You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I wonder if this is linked to Colwill.

We seemingly wanted him, but didn’t want to piss off Chelsea. He’s now staying, we’ve been making moves for Lavia, we’ve potentially had a word that Caicedo is potentially obtainable, now we don’t need to keep Chelsea sweet so are going all in? 

I know there is a lot of hypotheticals there. 

Dunno what to think of this…

…the Twitter-arti saying Thiago not really interested in Saudi, the club isn’t really  fussed about keeping him and are leaving the decision up to him. 

I’ve said multiple times how good I think Thiago is. I fully get the point on his fitness record. Allegedly he earns >£10m per year and we’d get a >£10m fee. As long as we replace him, I think the money is too good to turn down, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Dunno what to think of this…

…the Twitter-arti saying Thiago not really interested in Saudi, the club isn’t really  fussed about keeping him and are leaving the decision up to him. 

I’ve said multiple times how good I think Thiago is. I fully get the point on his fitness record. Allegedly he earns >£10m per year and we’d get a >£10m fee. As long as we replace him, I think the money is too good to turn down, unfortunately. 

I'd sell in a heartbeat....but i fear we wouldn't replace and replace the two who have already gone and as useless as all 3 were for different reasons it would leave us short.

So based on that i'd let him see his contract out - we will of course be lucky to get 20 league games out of him.

If though we were bringing in 2 midfielders between now and end of window - then yeah ta-ra 12m in kitty and 200k a week in wages to put to better use.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I wonder if this is linked to Colwill.

We seemingly wanted him, but didn’t want to piss off Chelsea. He’s now staying, we’ve been making moves for Lavia, we’ve potentially had a word that Caicedo is potentially obtainable, now we don’t need to keep Chelsea sweet so are going all in? 

I know there is a lot of hypotheticals there. 

A couple of posters on here suggested that we were holding off on committing to Lavia as we'd move for Tchouameni if Real needed the money for Mbappe. It was confirmed ladt night that Mbappe is staying in Paris so maybe we've enquired about Caicedo. Maybe

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

At the start of the summer I was happy for Thiago to move on. If we let him go now though we're going to need three more midfielders and we are struggling to get one.

I reckon 2 would do it.

Look at what would be gone.

Oxlade

Keita

Henderson

Milner

Fabinho

Thiago

Let's say in...

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

I'd take the 4 over the 6 everyday....

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I reckon 2 would do it.

Look at what would be gone.

Oxlade

Keita

Henderson

Milner

Fabinho

Thiago

Let's say in...

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

I'd take the 4 over the 6 everyday....

Me too,  but it’s unlikely we’ll splash out 150 mill. 

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

£10m is good money for Thiago? Fuck. Off. 

Derisory as fuck. Cue lots on enlightening posts about his fitness record... 

Transfermarkt have his value at 13m.

We paid 20 for him 3 years ago - would you say given what has happened over last 3 years his value has gone up?

11 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

If so, how come West Ham were the biggest club to come in for him?

How can anyone who doesn't work in football answer that question? I don't know what clubs are thinking. A lot of people don't know what they're doing.

He was one of the best players in France, Brazilian international, mid 20's, and had a pretty reasonable fee.

26 minutes ago, Trumo said:

How much of this posturing from both ourselves and Chelsea is due to the sides playing each other this weekend?

I reckon after Chelseas bid for Lavia it's just Liverpool and Brighton playing tit for tat. Caicedo will go to Chelsea and we will sign Lavia both for the fees the clubs initially wanted so all we've done is waste a shitload of time.

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

He's saying it's 20% of any profit (I have no idea if that's true though) made so if we buy at £50m, they have made a £38m profit, 20% of that is £7.6m going to Man City. 

Fair enough..l I thought it was 20% of any future fee. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

He's a Southampton player I don't think City can stop them selling to us.

I don't necessarily think City will want him next year but I think Southampton think there's a good chance they might.  If he's good enough for us to pay £40m plus then you have to think there's a player there.  City could even buy him (once the clause kicks in) and loan him out, possibly back to Southampton.

Yeah, but my point is, 12 months ago city preferred kalvin Phillips over him, which is which is why they spent 50m on him and sold Lavia. So unimpressed they've been with Phillips and you assume Lavia that they spent 30m or whatever it was on kovacic. But it's been pretty widely broadcast Southampton want 50m for Lavia. So while city don't have a clause now,  they do have a sell on, which means they could get the deal done for about 40m if they wanted. And if they thought he was a real talent, they wouldn't be letting him come here to save 40m. They're not bidding for him now because they don't rate him at a level for a team that wants to win the league and the CL.

They could probanly get the fee back tomorrow off west ham by selling Phillips, but they clearly don't want to. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fair enough..l I thought it was 20% of any future fee. 

Yeah, but my point is, 12 months ago city preferred kalvin Phillips over him, which is which is why they spent 50m on him and sold Lavia. So unimpressed they've been with Phillips and you assume Lavia that they spent 30m or whatever it was on kovacic. But it's been pretty widely broadcast Southampton want 50m for Lavia. So while city don't have a clause now,  they do have a sell on, which means they could get the deal done for about 40m if they wanted. And if they thought he was a real talent, they wouldn't be letting him come here to save 40m. They're not bidding for him now because they don't rate him at a level for a team that wants to win the league and the CL.

They could probanly get the fee back tomorrow off west ham by selling Phillips, but they clearly don't want to. 

They have a sell on clause but Southampton could still ask for £50m or £100m. Doesn’t mean they’ll get it like, but I don’t see why it’s restricted to 40m if City buy him. Am I missing something?