You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

Bjornebye

Nathan Eccleston sort of fits here. I always liked him anyway. If you have time to spare, have a listen to his interview with the Echo. A really intelligent and interesting character who speaks very well about the club, and has some really insightful things to say about players from Academy to first team level.

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2022 at 01:46, Bjornebye said:

The obvious one is Gazza but fuck me this lad if he'd stayed off the ale could have been a world beater

I'm sure hardly anyone has watched this clip but seriously, this lad had all the skill needed. Just didn't have the stamina or willpower. Saw him live a couple of times and he could do what he wanted with the ball. 

On 01/07/2022 at 20:32, Lee909 said:

Sheringham amd Fowler would have been a brilliant partnership. In and out the nightclubs

The one that was a shame was not getting g Jari Litmanen when he initially left Ajax. 

Absolutely criminal though how he was wasted at both clubs

I loved Jari in that Ajax team and was so excited when we signed him but he had a lot of injury issues throughout his career especially when he went to Barcelona and then came here.

17 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I loved Jari in that Ajax team and was so excited when we signed him but he had a lot of injury issues throughout his career especially when he went to Barcelona and then came here.

You could see his class though. I remember first seeing Babbel and thinking we are on the way here. Class players stand out. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You could see his class though. I remember first seeing Babbel and thinking we are on the way here. Class players stand out. 

Absolutely. Both of them were a class apart. Jari had loads of niggling injuries and then Babbel got that bastard of an illness. Glad he’s ok but it took one hell of a player away from the game. 

Can add Rob Jones and possibly Veggard Heggem to the list of RB we have lost due to injuries in the 90-00. Add Chris Kirkland to the injury plagued list. 

Christian Ziege Probably one that never quite achieved what he could

-----------------------Kirkland

Babbel--Carragher--Hyypia

Would have made one hell of a backline 

Probably still have fucked up the LB spot mind

On 01/07/2022 at 08:58, TD_LFC said:

Alvaro Recoba.

Also there's a book about a kid called Adrian Docherty who played for Utd and Derry that's supposedly good.

Yeah Recoba's a good shout. Incredible amount of ability, but one of the worst trainers of all time.

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah Recoba's a good shout. Incredible amount of ability, but one of the worst trainers of all time.

Wasn't in the best environment at the time either, Inter Milan would sign a player for big money Moratti would go off them and try to replace them in what felt like the same summer.

You could add Adriano and Mutu to that list as well.

19 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Wasn't in the best environment at the time either, Inter Milan would sign a player for big money Moratti would go off them and try to replace them in what felt like the same summer.

You could add Adriano and Mutu to that list as well.

True, Inter were fairly chaotic in those days. Recoba was notoriously lazy, though!

And yes they're both good shouts. See also the two Ronalds.

Recoba was a god back in Championship Manager 00/01 for me. 

Couldn't get anything to work in England but my tactics always worked in Italy. 4321 with Recoba as the 10. Used to buy sone Eastern European number 10 to back him up, both superb

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Can add Rob Jones and possibly Veggard Heggem to the list of RB we have lost due to injuries in the 90-00. Add Chris Kirkland to the injury plagued list. 

Christian Ziege Probably one that never quite achieved what he could

-----------------------Kirkland

Babbel--Carragher--Hyypia

Would have made one hell of a backline 

Probably still have fucked up the LB spot mind

Jim Beglin at left-back.