You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia Report

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Mook said:

Are you not moving to Australia?

As for democracy, I don't fucking think so.

7 hours ago, cloggypop said:

You, an Australian, got to vote whereas I didn't because it was only an advisory referendum. 

I was a resident of the UK at the time. All commonwealth residents living in the UK can vote in your elections, so I voted in every single election/referendum you had from 2015-2019.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I was a resident of the UK at the time. All commonwealth residents living in the UK can vote in your elections, so I voted in every single election/referendum you had from 2015-2019.

And so you should but your comment about us having to make the most of it while you're going to be on the other side of the planet was a bit off.

Some of us are desperately unhappy about this farce, which was achieved through lies, brainwashing & dirty tricks rather than democracy.

46 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That should’ve been the aim IMO. It was a binary choice whether to leave or remain in the EU. The politicians had ample opportunity to define and sell a vision their own vision of Brexit. For example, Labour IMO should have just accepted the result and owned it, and defined it as “we will leave the EU but remain in the single market (or the customs union)”.

Brexiters wouldn't accept it. Their number one priority was ending free movement. You can't do that if you're in the single market.

46 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Brexiters wouldn't accept it. Their number one priority was ending free movement. You can't do that if you're in the single market.

Your PM, a vocal Brexiteer himself, was once a supporter of staying in the single market. I honestly believe that Labour could’ve done a much better job of taking control of the narrative and defined Brexit as something much more palatable than one we’re seeing now.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

And so you should but your comment about us having to make the most of it while you're going to be on the other side of the planet was a bit off.

Some of us are desperately unhappy about this farce, which was achieved through lies, brainwashing & dirty tricks rather than democracy.

Yeah I accept that. However, it’s a topic I’m interested in, and my wife is english, her family still live in Bristol, and we are open to returning there to live again at some point.

9 hours ago, Mook said:

Are you not moving to Australia?

As for democracy, I don't fucking think so.

I presume you mean Scotland want to remain and are being forced to leave? I agree with you, that’s not fair, if Scotland voted to remain then they should be allowed to. I used to think Independence and the breaking of the Union was a bad idea but now I honestly think it’s for the best for all concerned. I would imagine if there was a referendum again it would be a leave vote. It needs to happen now I think.

8 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I presume you mean Scotland want to remain and are being forced to leave? I agree with you, that’s not fair, if Scotland voted to remain then they should be allowed to. I used to think Independence and the breaking of the Union was a bad idea but now I honestly think it’s for the best for all concerned. I would imagine if there was a referendum again it would be a leave vote. It needs to happen now I think.

No, I mean there isn't a democracy in Britain.

Anyone who thinks there is, is very naive. The politicians are corrupt, the media is corrupt, the voting system is corrupt. The whole thing stinks from top to bottom.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

No, I mean there isn't a democracy in Britain.

Anyone who thinks there is, is very naive. The politicians are corrupt, the media is corrupt, the voting system is corrupt. The whole thing stinks from top to bottom.

Well, there are many democratic freedoms in the UK, it’s just that they undermined by the things you mention and many other things besides. It’s like that - to varying degrees - practically everywhere but it doesn’t mean it isn’t a democracy. The trick seems to be exposing and changing the factors we view as undemocratic. 

14 minutes ago, Numero said:

Well, there are many democratic freedoms in the UK, it’s just that they undermined by the things you mention and many other things besides. It’s like that - to varying degrees - practically everywhere but it doesn’t mean it isn’t a democracy. The trick seems to be exposing and changing the factors we view as undemocratic. 

In my opinion, if our democratic freedoms are undermined by all these factors, then it's not really a democracy.

11 minutes ago, Numero said:

Fair enough, but that leads to a question: is there a democracy in the world? 

My knowledge of World politics is very limited so someone else would have to answer that.

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

My knowledge of World politics is very limited so someone else would have to answer that.

I have a fairly extensive grasp on geopolitics, political science, and political philosophy, and using your definition I can’t think of a single one. My overarching point here is that you’re wrong and I’m right, so up ya bum. Wait, no, it’s that if issues with democracy mean that it’s not a democracy, then there are no functioning democracies, only systems placed on a sliding scale of democratic freedoms. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Numero said:

I have a fairly extensive grasp on geopolitics, political science, and political philosophy, and using your definition I can’t think of a single one. My overarching point here is that you’re wrong and I’m right, so up ya bum. Wait, no, it’s that if issues with democracy mean that it’s not a democracy, then there are no functioning democracies, only systems placed on a sliding scale of democratic freedoms. 

tenor.gif

There are some countries that are more democratic than the UK and a lot that aren't.

I think it's almost impossible to have a proper functioning democracy whilst the entire media is owned by half a dozen tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcaster that acts as a stenographer. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

There are some countries that are more democratic than the UK and a lot that aren't.

I think it's almost impossible to have a proper functioning democracy whilst the entire media is owned by half a dozen tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcaster that acts as a stenographer. 

Yeah, it's damaging to have the media/business/politics working in the way it is. It's actually a fucking joke that nobody other than the powerful are laughing at.

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, I watched that entire thing - they fucking roast the government especially the Scottish fella who just kept on kicking after the body had gone limp. 

I don't even know who those three guys are to be honest or what that even is, I posted it purely because it made me laugh. If nothing else one or two behind that Russian embassy twitter account at least have a sense of humour.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

I don't even know who those three guys are to be honest or what that even is, I posted it purely because it made me laugh. If nothing else one or two behind that Russian embassy twitter account at least have a sense of humour.

That's members from the intelligence and security committee that released the report. Kevan Jones on the right and Stewart Hosie on the right with the new chair Julian Lewis. 

• Upvote 1