You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

Bjornebye

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Seems mad to say it, considering what he did achieve, but you're right: if his knees hadn't exploded, he could have ended all discussion about the best player ever.

I still think he's the best out and out striker ever. 

• Upvote 1

David Ginola. A lovely footballer. Whenever I watched him, he always stood as one of the best players on the pitch. However, he never proved it on the world stage for one reason or another. Talent wise I reckon he wasn’t far of Zidane.

31 minutes ago, aRdja said:

David Ginola. A lovely footballer. Whenever I watched him, he always stood as one of the best players on the pitch. However, he never proved it on the world stage for one reason or another. Talent wise I reckon he wasn’t far of Zidane.

True and the same could be said about Cantona. Great player for United domestically but didn't really shine in the CL or at international level for France

30 minutes ago, aRdja said:

See I don't see players like Ginola as not living up to their potential. Attitude,professionalism and application is as much part of being a football as a your touch etc. That's just something lacking. It's not the same as say Gascoigne having the obvious mental issues Ronaldo having injuries stopping them. 

27 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

True and the same could be said about Cantona. Great player for United domestically but didn't really shine in the CL or at international level for France

Know what you mean, but the his role in that domestic success was phenomenal, unfortunately for us. Brilliant signing by Ferguson.

An interesting character and a decent fella as evidenced by his singing on stage with the Hillsborough Justice campaign tour in France a few years back. 

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Know what you mean, but the his role in that domestic success was phenomenal, unfortunately for us. Brilliant signing by Ferguson.

An interesting character and a decent fella as evidenced by his singing on stage with the Hillsborough Justice campaign tour in France a few years back. 

Yeah totally agree about the domestic side of things.  

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Lee Trundle he made Jay-Jay Okocha look like Kevin Lisbie albeit at a lower level. The biggest waste of talent since Monet had his cataracts removed and ended up hating all his paintings so destroyed them. You won't see such silky mediocrity of that likes again.

Trundle by name,Trundle by nature.

Not playing for France at the time of Cantona and Ginola was more due to the French setup being a total mess and players and managers constantly falling out though wasn't it?

I seem to remember Cantona ended up not playing purely because he fell out with the manager.

I wish our players would do that with their international managers more. 

On 23/07/2022 at 10:21, Chairman Meow said:

Not playing for France at the time of Cantona and Ginola was more due to the French setup being a total mess and players and managers constantly falling out though wasn't it?

I seem to remember Cantona ended up not playing purely because he fell out with the manager.

I wish our players would do that with their international managers more. 

Cantona fell out with Henri Michel, but only missed a few months’ worth of international games because Michel left the set-up not long after his debut.
He was also binned by Aime Jacquet (who led France to the World Cup win) once he got suspended for his ninja nonsense after a fan shouted at him. Originally Cantona was the captain and main man for Jacquet’s team, but obviously they had to find a Plan B once he was out for a year, and Zidane just proved a better fit. 
When Cantona was in the France team they tended to underachieve, yet they were brilliant either side of that. They finished third in the 1986 World Cup, he joined the set-up and immediately played Billy Big Bollocks. He was brought back into the fold in time for them to miss Italia 90, self-combust at Euro 92, and then fail in hilarious fashion as they went for US94. And obviously once he got himself suspended they turned into the best team in the world.