You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

We're the top-scoring team in the league, but we're behind City because Greater Manchester born Paul Tierney and  Chris Kavanagh are either fucking incompetent or outright bent . 

Fixed

1 hour ago, Boss said:

We're the top-scoring team in the league, but we're behind City because we concede more. We've never scored goals from midfield under Klopp, so we may as well play Fabinho and Tchouameni together. At least that way, we can stop opponents' attacks dead in their tracks and recycle possession higher up the field. I don't think we'll need to flip the triangle either. Tchouameni can play as the right-sided midfielder and protect us from the ball over the top when Trent ventures forward. Loads of teams try and do that to us now. We need someone more defensively sound than Henderson to deal with it.

It's not as simple as that. A big part of the right side for the last few years has been that the midfielder there can play wide, can combine there and is a threat with his crossing, so that Trent can also come inside and there's an interchange. Henderson, Chamberlain and Elliott are right sided players at their core with some winger skills. And then we've also had Keita and Thiago there who are more technical. Tchouameni is not really the player to do that. Like I say, the tactical fit is simply not obvious at all.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not as simple as that. A big part of the right side for the last few years has been that the midfielder there can play wide, can combine there and is a threat with his crossing, so that Trent can also come inside and there's an interchange. Henderson, Chamberlain and Elliott are right sided players at their core with some winger skills. And then we've also had Keita and Thiago there who are more technical. Tchouameni is not really the player to do that. Like I say, the tactical fit is simply not obvious at all.

Presumably he'd be more of the left midfielder like Gini was?  It would mean that he would maybe not be first choice, but first choice cover for two positions, so would get a decent amount of game time.

We'd also lose the extra passing ability that Thiago has if we played Fabinho/Tchouameni together, but we did ok with that previously.  

9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Presumably he'd be more of the left midfielder like Gini was?  It would mean that he would maybe not be first choice, but first choice cover for two positions, so would get a decent amount of game time.

We'd also lose the extra passing ability that Thiago has if we played Fabinho/Tchouameni together, but we did ok with that previously.  

Yeah, he'd be left side, given what he does. Just looking at it, if we assume that Fabinho and Thiago on the left is the obvious first choice pairing and then that Henderson is getting older, slowing down and maybe transitioning into more of a Milner-esque utility role, then the right side is probably what we should look to upgrade.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, he'd be left side, given what he does. Just looking at it, if we assume that Fabinho and Thiago on the left is the obvious first choice pairing and then that Henderson is getting older, slowing down and maybe transitioning into more of a Milner-esque utility role, then the right side is probably what we should look to upgrade.

In an ideal world, where we're free to choose, it would be great to have a Tchouameni type for the Fab & Thiago back up, plus a younger more creative player for the right side, yep.

I guess we have Elliot, Jones, Ox and Keita backing up Hendo there at the moment though, so probably one of Ox & Keita out and Tchouameni in would be fine.  Then do the other one next season seeing how Jones and Elliot progress.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What if the fella can actually play football? Not such a worry fitting him in then.

If the point is simply to buy good players, then we should buy him, because he's very good. But usually you have to go a little deeper than that and look at fit and tactics and whatnot.

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Tchouameni and young Carvalho would represent a sensational summer window.

I'd go with that.

Add in a Tsimikas-level backup RB, though. And maybe a 16 year old or two, always nice to have a "next X" or a "Polish/Bulgarian/Argentinean Y" in the youth setup.

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If the lad can fit into both the Fabinho/Thiago roles then he is perfect fit. Because lets face t both miss a number of games

His passing doesn’t appear to be very perceptive. To me he’s more in the mould of Allan, Partey or Bissouma. An athletic midfielder who’s very capable defensively with little notable attacking qualities.

• Downvote 1

He looks good enough to play as a box to box to me. He won young player of the year in his first full season. He's been one of the best players in the league in his second season. If we don't sign him in the summer, he'll probably be the best player in the league next season. Then the price will become ridiculous. Get it done. His potential is massive.

• Upvote 1

I reckon we sign 4 players this summer. Tchouameni, Nunez, Bellingham the younger and then we tell Bellingham the less younger that he signs for us the year after or we ruin his little brothers career. About time we got nasty and if a man called Julian isn’t the one to start the bastard revolution then I don’t know who is.

I reckon we sign 4 players this summer. Tchouameni, Nunez, Bellingham the younger and then we tell Bellingham the less younger that he signs for us the year after or we ruin his little brothers career. About time we got nasty and if a man called Julian isn’t the one to start the bastard revolution then I don’t know who is.

Tchouameni looks like a good prospect, but when it comes to midfield reinforcements Bellingham is the priority for me. They're totally different players but I just wouldn't want to lose out on the latter if we didn't have the funds for both.

For me, we're entering a space where quality certainly beats out quantity. Here's how I read it:

• GK: Allison, Kelleher (-Adrian)
  • RB: Trent, Gomez (+Noussair Mazraoui [Free])
    • (-Neco Williams, £20m)
  • CB: VVD, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Rhys Williams
    • (-Ben Davies, Nat Phillips, £30m)
  • LB: Robbo, Tsimikas
  • CM: Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Elliot, Jones (+Bellingham, £90m) (+Tchouameni, £40m) 
    • (-Oxlaid, -Milner, £20m)
  • FWD: Salah, Mane, Diaz, Firmino, Jota (+Nkunku, £50m) 
    • (-Origi, -Minamino, £20m)

That'd be a net outlay of £90m and I've done my best to stay conservative with figures. In order of priority, I would say Bellingham > Nkunku > Mazraoui > Tchouameni, only because:

• I trust Klopp to be able to coach any of our midfielders bar Elliot to be a semi-effective number 6 if Fab is out. But I don't think you can coach a player to be what Bellingham is
  • We need a RB, and Noussair is on a free and being touted for Barca; I think he'd be a Tsimikas clone on the right side
  • This season, Origi has 7 G/A and Minamino has 10 G/A. If we lose both (we will def lose Origi and I think Jesse Marsch will be in for Taki), we need another forward. Nkunku or Adeyemi could be options
  • I think it's time to call the curtain on Adrian, Milner and Oxlaid. I'd rather we saved the wages because their contributions at this point are mainly non-football related.

I know about 5% of the above is going to come true so I have no fucking clue why I just spent 20 mins writing all of that out. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Dunno if he's durable enough. 

Probably not but I think he's pure class and would help bridge that slight technical gap between us and City. He'll probably go to somewhere else in Europe.