You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The summer window will be Matheus Nunes in, Bellingham in if Champions League or some lesser alternative of the same profile in if we miss out on top 4. Those two will replace Ox and Keita numerically and then Bajcetic or Morton will replace Milner. 

Ambitious owners will get Bellingham now to finish in top 4. Difference between CL or not is in the best part of 50m.

The cunts we have won't spend though so the point is moot. 

32 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I fucking hate these owners now. Everything is about dampening expectations and avoiding spending money, every single excuse used to avoid it whilst using every opportunity to grab every penny possible. If we had never sold Coutinho we would probably still be on one league cup under their ownership with the odd 4th place finish. 

Fucking charlatans. Wish they would sell up, the money grabbing pricks. 

We did bring in Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo plus Carvalho and Ramsey within the past 12 months .

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's not why he was signed, though, It's a happy coincidence all our attackers are injured now and that he can step in. 

I get that the club felt that at 37million it was too much of a bargain not to take advantage of.

But I also think the lack of availability of our forwards was surely also a factor. If we had all 5 fit are we really going to be adding a sixth one in January? 

Probably not.

Whereas we had 2 fit, 2 out long term and we play a three forward system. We needed an attacker therefore.

21 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

As mystified I was when we signed Gakpo and not a midfielder, it does make sense with the number of injuries we have upfront. 

The squad needs 200m+ in one window followed by decent amounts in the next 2 windows.

But if the midfield is the overriding issue that everyone says it is and the single most important area of the field that needs improving then to commit so much money to so many players who play in a similar position seems negligent.

The injuries don't excuse it because injuries are temporary we could conceivably be in a position in March where we have Diaz, Jota, Nunez, Carvalho and Gakpo all vying for the same 1.5 positions, no cover for the right side of attack and the position everyone wants renewed yet to receive any reinforcements.

People can argue that we should be given more money until they're blue in the face but can anyone say the, not insignificant, amount spent on all those players has been spent in the most efficient way possible?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Everything bar a midfielder 

I think it is simply that FSG wont authorise outlay on a midfielder until Ox and Keita's wages are off the books.

It makes no difference to the budget/books if we bring in a Goalie, Defender, Midfielder or Attacker.

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Everything bar a midfielder 

I think it is simply that FSG wont authorise outlay on a midfielder until Ox and Keita's wages are off the books.

If its true its incredibly short sighted. Not being in the champions league because our midfield is weaker than a rich tea biscuit in a hot cup of tea will cost the club way more in the long run than Keita and Oxs wages... shit their wages since they've been here have been nothing but wasted money so what difference does the rest of their contract mean. 

They have been paying Arthur's £110,000 wages since he signed plus a £3m loan fee as well. He was injured for 2 seasons before that. Juventus must have been pissing themselves laughing when we took him. Played 13 minutes and has used the medical facilities non stop since his arrival. 

He's the most expensive health tourist in history. 

36 minutes ago, etho said:

I get that the club felt that at 37million it was too much of a bargain not to take advantage of.

But I also think the lack of availability of our forwards was surely also a factor. If we had all 5 fit are we really going to be adding a sixth one in January? 

Probably not.

Whereas we had 2 fit, 2 out long term and we play a three forward system. We needed an attacker therefore.

Well, when we signed Diaz the explanation was the same. Opportunity too good to pass up and other club wants to sign him, so we're moving it ahead to January.

I truly think it has nothing to do with injuries. Pretty much none of our business does. That's why when we have too many injuries, you get the Kabak's, the Davies' and the Arthur's. It's truly the stopgappiest of stopgaps.

43 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

People can argue that we should be given more money until they're blue in the face but can anyone say the, not insignificant, amount spent on all those players has been spent in the most efficient way possible?

I 100% agree.

Three other factors for me...

1. While I get the "first choice or nothing" approach but this season is looking more and more like a write off without going down the pecking order.
  2. And I think these are the more important points, the midfield issues have been the same since the first game of the season and we don't look to have done anything on the training pitch to correct it. I'm sure we've tried but it actually looks like it's getting worse. Nothing seems to have improved after 2/3 weeks in Dubai.
  3. Also, teams have been hungrier than us all season - Fulham, Man Utd, Newcastle, Everton, Napoli, Brighton, Arsenal, Forest, Leeds, Brentford and Wolves all very clearly wanted it more than us. 

How many times have we played well this season? Maybe a couple of the CL games were Ok and then Bournemouth and Man City in the league - twice in 17 games. 

Whoever we've signed / not signed, the current first team squad (coaches and players) should be performing much better than they are.

I reckon it’s Nunes and Bellingham or bust in the summer. The way we operate if we’ve done our due diligence and are confident then we won’t budge on our longer term targets. Obviously we will get rejected by Bellingham and go big on another attacker with Harvey, Curtis and Bajcetic being like new signings.

5 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I reckon it’s Nunes and Bellingham or bust in the summer. The way we operate if we’ve done our due diligence and are confident then we won’t budge on our longer term targets. Obviously we will get rejected by Bellingham and go big on another attacker with Ox, Keita and Fabinho being like new signings.

@dave u a few weeks ago on the pod you had mentioned that you dont think the owners have refused klopp money when he has wanted it.

today he has all but confirmed that he wants to strengthen but there is no money. he essentially said, if there was money, do you not think I would be using it?

could you try address this on an upcoming pod? because I think it is clear as crystal that all of those who called the owners minge bags on the FSG thread were right. we are about to make record profits but they are refusing to release funds. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

@dave u a few weeks ago on the pod you had mentioned that you dont think the owners have refused klopp money when he has wanted it.

today he has all but confirmed that he wants to strengthen but there is no money. he essentially said, if there was money, do you not think I would be using it?

could you try address this on an upcoming pod? because I think it is clear as crystal that all of those who called the owners minge bags on the FSG thread were right. we are about to make record profits but they are refusing to release funds. 

There could be several ways to intemperate Klopp here.

1. We have the money but our targets are not available.

2. As you say we have no money.

3. We have money but shit is gong down so hold our horses.

4. Deals are done and we can expect a few between now and summer.

Personal Klopp will go right down in my expectations if its 2. He should get to fuck for his own good and choose any job in world football. He is the best.

I hope its a mix of 1 and 4 but I suspect its 3. Fuck footy and money. It should not be like this. But it is.