You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Pureblood said:

I hear what you're saying, but I think the oligarchs in particular will be able to withstand the sanctions and the middle classes, well I don't see what they've done to deserve being punished in that way.   I wasn't sure about the sanctions at first, but when I read that they will lead to the possibility of mass starvation in places like Africa, and possibly further afield, that crossed a line for me.  Even the possibility of something like that crosses a line for me.  People around the world have the right to basic things like food and warmth, regardless of what is going on in Ukraine (I don't mean that to sound callous).  I don't mind paying higher petrol prices for a while and a bit extra for a meal deal, but famine/mass starvation is a big no-no.   

I totally get that, but Russia cant just be allowed to walk over an entire nation. What would you do if they tried it here?

I think you underestimate just how much the people of Russia like their luxuries. Ive worked around a lot of wealthy Russians to know that this wont fly with them. Putin relies on the rich and wealthy to prop him up, any threat to that high life and he is in trouble.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

I hear what you're saying, but I think the oligarchs in particular will be able to withstand the sanctions and the middle classes, well I don't see what they've done to deserve being punished in that way.   I wasn't sure about the sanctions at first, but when I read that they will lead to the possibility of mass starvation in places like Africa, and possibly further afield, that crossed a line for me.  Even the possibility of something like that crosses a line for me.  People around the world have the right to basic things like food and warmth, regardless of what is going on in Ukraine (I don't mean that to sound callous).  I don't mind paying higher petrol prices for a while and a bit extra for a meal deal, but famine/mass starvation is a big no-no.   

You are not unique in not wanting people to starve, you dont care more for the people that are suffering or will suffer more than anyone else in this thread. The invasion of Ukraine itself, without sanctions on Russia, will cause people to starve both there and elsewhere.

Putin needs to be stopped and at the moment the only weapon we (the west) have that might stop him is sanctions. If you think just talking will stop him, you are deluded.

The sirens have gone off in my wife's hometown, it's 45 minutes drive from Lutsk, a small town called Luboml. We're just stunned. 

It's not far from the Belarus border and with the latest shithousery, who fucking knows what will happen from the North. 

Fucking fuck this. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

The sirens have gone off in my wife's hometown, it's 45 minutes drive from Lutsk, a small town called Luboml. We're just stunned. 

It's not far from the Belarus border and with the latest shithousery, who fucking knows what will happen from the North. 

Fucking fuck this. 

Thinking of you both, mate.

5 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

I totally get that, but Russia cant just be allowed to walk over an entire nation. What would you do if they tried it here?

I think you underestimate just how much the people of Russia like their luxuries. Ive worked around a lot of wealthy Russians to know that this wont fly with them. Putin relies on the rich and wealthy to prop him up, any threat to that high life and he is in trouble.

Oligarchs aside, don't you think Russian people are entitled to their luxuries?  What separates them from us?  Opinions differ, but I don't think these sanctions will bring down Putin.  I think the situation has been pounced upon by Western leaders, you only have to hear what Liz Truss was saying today.  It's immoral to use this crisis to further exacerbate and prolong the cost of living crisis, in my opinion.  It's unfair to punish everyone in that way and globally it could lead to mass starvation/death with fuel shortages, fertilizer shortages and the resulting food scarcity.  So I've made my call, and that's why I'm against these sanctions.  

I don't know what the solution is, though.    

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Fucking fuck this. 

Hope she's stays safe lad.

Just now, DJLJ said:

Amazing how the same people that was experts in virulogy are now experts in military and nuclear physics and dirty bombs and foreign relations etc. 

I'm not an expert in any of those things, you prissy twat.  I have a general interest in them because they're important global issues and they affect me personally.  Is that okay with you?

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Fucking fuck this. 

Shite, sadly inevitable but shite all the same.

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Fucking fuck this. 

Keep your heads down, bud.

13 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Fucking fuck this. 

Fuck sake. Hope everyone stays safe Zeb. Last thing you need right now. 

2 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

I'm sure there's been some serious thought into this from those who are experts within their designated fields. It's a huge move to sanction a country. Like most things we'll just have to see what happens. 

I read the sanctions as a part of a phased approach should this escalate further. Destabilising a country prior to warfare is like two mad cunts having a boat race but one clever cunt has drilled a small hole in the side of the others boat. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Oligarchs aside, don't you think Russian people are entitled to their luxuries?  What separates them from us?  Opinions differ, but I don't think these sanctions will bring down Putin.  I think the situation has been pounced upon by Western leaders, you only have to hear what Liz Truss was saying today.  It's immoral to use this crisis to further exacerbate and prolong the cost of living crisis, in my opinion.  It's unfair to punish everyone in that way and globally it could lead to mass starvation/death with fuel shortages, fertilizer shortages and the resulting food scarcity.  So I've made my call, and that's why I'm against these sanctions.  

Putting the pressure on them may help to topple putin. They may be deprived of their luxuries but people are dying and losing their homes. For me, that's something I'm happy let go. Children are being killed... fuck their luxuries.

5 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

I'm not an expert in any of those things, you prissy twat.  I have a general interest in them because they're important global issues and they affect me personally.  Is that okay with you?

Correct. You aren’t and yea that is fine with me. I’m not fine with all the other crap you do on here, which has shown you up for exactly the kind of person you are. That I’m not ok with. Now run away again or threaten to kill someone, just like you normally do. 

Just now, Fugitive said:

Putting the pressure on them may help to topple putin. They may be deprived of their luxuries but people are dying and losing their homes. For me, that's something I'm happy let go. Children are being killed... fuck their luxuries.

Yeah well, we'll see how it plays out.  I think Putin will ride it out and stay in power for this conflict and well beyond.  Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Correct. You aren’t and yea that is fine with me. I’m not fine with all the other crap you do on here, which has shown you up for exactly the kind of person you are. That I’m not ok with. Now run away again or threaten to kill someone, just like you normally do. 

Fuck off, idiot. 

4 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Yeah well, we'll see how it plays out.  I think Putin will ride it out and stay in power for this conflict and well beyond.  Just my opinion. 

Fair enough. Dont think we will agree on this but im not gonna turn this into a shouting match. This issue is too important for that.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bot said:

Hope she's stays safe lad.

She's with me in Milton Keynes. Her parents, grandparents, Uncles, aunts, cousins, cat and friends are there though. 

Her parents were supposed to be here on Thursday and now they have to take cover. 

This is hell. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

As I said, you don't care anymore than anyone else, we all want a solution that ends this with the least amount of suffering.

Just in case you think you've planted your flag on the moral high ground.

3 minutes ago, Remmie said:

She's with me in Milton Keynes. Her parents, grandparents, Uncles, aunts, cousins, cat and friends are there though. 

Her parents were supposed to be here on Thursday and now they have to take cover. 

This is hell. 

Can't begin to imagine how you feel.  Sending love xx

5 minutes ago, Remmie said:

This is hell. 

Hopefully its just sirens.

What are they saying, how do they feel about it all? Apart from obviosly being terrified.

3 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

More of the right involvement.

Which is...? I see a LOT of wise-after-the-event revisionism in the links you post, and the opinions you put forward. Where were these blinding insights back in 2021 when this thread started? Or before, even? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I can't make much sense of what you're getting at here so I'll try to be as clear as possible :

Nuland is concerned about "research materials" falling into the hands of Russians.

I said it should be safe to assume that the Russian forces know to be careful in those areas.

If Russians getting hold of "research materials" is actually a real problem for the US, I have no idea at all why that's the case.

If there's some type of dangerous research stuff there similar to what was in wuhan, maybe the US would've been better openly, publically saying exactly what was there and that the US are in contact with both Ukraine and Russia to ensure that they get that stuff out of the area(s) safely.

You don't think if they had something dangerous or very embarrassing "that can be taken out of the area safely" this would have been done in the days when they had credible information Russia is going to attack?

You don't think it Russians had real information that the US has something embarrassing in Ukraine, they would have come out fully with it, rather than insinuating stuff, which looks to be aimed only at inserting yet another topic into the conversation to draw attention from the fact they are in the middle of the first open all-out invasion in Europe since WWII?