clubs work on one signing at a time, not sure if this is the case but it comes across that way. The whole transfer system just seems really bizarre to me. 

57 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ok now go and tot up the other windows. Ill give you a head start:

Liverpool 1

Liverpool 2

Liverpool 1

Liverpool 1

So No2 you negged me but the point im making is we are playing catch up and have been continually trying to catch up over the last several windows. We are not buying from a position of strength.

If we had been investing more in the last couple of years I don't think anyone would be complaining only bringing in two players. The rest of the Clubs we compete against haven't been bringing in one transfer per window. Thats the difference.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So No2 you negged me but the point im making is we are playing catch up and have been continually trying to catch up over the last several windows. We are not buying from a position of strength.

If we had been investing more in the last couple of years I don't think anyone would be complaining only bringing in two players. The rest of the Clubs we compete against haven't been bringing in one transfer per window. Thats the difference.

Your right but we can only focus on now really. Other teams have spent much more but many on average players and aside from City, no real success to show for it. 

Its annoying we haven't done more yet this summer- we are clearly trying to- who knows how these transfers pan out- maybe the commitee are happy to raise the offer but Klopp has strong reservations on overpaying and banks on the player pushing it through?