You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

15 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Disrespecting your son's employer mere days after they've had to support you because you got kidnapped. #Savage, as the kids would say.

Liverpool have flown the parents and wider family of Luis Diaz to the city so they can spend Christmas together.

It follows the release of the Colombia forward's father, Luis Manuel Diaz, by kidnappers who had held him hostage for 12 days.

In providing support for Diaz, Liverpool chartered a plane for Diaz and his wider family on Friday to bring them to Merseyside and help the family following their traumatic experience.

16 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

His dad's just been quoted saying Luis is a big Barca fan and it's his dream to go there. 

Disrespecting your son's employer mere days after they've had to support you because you got kidnapped. #Savage, as the kids would say.

Send him back to the kidnappers, ungrateful twat.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Diaz’s Dad spectacularly failing to read the room. Fucking ingrate.

That’s probably what got him kidnapped in the first place.

”My god, Luis Manuel, those men have masks and guns. They’re coming towards us. Drive! Drive! Drive!”

”Calm down dear. I’m sure they’re just lost and want to ask us for directions.”

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

The season we bought him, he was scoring or assisting every game for Porto, playing as a left midfielder in a 4-4-2.

The player he is now is an above average goal and dribbling threat for a winger that plays it very safe with the ball.

All a bit disappointing.

Don't think he's got over that injury against Arsenal. Took Virg a while so holding out hope but if a good offer cone in for him, I'd seriously consider it. We would need soneone else that can pacy,dribbling winger though to replace him

He's missed a big chunk injured. He's had issues with his dad. He's also had a lot of disruption with whoever has been filling the left mid slot. And this season similar at left back. The forwards rotate and change all the time, so it's really difficult to build up the types of relationships we saw.over a long period with mane, Gini and robbo to Bobby and Salah the other way. 

Could he hit a higher level? Maybe. He certainly looked like he could when he first joined us and at times he can be as frustrating as fuck. But he works really hard, is a great out ball for us and while he physically doesn't seem quite the warrior mane was, he's no shrinking violet. All of our forwards could probably do a bit more at times. Everyone is creaming over Jota at the moment, but it wasn't so long ago he'd had a period in and out of the team with injury and form and had gone almost a year without scoring. 

I love all our forwards are different to each other. I don't think we are going to see that sort of thing we had for a couple of years with mane, bonny and Salah. What we had then was like a surgical knife. We now have more of a swiss army knife. But as long as you can still cut things open, I'm not sure it matters. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's missed a big chunk injured. He's had issues with his dad. He's also had a lot of disruption with whoever has been filling the left mid slot. And this season similar at left back. The forwards rotate and change all the time, so it's really difficult to build up the types of relationships we saw.over a long period with mane, Gini and robbo to Bobby and Salah the other way. 

Could he hit a higher level? Maybe. He certainly looked like he could when he first joined us and at times he can be as frustrating as fuck. But he works really hard, is a great out ball for us and while he physically doesn't seem quite the warrior mane was, he's no shrinking violet. All of our forwards could probably do a bit more at times. Everyone is creaming over Jota at the moment, but it wasn't so long ago he'd had a period in and out of the team with injury and form and had gone almost a year without scoring. 

I love all our forwards are different to each other. I don't think we are going to see that sort of thing we had for a couple of years with mane, bonny and Salah. What we had then was like a surgical knife. We now have more of a swiss army knife. But as long as you can still cut things open, I'm not sure it matters. 

People were wanting Jota gone not too long ago. We do have a lot of championship manager fans who kneejerk want everyone sold if they're out of form. We've seen Diaz perform at a higher level pre injury so imo he can hit at least that standard. Like you say he's been injured and his dad was fucking kidnapped.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like Luis Diaz and when he came in he was electric, he showed that Mane had lost half a yard of pace as he was beating people for fun and Mane moved central as he took his place, effectively which is no mean feat.

Whether it’s the injury, and that could be a huge factor, for me he hasn’t kicked on as much as I expected. He’s a very good player, would get in most prem teams, and maybe it’s an unfair comparison with Mane and Salah but i feel like he should be giving us more, and his decision making in terms of pass or execution when linking with the front 3 has room for improvement. At 26 he is what he is I suspect and while he’s a good player wouldn’t be gutted if we was moved on under a new manager, he could be upgraded 

• Upvote 1

I think we're weaker down the left as he doesn't bring the LB into play often enough - and quickly enough.  I think there was one obvious exception yesterday where Robertson got a run and a cross in, but it doesn't happen enough, as Diaz's natural instinct is to cut in and run across the front of the penalty area looking to get a shot away.  Still, he played better than he has for some time yesterday, so good on him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think we're weaker down the left as he doesn't bring the LB into play often enough - and quickly enough.  I think there was one obvious exception yesterday where Robertson got a run and a cross in, but it doesn't happen enough, as Diaz's natural instinct is to cut in and run across the front of the penalty area looking to get a shot away.  Still, he played better than he has for some time yesterday, so good on him.

That's Salah's preference from the right and it hasn't stopped Trent or Bradley.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

That's Salah's preference from the right and it hasn't stopped Trent or Bradley.

I think Salah is much more inclined to bring the RM and RB into play when necessary.  I think when Tsimikas/Gomez are playing on the left, it's a missed opportunity when Diaz chooses to ignore them.  Having said that, when Gomez in particular plays, it is clear he's given different instructions to, say, Robertson, as Gomez is often encouraged to come infield himself when we're in possession. 

Just now, stringvest said:

I think Salah is much more inclined to bring the RM and RB into play when necessary.  I think when Tsimikas/Gomez are playing on the left, it's a missed opportunity when Diaz chooses to ignore them.  Having said that, when Gomez in particular plays, it is clear he's given different instructions to, say, Robertson, as Gomez is often encouraged to come infield himself when we're in possession. 

It's a tactical thing not a Diaz issue.

We predominantly attack down the right and look to get three players (Salah, the right sided midfielder in the 3 and the full back) to group together on the right hand side, the left side isn't afforded that focus and so you don't see the same set up.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

It's a tactical thing not a Diaz issue.

We predominantly attack down the right and look to get three players (Salah, the right sided midfielder in the 3 and the full back) to group together on the right hand side, the left side isn't afforded that focus and so you don't see the same set up.

you can't have such a narrow tactic.  It's more to do with Diaz's instinct and the players we have available on that side to support.

• Upvote 1