You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

9 minutes ago, andyj said:

Been talking to a Chelsea fan he thinks Chelsea will get hit with a 12 month transfer ban so they are  buying up anybody they can 

What a farce - just makes a mockery of so called rules and the punishments.

It's like going shoplifting every day for 6 months being seen but not nicked and then after 6 months getting a 1 month supsended sentence and being allowed to keep all what you stole....

Laughable shite.

51 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Guardian reporter…We’ve agreed a £60m deal for Lavia but need to convince him to join us ahead of Chelsea.

https://x.com/jacobsteinberg/status/1691010818349928448?s=46&t=JxFNarAyLj26Setga_WNDg

haven't chelsea agreed at 55m? why would we need to bid more than chelsea? it's not like it's been that auction situation from last week is it? someone wants absolutely fucking at LFC if we could have got this lad for 50m last week and end up paying 60m. like we're not "skint" enough. 60m for a kid who's won about 3 games in his career? fucking mental. fuck him off and find an adult. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

haven't chelsea agreed at 55m? why would we need to bid more than chelsea? it's not like it's been that auction situation from last week is it? someone wants absolutely fucking at LFC if we could have got this lad for 50m last week and end up paying 60m. like we're not "skint" enough. 60m for a kid who's won about 3 games in his career? fucking mental. fuck him off and find an adult. 

In fairness, apparently our latest bid is the only one to have been accepted - Chelsea’s wasn’t, so the mooted valuation might have always been off.

As for whether it’s too much, I don’t know. If he lives up to his potential and ends up being brilliant for 7 or 8 years, he’ll seem cheap when the going rate for a prospect is £100m.

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

In fairness, apparently our latest bid is the only one to have been accepted - Chelsea’s wasn’t, so the mooted valuation might have always been off.

As for whether it’s too much, I don’t know. If he lives up to his potential and ends up being brilliant for 7 or 8 years, he’ll seem cheap when the going rate for a prospect is £100m.

I thought they had had a deal accepted? I thought that came out last night? 

either way, i still think it is too much. we are a club who can't afford 60m failure. if he is shit, which as he's barely played and barely won a game, there's a decent good chance, we end up with another chamberlain and keita situation where we just keep sitting on them till the contract runs out because we will keep expecting massive money to get rid. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Notice that none of our journos have said anything yet. Is it because we aren't confident he will say yes and want to avoid another embarrassment? 

they're all having a lie in after a hard couple of days at the office. 

What is it with us and the other top sides that we seem to be the odd ones out?

Arsenal, Chelsea, both manc clubs seem to do business with and among each other - look at the deals between Arsenal and Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd....and they mostly seem to steer clear of fighting for same players - yet we seem outside of that and worse often embattled against them....

While we were at 48 Chelsea bid 55 all before the caciedo shite started . Where is all this "oh we should have paid 50 when we had a clear run at him " come from . Everything emanating  from Southampton said/indicated they could and expected north of 50 m for him . That was weeks ago  .  Find me one quote where southampton said 50m and he is yours Liverpool ? 

Read something on holidays and although not related to football it rings true . Basically if you are getting free news (I.e not charged for it directly or indirectly) there will be an agenda from owners or backers that is being peddled. 

Now is the time for the fanbase to be getting behind a new build team . All this twitter and sky media  has us ripping holes in each other our management, owners and players .  

2 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

While we were at 48 Chelsea bid 55 all before the caciedo shite started . Where is all this "oh we should have paid 50 when we had a clear run at him " come from . Everything emanating  from Southampton said/indicated they could and expected north of 50 m for him . That was weeks ago  .  Find me one quote where southampton said 50m and he is yours Liverpool ? 

Read something on holidays and although not related to football it rings true . Basically if you are getting free news (I.e not charged for it directly or indirectly) there will be an agenda from owners or backers that is being peddled. 

Now is the time for the fanbase to be getting behind a new build team . All this twitter and sky media  has us ripping holes in each other our management, owners and players .  

if you get anything for free, you are the product. that's how the internet works. 

12 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Notice that none of our journos have said anything yet. Is it because we aren't confident he will say yes and want to avoid another embarrassment? 

I think it's another unverified story at this point. I wasn't aware it had been confirmed Chelsea had even made a formal bid.

Whatever will happen, will happen. But if that price is accurate, I'd expect us to be looking more in the Doucoure or Luis range (Benfica would try and rinse us, mind you).

edit: Ah, it is more than just a tweet, to be fair: Liverpool agree £60m Roméo Lavia deal but face Chelsea competition again | Transfer window | The Guardian

Would expect one of the usuals to crop up one way or another soon, then.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

I think it's another unverified story at this point. I wasn't aware it had been confirmed Chelsea had even made a formal bid.

Whatever will happen, will happen. But if that price is accurate, I'd expect us to be looking more in the Doucoure or Luis range (Benfica would try and rinse us, mind you).

To be fair the guardian reporter is somewhat reputable from what I remember. 

Its now coming out that from The Times that he prefers Chelsea. Can’t be arsed with this. The club should be ashamed of themselves with how they have let this summer play out.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

does Luis have a release clause? that's pretty normal in portugal isn't it? 

I'd like us to go back to how we usually do our business....Quietly and you don't really hear anything until the player signs more or less.

The disruptor of the Henderson and Fabinho deals happening when not expected and so late seems to have shook us and we are understandably in reactive mode a bit, but these public, drawn out sagas are not usually our style.

Hopefully we get back to our usual way of working.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

To be fair the guardian reporter is somewhat reputable from what I remember. 

Its now coming out that from The Times that he prefers Chelsea. Can’t be arsed with this. The club should be ashamed of themselves with how they have let this summer play out.

I hadn't seen he'd published it under his byline, thought it was just the tweet. Must be fairly sure. Guessing it'll be a "package worth" £60m in the end rather than a straight up offer.

Whatever happens they need a clearly organised leadership replacing this schmadtke fella. Does make you wonder whats going on in the scouting and analytical teams. A few people trying to compete for the job in the long run? Whole thing just seems a mess.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

One thing this summer should be showing the club is we can't be going after players the big spending clubs want or we get blown out of the water.

We need to be a bit smarter.

Or go for players that haven't set their heart on playing for someone else   

It's amazing how narrow teams are focusing their efforts. All these lads are young and unproven at the highest level and the only thing they've got in common is that you'd have seen them on match of the day last year and they'd be among the first names to spring to mind.

What happened to scouts? Time was we'd have been tracking Lavia while he was still in his dad's balls.

• Upvote 1