You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

25 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Carvalho couldn't play for us anyway as you can only play for two clubs in a season and he's already done this. Klopp clearly doesn't rate him anyway.

I don't think that part of it would matter. He's a mammalian biped with a pulse. I think that's pretty much enough at this point. 

Where are we now? I wouldn’t be 100% confident on Salah, Nunez or Szoboszlai  for the weekend given the complete non-involvement last night. Or maybe Gakpo playing a big part last night suggests the attackers will be back?

Hopefully Endo will be okay. Good that Diaz got a break. 

48 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I don't think that part of it would matter. He's a mammalian biped with a pulse. I think that's pretty much enough at this point. 

It does matter though. Klopp made a choice in the summer and in January that he didn't want him here. I get the feeling that it might be an attitude or off the ball work rate problem with Carvalho. 

30 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

It does matter though. Klopp made a choice in the summer and in January that he didn't want him here. I get the feeling that it might be an attitude or off the ball work rate problem with Carvalho. 

There's no doubt in my mind he would have played last night if we had him and he could. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Where are we now? I wouldn’t be 100% confident on Salah, Nunez or Szoboszlai  for the weekend given the complete non-involvement last night. Or maybe Gakpo playing a big part last night suggests the attackers will be back?

Hopefully Endo will be okay. Good that Diaz got a break. 

I saw klopp earlier on sky, which I was assuming was a post match press conference. He said something like "don't ask me tomorrow where they are, they will still be here, but they've got to work and lots to improve". I wondered if it was a bit of an acknowledgement that come this weekend we will have Nunez, Salah and Dom back in. 

Darwin Nunez and Dominik Szoboszlai may be available for Liverpool’s trip to Nottingham Forest, but Mohamed Salah will not return from injury at the City Ground.

Nunez and Szoboszlai resumed full training on Thursday after fitness issues and Jürgen Klopp is hopeful they can be part of the Reds’ matchday squad on Saturday afternoon.

However, despite making good progress in his recovery, Salah remains sidelined for now, while Wataru Endo and Andy Robertson are being monitored ahead of the visit to face Nuno Espirito Santo’s side.

Endo missed the midweek win over Southampton due to the knock he picked up in the Carabao Cup final and Robertson has been affected by illness this week.

On the fitness of his squad, Klopp told the media on Friday: “Darwin and Dom trained yesterday with the team. So, they looked good, but we have to wait [to see] how they react.

Wataru and Robbo didn’t, but there is the plan that they join in today. That’s the idea but we have to see if that really works out.

“Ibou [Ibrahima Konate], nothing, it [him not starting against Southampton] was just time-sharing. Lucho [Luis Diaz] is fine, Macca [Alexis Mac Allister] is fine. They all look fine.

“The little problem we couldn’t know about is that Macca was ill for one-and-a-half days I would say and Robbo had the same thing, so hopefully that didn’t spread now. So far I didn’t hear anything [but] I didn’t ask because I don’t want to know probably! So, we will see.”

When later asked specifically about Salah, the manager replied: “I don’t think Mo is too far off, but he will not feature tomorrow and from there we have to go.

“It’s like touch and go… but I think next week at any point it is possible. He is on the way back, definitely, but not there yet.”

Don't think they will start, we will probably start with one kid upfront and one in the middle to be replaced later by Nunez and Szoboszlai. Depending on how things go.

32 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Alisson out for 10 weeks.

No nothing to see here with our medical team, no nothing at all.

How can a fucking goal keeper be out for ten weeks ? Get someone else to take the goal kicks ffs!

38 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Alisson out for 10 weeks.

No nothing to see here with our medical team, no nothing at all.

Where you getting 10 weeks from - all i could find was:

Jürgen Klopp has admitted that Alisson’s hamstring injury is so severe that he will miss a large chunk of the rest of the season, but believes Liverpool’s ambitions remain in safe hands with Caoimhin Kelleher in goal.

The Liverpool manager insisted Alisson’s season was not over, but conceded the setback was a “rather serious one” with Saturday’s trip to Nottingham Forest the fifth game in a row he will have missed because of the problem.

Mohamed Salah will also again be absent at the City Ground because of a hamstring issue, although Darwin Núñez and Dominik Szoboszlai are poised to return as the visiting side seek to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League.

Alisson was injured in training on the eve of the Brentford game on February 17 and Klopp said: “There is no real timescale on it, but it is a proper muscle injury. It is not a short one. It is a rather serious one, but not a season-ending injury.”

So as it stands:

Alisson (weeks away)

TAA (weeks away)

Matip (probably season over)

Jones (weeks away)

Szobo (maybe back this weekend)

Endo (maybe back this weekend)

Gravenberch (week or so)

Jota (weeks away)

Salah (week or so)

Nunez (maybe back this weekend)

Bajcetic (no idea)

Thiago (probably season over)

Robertson been ill this week.

Quite staggering.

6 hours ago, an tha said:

Where you getting 10 weeks from - all i could find was:

Jürgen Klopp has admitted that Alisson’s hamstring injury is so severe that he will miss a large chunk of the rest of the season, but believes Liverpool’s ambitions remain in safe hands with Caoimhin Kelleher in goal.

The Liverpool manager insisted Alisson’s season was not over, but conceded the setback was a “rather serious one” with Saturday’s trip to Nottingham Forest the fifth game in a row he will have missed because of the problem.

Mohamed Salah will also again be absent at the City Ground because of a hamstring issue, although Darwin Núñez and Dominik Szoboszlai are poised to return as the visiting side seek to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League.

Alisson was injured in training on the eve of the Brentford game on February 17 and Klopp said: “There is no real timescale on it, but it is a proper muscle injury. It is not a short one. It is a rather serious one, but not a season-ending injury.”

You are talking months now for Alisson not weeks.

Originally all these players were minor setbacks now we are told they are lengthy.

Alisson was supposed to be back after the international break, hes now going to miss a chunk of the season.

Darwin has already missed 3 and a half games when he ‘felt a twinge’ and only may be included today.

Salah had a ‘minor’ setback that is causing him to miss 4 games with no guarantee of next week.

I could go on but its a farce at this stage. It’s the same pattern over and over. A minor knock, caution and a lengthy spell out.

We simply cant afford these recurring problems. Hopefully the medical team all do one next summer because frankly for 2 seasons or so our injury management has been woeful.

• Upvote 2

We've had Salah, Trent and Dom all with recurring injuries and where the recurrence has not been minor. It's certainly a worry. When you add that to players like Jota and Jones who have a knack of getting any type of injury which keeps them out for a sustained period, matip and thiago who you can barely rely on getting on the pitch and konate who can only play once per week or he falls apart, you do have to ask could we be better at this shit. We all know marginal gains is crucial. So are marginal losses. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've had Salah, Trent and Dom all with recurring injuries and where the recurrence has not been minor. It's certainly a worry. When you add that to players like Jota and Jones who have a knack of getting any type of injury which keeps them out for a sustained period, matip and thiago who you can barely rely on getting on the pitch and konate who can only play once per week or he falls apart, you do have to ask could we be better at this shit. We all know marginal gains is crucial. So are marginal losses. 

You can only conclude this situation is based on two things:

1. mis diagnosis from the medical team

or

2. players are being overworked to such an extent their bodies are breaking down.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You are talking months now for Alisson not weeks.

Originally all these players were minor setbacks now we are told they are lengthy.

Alisson was supposed to be back after the international break, hes now going to miss a chunk of the season.

Darwin has already missed 3 and a half games when he ‘felt a twinge’ and only may be included today.

Salah had a ‘minor’ setback that is causing him to miss 4 games with no guarantee of next week.

I could go on but its a farce at this stage. It’s the same pattern over and over. A minor knock, caution and a lengthy spell out.

We simply cant afford these recurring problems. Hopefully the medical team all do one next summer because frankly for 2 seasons or so our injury management has been woeful.

Where did you get 10 weeks for Alisson from though.

Nothing in Klopp quote to say 10 weeks...

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You can only conclude this situation is based on two things:

1. mis diagnosis from the medical team

or

2. players are being overworked to such an extent their bodies are breaking down.

Well there can be more to it than that where the reoccurrence is concerned. The timing on when we get them back, the prep they do prior to coming back. Klopp often mentions they need one or two days back with the first team. Is that enough? We saw with thiago (I know, stop laughing) he'd only done a few days with the first team and we only gave him a few minutes and he was broken. But he'd had a year out. Do we need to protect them more when they first return? 

As for players like jota and Jones, there might not be an answer. They're just those players. But when you add in thiago, matip, konate, it starts looking like we're either bringing in and working with players who aren't physically up to it, or we're missing something. Maybe we're almost setting the medical team up to fail. 

All teams get injuries. But there are plenty who rarely do and certainly not at the extent we seem to quite often. I just think this summer with a new sporting director is a great chance to at least review what we're doing medically. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Same with Alisson wasn’t it?

Bringing players back from injury and having the same injury reoccur should be a very rare thing if you know what you’re doing. We clearly have too many of those.

57 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Same with Alisson wasn’t it?

Bringing players back from injury and having the same injury reoccur should be a very rare thing if you know what you’re doing. We clearly have too many of those.

I dunno what happened with alisson. He missed the first game when there was illness around the squad and the players went home and didn't train and he phoned in the day of the match. Klopp just said he didn't know what was wrong with him and the press speculated illness. But he then train and it seems got the hamstring the training session before the game. I got the impression it was bad from the outset. The Brazil couch said he'd miss the international. But it could be when it was speculated he was ill, he had a minor strain. It wouldn't surprise anyone would it?