You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, A Red said:

The idea behind sanctions on Russia and the oligarchs, is essentially to try to make the Russian people turn against Putin and other throw him. Dictators such as him only react to strength and consider dialogue as weakness and a waste of time. The message to him needs to be, you cant just steamroller your way through countries without paying a high price.

Sanctions might not work but there is a far better chance it will than just talking to him whilst he continues to bomb the shit out Ukraine. 

Well it's a crap idea, and it won't work.  

Fair enough if you think it's a good idea, each to their own.

But you don't fool Pureblood that easily. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

The chances of Russia invading Finland or Sweden are next to non existent, after this disaster the Russian army are invading no one.

Russia nearly screwed it up against Finland before, it was one of the reasons Hitler felt emboldened to go after them. Thing is, Russia were match fit by then and fucked Germany over good and proper.

1 minute ago, Pureblood said:

Well it's a crap idea, and it won't work.  

Fair enough if you think it's a good idea, each to their own.

But you don't fool Pureblood that easily. 

Good for you, you know best. You continue to follow the view of a politician who advocates talking only and was for the break up of NATO as there was no threat to the west.

Those words from Liz Truss from the article Gnasher posted are just chilling.  I bet that nobhead Steer Calmer will go along with it all, too.  Where is the political opposition?  Don't you need some sort of electoral mandate to stand up in Parliament and tell your own population you're going to deliberately screw them over?  No political opposition, no checks or balances.  They are all rotten to the core. 

Just now, M_B said:

For the flight geeks out there - am just watching flightradar24 over Ukraine, and there is a British eurofighter from Cyprus doing circuits next to the Ukrainian Romanian border north east of Bucharest.

Yeah, there’s lots of CAP missions going on all around. Lots of flights out of the UK and UK based US bases today too. 

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Good for you, you know best. You continue to follow the view of a politician who advocates talking only and was for the break up of NATO as there was no threat to the west.

Yes, I agree with him entirely on those points.  I would give my left testicle for him to still be leader of the Labour Party.  That's what genuine opposition looks like.  

3 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Yes, I agree with him entirely on those points.  I would give my left testicle for him to still be leader of the Labour Party.  That's what genuine opposition looks like.  

Im also a JC fan , but you have to admit he was never getting in no 10.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Drone update: Russia and Ukraine both denying it was one of theirs. Buck being passed along the flight route, NATO has been following it ever since Ukraine, Romania saying, yes, yes we had it in our airspace but only for two or three minutes, whatchagonnado, Hungary, we followed it for about 40 minutes, it is important to remain calm, Croatia, we followed it for seven or eight minutes - and you did what?

This is a 11 meter-long aircraft weighing 6 tonnes flying out of control at the speed of 700 km/h toward a major urban area.  

Top aggressive monitoring from all involved. Turns out LFC are amateurs.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nah, liberals are never happy.

This has got to be a headspinner for you -- Russian censorship and Ukranian mandates.

You're reminding me of the covid stuff now (I've not abandoned that either, just having a break from it.) Surely if we start talking about censorship and mandates then maybe bring passes into this thread too it'll be like Ghostbusters crossing the streams? This could be a danger to the stability of the entire GF.

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

The most credible part of that seems to be the question, ‘What is in those Ukrainian biological labs that make them so worrisome and dangerous?’ well, yes, it would be nice to know what we are talking about before implying things.

Yeah I think that's a good question, also this though :

If these labs are merely designed to find a cure for cancer or create safety measures against pathogens, why, in Nuland's mind, would it have anything to do with a biological and chemical weapons program in Ukraine?

Maybe she just heard biological and then jumped to the labs?

And there's this part too that I think is interesting :

Any attempt to claim that Ukraine's biological facilities are just benign and standard medical labs is negated by Nuland's explicitly grave concern that “Russian forces may be seeking to gain control of” those facilities and that the U.S. Government therefore is, right this minute, “working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces.”

As we know though there's no fucking way they're going to tell us anything if there was actually some dangerous stuff in those labs.

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

Im also a JC fan , but you have to admit he was never getting in no 10.

No, but he did inflict voting defeats on successive PMs (I believe he defeated Theresa May by a record vote but correct me if I'm wrong).  He provided real opposition, instead of propping up the current mob. 

14 minutes ago, A Red said:

Russia nearly screwed it up against Finland before, it was one of the reasons Hitler felt emboldened to go after them. Thing is, Russia were match fit by then and fucked Germany over good and proper.

I'd be amazed if Russia go on another away trip anytime soon tbh, especially not a fellow Slav country, the Russians now know the consequences are hugh and it'll prove to be madness. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'd be amazed if Russia go on another away trip anytime soon tbh, especially not a fellow Slav country, the Russians now know the consequences are hugh and it'll prove to be madness. 

It’s just a short hop across the Bering Strait. Just saying, Vlad….

3 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

No, but he did inflict voting defeats on successive PMs (I believe he defeated Theresa May by a record vote but correct me if I'm wrong).  He provided real opposition, instead of propping up the current mob. 

Starmer has got it right in my opinion. Backing the government and showing a united front to Putin but holding Johnson to account when he has to e.g oligarch sanctions. Remember Putin looks for weaknesses and Corbyn would be doing exactly what he wanted him to.

20 minutes ago, A Red said:

Depends what you call the west, they wouldn't dream of going anywhere like France, Italy, Britain etc. they'd get hammered. Russia and Ukraine have had a volatile relationship since the breakup of the Soviet Union, its got worse after 2014 and they are on their border, the Russkies/Putin have been itching to give the Ukrainians a bit of a kicking for years. 

13 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

also this though

Although what? She didn't say anything about weapons in the clip I saw, that's entirely his input. 

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

As we know though there's no fucking way they're going to tell us anything if there was actually some dangerous stuff in those labs.

Most labs do have dangerous stuff in it. My fear isn't that it has weapons labs, like every other nation involved in this article including Russia, but medical facilities like in wuhan. Either way, it's not a valid point to say that because Russia already have a capability, it must be something else (like weapons) when they already have those too. It's an empty piece with very little to say. 

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

Starmer has got it right in my opinion. Backing the government and showing a united front to Putin but holding Johnson to account when he has to e.g oligarch sanctions. Remember Putin looks for weaknesses and Corbyn would be doing exactly what he wanted him to.

Presumably this is the same jeremy.corbyn who was tellimg the world what a cunt putin was, when he was taking a day trip out with the Queen.and being welcomed by the likes of Blair and Bush?

14 minutes ago, A Red said:

Of course you like Starmer, he props up the incumbent government and goes along with everything they say on the big issues (Covid, Ukraine).  He's a wet dream for this Tory government. 

Anyway, I've sent an urgent carrier Pidgeon to the leaders of the EU and NATO countries letting them know former pathogen and vaccine expert (since 2019) turned sanctions efficacy expert (Feb 22) 'knows' that these sanctions won't work, so they best knock it on the head. 

Expecting an update on the news any time now. 

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Anyway, I've sent an urgent carrier Pidgeon to the leaders of the EU and NATO countries letting them know former pathogen and vaccine expert (since 2019) turned sanctions efficacy expert (Feb 22) 'knows' that these sanctions won't work, so they best knock it on the head. 

*pigeon