You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

FSG think purely in £'s ( as you might expect ) and the difference between 4th and 1st in the Prem is massive to us fans but not on a money spreadsheet, and certainly not worth 9-figure outlays on players. The real money us in the CL and as long as Jurgen has kept us doing well in that I doubt FSG give a shiny shit about winning the Prem or the Cups except as a criticism-muffler from us.

If FSG gave us a champions league level budget Klopp would have us winning multiple trophies every year. 

Instead FSG give us a conference league budget and expect Klopp to perform miracles by getting us into the top 4 and above. 

• Upvote 4

So it's been heavily reported that we are buying Nunes from Wolves for 44m + add ons. We apparently arranged a pre-agreement with Wolves when they bought him last summer for 36m. We are now going to exercise that agreement and he will be joining us in summer 2022.

I'm not sure what kind of fucking retarded logic our club is employing nowadays but if the above is true (its being reported by very reputable journos), then god help us. We actively let him go to Wolves for 8m cheaper in order to give him a year to "acclimatize", when we were fucking desperate for a midfielder?

To me it stinks of one thing. We have been given indication that Bellingham will be going to Madrid. Nunes is VERY similar, occupies the RCM role and is much fucking cheaper. 

Nunes was our Bellingham insurance. That 44m is part of the 80-100m we had saved for Bellingham.

Joke of a fucking club.

15 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

So it's been heavily reported that we are buying Nunes from Wolves for 44m + add ons. We apparently arranged a pre-agreement with Wolves when they bought him last summer for 36m. We are now going to exercise that agreement and he will be joining us in summer 2022.

I'm not sure what kind of fucking retarded logic our club is employing nowadays but if the above is true (its being reported by very reputable journos), then god help us. We actively let him go to Wolves for 8m cheaper in order to give him a year to "acclimatize", when we were fucking desperate for a midfielder?

IF it's true and IF it happens then it seems like a smart idea. On the assumption that the 'deal' is true, 8 million for a player we were unsure about (and it'll be more than his adaptability) is a significantly smaller premium than you'd have to have paid with no deal in place if he'd lit things up at Wolves and with any deal seemingly an option, rather than guarantee, if any of the concerns the club had with him played out they had no obligation to buy him AND hadn't already stumped up the full fee buying him in the first place to find out.

To me it stinks of one thing. We have been given indication that Bellingham will be going to Madrid. Nunes is VERY similar, occupies the RCM role and is much fucking cheaper. 

You mean you read it on twitter from the Real Madrid fan accounts/LFC fans equally losing their shit on twitter over Real Madrid fan accounts.

FYI he played predominantly on the left of a double pivot for Sporting, Palhinha was the RCM.

Screen-Shot-2022-08-07-at-9.02.22-AM-102

Personally I don't think he's played anywhere enough, or done enough when he has played, to make me more or less interested in him than I would have been in the summer but I don't get to make the decisions.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

FSG think purely in £'s ( as you might expect ) and the difference between 4th and 1st in the Prem is massive to us fans but not on a money spreadsheet, and certainly not worth 9-figure outlays on players. The real money us in the CL and as long as Jurgen has kept us doing well in that I doubt FSG give a shiny shit about winning the Prem or the Cups except as a criticism-muffler from us.

Sad, but true. The last Champions league win built our global brand. In fact we’ve been finalists in 3 out of the last 5. FSG love that. That’s real fan growth for the merch, and bigger doh ray with tv rights and packed Euro nights above and beyond the domestic league.

Now we’re up for sale, but it might not happen until after this season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

IF it's true and IF it happens then it seems like a smart idea on the assumption that the 'deal' is true, 8 million for a player we were unsure about (and it'll be more than his adaptability) is a significantly smaller premium than you'd have to have paid with no deal in place if he'd lit things up at Wolves and with any deal seemingly an option rather than guarantee if any of the concerns the club had with him played out they had no obligation to buy him AND hadn't already stumped up the full fee buying him in the first place to find out.

You mean you read it on twitter from the Real Madrid fan accounts/LFC fans equally losing their shit on twitter over Real Madrid fan accounts.

FYI he played predominantly on the left of a double pivot for Sporting. 

Screen-Shot-2022-08-07-at-9.02.22-AM-102

Its 44m , 8 m more than we could have got him for last summer and it doesnt address our immediate requirements FSG are taking the piss.

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

Its 44m , 8 m more than we could have got him for last summer and it doesnt address our immediate requirements FSG are taking the piss.

8 Million is the premium I'm talking about not his total price, that's why I mention wasting more if we'd stumped up the full fee further down.

56 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If FSG gave us a champions league level budget Klopp would have us winning multiple trophies every year. 

Instead FSG give us a conference league budget and expect Klopp to perform miracles by getting us into the top 4 and above. 

Results speak for themselves. Remember the covid season? Oh boy were we in decline according to a lot of fans and pundits.

The very fact that Jurgen has worked miracles on a small budget, doesn’t give FSG any reason to change. I wonder what would happen if we finished low enough to avoid Europe completely this season?

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

8 Million is the premium I'm talking about not his total price, that's why I mention wasting more if we'd stumped up the full fee further down.

So what exactly has changed since the summer and now? Other than him trotting out some frankly shite performances at Wolves?

If you are spending 36m or 44m on a player it is done on thorough research over years of evidence. What the fuck is 6 months at Wolves meant to tell you.

4 hours ago, Freddo said:

Our scouting network must be shite. No one can tell any of us that there won’t be countless players across the globe who could improve us. South America is a breeding ground for cheaper players who are keen as fuck, rough as fuck and who will be desperate to make an impact. 
Shop there or wherever we can get value because we sure as hell aren’t and never we’re signing Bellingham. It’s voyeurism.

I read that Benfica already have 2 options in Argentina lined up if Fernandes goes. Meanwhile we , and I hope I am wrong, are lining up a target for the end of this season and it could all go belly up if we don’t qualify for the champions league.

11 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

So what exactly has changed since the summer and now? Other than him trotting out some frankly shite performances at Wolves?

If you are spending 36m or 44m on a player it is done on thorough research over years of evidence. What the fuck is 6 months at Wolves meant to tell you.

Already told you in my original post, I don't think he's played enough, or done enough at Wolves to move the needle but then I also wasn't one of the people who was shitting the bed when he went to Wolves in the first place so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Personally I think his passing and pass selection needs to be much much better, he has the Fernandes habit of making high risk passes and losing possession however if they're looking for someone to occupy that left midfield role then I would guess they are looking at his pressing/tackling ability in the first instance and will hopefully work on his pass selection/risk taking.

My guess is that they aren't close to exercising this imaginary clause in his deal and wouldn't make a decision until closer to the summer and they'd see him as more of a Caicedo alternative.

7 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Nunes was our Bellingham insurance. That 44m is part of the 80-100m we had saved for Bellingham.

Joke of a fucking club.

Woupd not put it past the club to be all part of the media campaign. 

The club leak it now and can then make it known that they want loan players now as they have planned to spend so much money in the summer and cannot afford both. 

Then in the summer, if we miss CL, we can pull out of it citing it is as the bright thing to do due to our sustainable model unfortunately caused by the "failure of Jürgen and the boys" to get CL. 

Hopefully the club really aren't that stupid. Suppose we will find out in the remainder of the month.

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Woupd not put it past the club to be all part of the media campaign. 

The club leak it now and can then make it known that they want loan players now as they have planned to spend so much money in the summer and cannot afford both. 

Then in the summer, if we miss CL, we can pull out of it citing it is as the bright thing to do due to our sustainable model unfortunately caused by the "failure of Jürgen and the boys" to get CL. 

Hopefully the club really aren't that stupid. Suppose we will find out in the remainder of the month.

If they spent half as much time as you do dreaming up conspiracies I'd be very concerned.

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

'Doubling up on Nunes/z chant can save Liverpool fans millions in throat lozenges.' 

That is probably too much for them. 

Probably most concerning for the owners, more than last night's game, will be that the malaise is spreading into the commercial arm. I was in the club shop before the Leicester game and there was a sign saying that unfortunately you couldn't get a shirt printed with Gakpo on it. 

Brought back memories of the time in the mid 90's when they ran out of "E's". Shirts sales with Ruddock and Mcmanaman spiked that night.

15 minutes ago, HBenn said:

That is probably too much for them. 

Probably most concerning for the owners, more than last night's game, will be that the malaise is spreading into the commercial arm. I was in the club shop before the Leicester game and there was a sign saying that unfortunately you couldn't get a shirt printed with Gakpo on it. 

Brought back memories of the time in the mid 90's when they ran out of "E's". Shirts sales with Ruddock and Mcmanaman spiked that night.

In fairness they probably had no number 8s as they were either all sold out to the Naby faithful or they haven't needed to stock them for 3 years.

45 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If they spent half as much time as you do dreaming up conspiracies I'd be very concerned.

As usual, here comes Mr FSG to try and spin how wonderful our owners are. 

I haven't spun any conspiracies, unless of course you mean the "conspiracy" I and plenty others have been consistently spinning since the summer which is without investing in our midfield we were in big trouble. 

You have mainly met that with an arrogant complacent attitude, defending FSG at every turn. Yeah, keep on with that. 

• Upvote 1