You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I think its pretty clear what happened here.

We made contact with Brighton and Caicedo before yesterday evening. Chelsea found out about it and then bid for Lavia after because they were pissed off.

Bohely is a bad twat and you know its something he would do. We haven't behaved like this under Klopp once, i dont see this being the other way round and us reacting to Chlesea's bid. Klopp wouldn't allow that kind of bullshit to go down. 

44 minutes ago, Razoray said:

A lot of clubs probably enquired earlier in the year but were informed that he wanted to go to Chelsea.

It reads - to me anyway - that we see that the move isn’t as sure as it looked previously. We contacted Caicedo's people and enquired if he would be willing to move to Liverpool. They were probably told that Chelsea was the players first choice but if that move didn’t happen that he would be interested. The club then contacted Brighton for the kind of fee required to get him. 

Half of the forum, have been asking why the club haven't been chasing Caicedo and now that they have, they are a small club. 

I think this is the most likely scenario and sort of makes sense. 

My question would be why has it been leaked to the press?

IMO, I actually don’t see any benefit in us leaking it - it’s less likely to make Southampton budge. I suppose Brighton could be using it to hurry Chelsea along. 

If I was to bet, I’d say we’ll sign Lavia and they’ll sign Caicedo. 

I think it's clear that Southampton and Brighton are really trying to start bidding wars for their players while Ourselves and Chelsea are trying to low ball. It's not really our style to be so public with our pursuit of Lavia, must be saints briefing the press which they have with Livrmento and Ward-Prowse. I think Southampton would be much more accomodating to our offers once Chelsea sign Caicedo, which is frustrating they haven't and that it is clear that there is no other team that Lavia could go to. It did seem saints were trying to link Man U for a while. While our bid for Caicedo seems to be a message that we will bid on other players if Southampton don't want to come closer to our valuation. All a bit dumb as now it seems like it will drive up the price for both players. All a bit poorly handled, certainly don't want Schmadkte here long term. 

55 minutes ago, Moo said:

We have to make it worth Southampton's while.  If they think they're getting a straight £40m off City next year why would they accept less from us now? They are not desperate to sell.

If we're serious about the player we should have offered the supposed £50m a week ago (or longer) and if they didn't accept then move the fuck on.

It's all a bit pathetic, we're laughing stocks at the moment.

The other thing people are forgetting is City's 20% sell on clause. Which is 20% of the profit made on Lavia. So they bought him for like 10m. If we buy him for 50m, City get 8m, so Southampton are only getting 42m. Which would only be a 2m profit on what they could get from City next year. The 50m request is basically to barely more than cover that potential fee due to sell on clause. It literally makes zero sense for them to even sell for like 45m, because they would actually receive less than 40.

4 minutes ago, Ashberry said:

I think it's clear that Southampton and Brighton are really trying to start bidding wars for their players while Ourselves and Chelsea are trying to low ball. It's not really our style to be so public with our pursuit of Lavia, must be saints briefing the press which they have with Livrmento and Ward-Prowse. I think Southampton would be much more accomodating to our offers once Chelsea sign Caicedo, which is frustrating they haven't and that it is clear that there is no other team that Lavia could go to. It did seem saints were trying to link Man U for a while. While our bid for Caicedo seems to be a message that we will bid on other players if Southampton don't want to come closer to our valuation. All a bit dumb as now it seems like it will drive up the price for both players. All a bit poorly handled, certainly don't want Schmadkte here long term. 

I have a feeling the transfer negotiation wizardry we experienced the last number of year has now disappeared due to key personnel leaving, and we are now moving forward going to be similarly incompetent to most of the other big clubs with overly drawn out or failed negatiations.

9 minutes ago, Wezza said:

One would have to assume he had previously said he would be up for it or Munich wouldn’t have bothered with all the bids.

That's very true, as clubs tend to speak to players or agents to.sound them out. I hope he does fuck off. A small win in a shitty window.

• Upvote 1

If they somehow pull Lavia and Caicedo out of the bag all the growing doubts I have about our growing incompetency and lack of support in the transfer market will be completely reversed. It would perfectly rejuvenate this midfield in the areas that need the most attention. However the fact we are faffing about over a couple million for our primary target, drawing it out for far too long, when we desperately need players in yesterday, tells me we don't suddenly have the combined 130 million it would probably take to get both Lavia and Caicedo. If we do, then we should have just given Southampton the 50m weeks ago and moved on with it.

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think this is the most likely scenario and sort of makes sense. 

My question would be why has it been leaked to the press?

IMO, I actually don’t see any benefit in us leaking it - it’s less likely to make Southampton budge. I suppose Brighton could be using it to hurry Chelsea along. 

If I was to bet, I’d say we’ll sign Lavia and they’ll sign Caicedo. 

Caicedo's agent is the leaker surely

1 hour ago, Moo said:

We have to make it worth Southampton's while.  If they think they're getting a straight £40m off City next year why would they accept less from us now? They are not desperate to sell.

If we're serious about the player we should have offered the supposed £50m a week ago (or longer) and if they didn't accept then move the fuck on.

It's all a bit pathetic, we're laughing stocks at the moment.

Why do you think city would want him? If they wanted him, would they let him join us? They have a 20% sell on clause. Effectively if they bid 40m today, it's the same as us paying 50m. City don't give 2 fucks about Lavia and are laughing their nuts off that they're about to get another 10m

10 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

The other thing people are forgetting is City's 20% sell on clause. Which is 20% of the profit made on Lavia. So they bought him for like 10m. If we buy him for 50m, City get 8m, so Southampton are only getting 42m. Which would only be a 2m profit on what they could get from City next year. The 50m request is basically to barely more than cover that potential fee due to sell on clause. It literally makes zero sense for them to even sell for like 45m, because they would actually receive less than 40.

20% of 50m is 10m. If we bid 50m, Southampton get what city can pay next summer. Or now. 

37 minutes ago, Wezza said:

One would have to assume he had previously said he would be up for it or Munich wouldn’t have bothered with all the bids.

Or Harry “it’s not about the money” is wanting a massive kick back from the transfer fee and Levy’s saying no chance