You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 90s Movie Ever - Group B

Bjornebye

Greatest 90s Movie Ever - Group B  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/21 at 08:28

Quite a tricky one, I could easily have voted for Boogie Nights, Fight Club, Groundhog Day or Apollo 13, but went for Pulp Fiction and The Matrix on the grounds that these are what I'd choose to watch this afternoon instead of the others.

This 90s tournament isn't doing too much for me so far. I think there's only been two films I like out of the first 16.

Gone for Boogie Nights & Tombstone here although neither of them are amazing films IMO.

The Matrix blew me away when I saw it at the cinema. The final nail in the coffin for all those dumb 80s-style action moves too, for which I am eternally grateful. No wonder Arnie went into politics right after this was released.

Magnolia is a marvellous piece of film-making that contains Tom Cruise's finest performance.

Finally, just a note on this poll's runaway leader, Pulp Fiction. A fantastically well-written, well-acted, well-directed film that says precisely nothing. An absolute triumph in epic vacuity.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The Matrix blew me away when I saw it at the cinema. The final nail in the coffin for all those dumb 80s-style action moves too, for which I am eternally grateful. No wonder Arnie went into politics right after this was released.

Magnolia is a marvellous piece of film-making that contains Tom Cruise's finest performance.

Finally, just a note on this poll's runaway leader, Pulp Fiction. A fantastically well-written, well-acted, well-directed film that says precisely nothing. An absolute triumph in epic vacuity.

John Matrix > The Matrix

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why do you think Pulp Fiction is particularly vacuous?  It's a story about a group of people who want to achieve things that are important to them or just get by. That is usually enough. You can even interpret the actions of Travolta and Jackson characters through their moral dilemmas.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why do you think Pulp Fiction is particularly vacuous?  It's a story about a group of people who want to achieve things that are important to them or just get by. That is usually enough. You can even interpret the actions of Travolta and Jackson characters through their moral dilemmas.

It might be similar to my previously mentioned issue with Goodfellas. Nearly all of the people in this film are bad people.

As I say, I can recognise its technical excellence even if I don't like it as much as most.

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It might be similar to my previously mentioned issue with Goodfellas. Nearly all of the people in this film are bad people.

As I say, I can recognise its technical excellence even if I don't like it as much as most.

You mean bad as in not relatable or morally corrupt, or that all characters are essentially villains?

I remember a discussion I had with someone arguing it was not great because it was too mannerist and this narrative structure has been done before etc. For me, the greatness  is in dialogue and in how characters are constructed through them. Tarantino knows how to "humanize" his villains, by making them of flesh and blood, people who extensively talk about pop-culture for example, which then, of course, launched a thousand bad scripts full of chatty opinionated villains throwing around more references than a Billions character.  

I remember going to see Pulp Fiction when it came out and expecting to hate it because it was sooo overhyped, there were irritating proto-hipster types around repeating dialogue lines but after 10 or 15 minutes I had to surrender, sit back and enjoy the shear brilliance of it.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Went for Groundhog Day and Tombstone. They're more personal favourites, as opposed to the greatest, but as brilliant as Magnolia is I'd always choose to watch Doc vs. Johnny Ringo over it. The film that convinced me to try growing a bit fuck off moustache.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Doc is one of the greatest "not the main character" characters in movie history. Unreal performance from Kilmer. 

• Upvote 1