You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I guess the Fabinho and Henderson departures weren't on our terms or in any way planned for so it's become a mess. 

I'm tired of saying this, but Fabinho was getting back to good form towards the end of last season. He'd have been better again with a more energetic press in front of him this season. Trent and Virgil were as bad or worse as him at times last season and didn't get anywhere near the same level of criticism. Salah occasionally stunk the place out in games too. All of these players endured a phenomenally draining season in 2021/22 and then played in the World Cup.  We should have kept him.

'Oh but we got £40m for him.' Well that's working out brilliantly for us, isn't it? 

Van Dijk was shite last season and the same again yesterday.

He's going to be a big problem for us.

I disagree about Fabinho, I thought he was rotten last season and his 'improvement' over the last few games was minimal. We were right to let him go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I disagree about Fabinho, I thought he was rotten last season and his 'improvement' over the last few games was minimal. We were right to let him go.

Hope you're wrong on Van Dijk. 

On Fabinho, several of our players were rotten last season, but a few were scapegoated more than others. By all means sell him on our own terms, but there's still no evidence that we've any clue how to replace him properly. Also, we'll be spending half of what we got for him in desperation tax, if selling clubs have any sense.

2 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Chelsea bid £80 million for caicedo but ended up paying £35 million extra

We bid £45 million for Lavia but ended up paying £15 million extra

We won!

That's the real quiz

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Konate going to be out on his feet by end of August after watching that yesterday . 

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Liverpool have to change their approach if they want to get out of this mess. Everyone knows we want a CDM and so every target is inflated by 20%. 

Go and buy the two best defenders you can find and buy a CDM like Kone who isn’t too expensive. Bank on Kone, Thiago and Bajectic but have some very strong defenders behind them. 

This is why I said ages ago we should have gone for Gvardiol. He is a boyhood LFC fan and we would have got him for 90M, no way he chooses city over us. Then go buy Kone for 40M and Andre Tindade for 30M in January.

He would have about 200 000 a week reasons to do this. There's no way his agent/family lets him choose us over City, boyhood fan or not...

Edit: We (our club/owners/manager) are still operating as a sustainable business. It's not, and is probably never going to be (in my lifetime at least).

I'm hugely conflicted on this. On the one hand I've actually sort of made my peace with it. It will probably lead to us no longer being competitive (which if I was a teenager would be really hard to take), but I'm so fucked off with everything that's wrong with football that I think it's nice that we're trying to be a bit "better" than the flat out cheaters.

It's really, really hard though. I thought I would be able to not care as much this season, but seeing us getting shafted by Taylor and his crew yesterday makes me feel a lot worse worse than us missing out on whichever transfer target (and his agent) that are out for a big payday. Seeing the glee on Taylor's face when handing out yellows for Trent and Mac Allister and the smirk when acknowledging that he won't go out to check the pen is enough to send me into a rage. Having lived through the Ferguson-era, I can honestly say that I've never trusted the refs less to be unbiased professionals doing the best they can. I'm a lot more ticked off at that than having a manager struggling with his set-up, or players missing chances or directors struggling to convince players to come here, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Brighton’s head of recruitment followed Potter to Chelsea, so who knows if they’ll be as astute going forward? 

Unless Bloom left with him they will have a sound analytical basis for any moves they make.

Who is our French football expert? 

What’s their opinion on Maxence Caqueret as a defensive midfielder? He’s looked quite attack minded in the bits I’ve seen of him. But seems able to cover ground well and constantly nicks the ball back off the opposition. Then reminds me a bit of Modric when he’s got the ball. Uses it well and can beat an opponent with a little feint. 

Not sure he’d be a conventional “number 6” type but he looks a very capable player.