You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

14 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Out of curiosity, who are we buying for £10m in this market that's better than Thiago? 

It does not work like that does it....

He is of little to no use to us because he can't stay fit.

So if we get 10m or so for him and save 10m on his wages and then use that money towards paying the fees and wages of other younger, fitter, able to contribute players we make ourselves better.

As i said earlier....if someone offered me

Thiago

Keita

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Fabinho

Or

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

I'd take the second choice all day long - If Thiago eating up 200k a week is a barrier to paying Caciedo the 150k he would want for example then IMHO you just sell and get it done.

Different opinions of course.

As it happens i think he'll stay as it is too late, but I expect next to nothing from him and when he limps away in 12 months time for nothing after adding next to nothing for another 12 months - well so be it.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

No he isn't.

He is leaving at end of season anyway and of course in the meantime will hardly play.

He'll cost us 10m in wages too in that time.

I think 12m or so and his wages better used elsewhere is a good deal for us.

The problem is the likely failure to build depth we need with his and other exits - so we'll probably end up letting him see his contract out and get next to sod all again out of him.

Why are you so concerned about the club saving wages when the club aren't spending the money they save anyway? Might as well just keep the player we have. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, Chris said:

Why are you so concerned about the club saving wages when the club aren't spending the money they save anyway? Might as well just keep the player we have. 

It is because we are minebags that we need a big return on every penny we pay out.

I'd happily let Thiago start 14 league games and earn 10m a year if we had enough other quality players and were happy and willing to spend the money and pay the wages it takes - but because we operate such a tight ship, recently downsized further according to Hogan today, we simply can't afford to carry any fat. Sadly Thiago is fat.

26 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

To Thiago’s credit, he seems to not want to have anything to do with the Saudi Arabian ‘project’, even though it would surely double his salary. 

Hopefully he’ll be in some way available for us this season. 

Hopefully he can make the £220 000 last the week if he budgets well. Put some aside for bingo night and what have you.

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is because we are minebags that we need a big return on every penny we pay out.

I'd happily let Thiago start 14 league games and earn 10m a year if we had enough other quality players and were happy and willing to spend the money and pay the wages it takes - but because we operate such a tight ship, recently downsized further according to Hogan today, we simply can't afford to carry any fat. Sadly Thiago is fat.

If the options were the 6 against 4 you have quoted, a faiir few people would agree and wave goodbye to Thiago, but you seem to be ignoring the evidence of your eyes over the past month and trusting FSG to get Lavia and Caiceco in.

Just now, sir roger said:

If the options were the 6 against 4 you have quoted, a faiir few people would agree and wave goodbye to Thiago, but you seem to be ignoring the evidence of your eyes over the past month and trusting FSG to get Lavia and Caiceco in.

Oh i am not expecting us to get it done...i am just saying what i'd like to see/what i think we should do.

56 minutes ago, an tha said:

So if we get 10m or so for him and save 10m on his wages and then use that money towards paying the fees and wages of other younger, fitter, able to contribute players we make ourselves better.

Thiago

Keita

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Fabinho

Or

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

I'd take the second choice all day long - If Thiago eating up 200k a week is a barrier to paying Caciedo the 150k he would want for example then IMHO you just sell and get it done.

As it happens i think he'll stay as it is too late, but I expect next to nothing from him and when he limps away in 12 months time for nothing after adding next to nothing for another 12 months - well so be it.

I'd take those four over those six all day long.

Its just past 10pm, can someone tell me if i'm supposed to be livid and calling for FSG to be hung drawn and quartered or ecstatic that we might sign Caicedo. Or really angry we don't sign any of them and end up with Phillip Billing and get Davies back on loan

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Thiago

Keita

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Fabinho

Or

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

But your option is hypothetical and so I can just as easily say it doesn't work like that either. You're moaning about Thiago not playing enough yet if we sell him for peanuts we get no games out of a world class player. We're not £10m short for Caicedo and that's the only thing stopping us. He wants to play for Chelsea. Him and Lavia together is a pipe dream (well, for us that is!). 

I don't see a realistic scenario where we get pocket change for Thiago and come out any better for it, this season at least. 

As things stand he is our best midfielder until it is proved otherwise. Hopefully the new guys are even better but that remains to be seen. His experience and class is invaluable and with Hendo, Milner and Fabinho gone we need to hold on to that as much as we can. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Remmie said:

But your option is hypothetical and so I can just as easily say it doesn't work like that either. You're moaning about Thiago not playing enough yet if we sell him for peanuts we get no games out of a world class player. We're not £10m short for Caicedo and that's the only thing stopping us. He wants to play for Chelsea. Him and Lavia together is a pipe dream (well, for us that is!). 

I don't see a realistic scenario where we get pocket change for Thiago and come out any better for it, this season at least. 

As things stand he is our best midfielder until it is proved otherwise. Hopefully the new guys are even better but that remains to be seen. His experience and class is invaluable and with Hendo, Milner and Fabinho gone we need to hold on to that as much as we can. 

He's pretty much useless to us and because of how we operate as a club is taking up space we can't afford him to that we could get a lot more out of. 

Now if we were the sort of club who would happily pay him to play every now and then and at same time bring in enough that it does not really matter then fine, keep him for his last year - but we aren't that sort of club - so we rely on him, he let's us down time and time again and we don't have enough other options.

So for me it is a case of get rid, get 10m in and use that and his 10m wages towards top players who will contribute more.

I don't think we have ever had a player offer us so little yet be so loved - yeah he's very talented and pretty to watch etc - but he's not improved us at all...in fact he has been a big part of why we have regressed - because he is so unreliable and because we rely on him.

I just don't see point of another 12 months of the same.

Anyone mind if I go all in on Caicedo? I know it wont happen but if we added Caicedo, Mac Allister and Szobo in a single window then we will have completely rebuilt the midfield and forward line in a couple of years. Add in Inacio at the back for good measure then Estupian next season and we’ve got our next team playing alongside the arl fellas for the rest of Klopp’s time.

• Upvote 2