You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Mate meet him in the park. I’ll come and I’ll bring some cans. We can discuss Estonian refugees and the arts. 

Haha, he won't even go out to the pub which he did a few days a week, which is worrying to be honest. I was hoping we could take him down Crosby Marina or something with a few cans just to get out. 

As for the topics to discuss your quite welcome but best change it to Mr Shankly or boxing as I don't think he's familiar with say Caravaggio etc nor the plight of Estonia, if it has one? 

He could tell you a few decent tales. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

There’s going to be about 0.1% of the population dying in the UK right? What percentage do you reckon there’d need to be for it to be full on apocalypse?

5% and you’re moving into @Karl_b’s veggie garden with a shotgun and a CB radio?

50% and you’re eating Karl?

Right, that's it, I'm building a big, beautiful wall around the veggie garden. You should see it, it's going to be magnificent. 

You wouldn't want to eat me though, there's more meat on the three chickens we have.

Cockapoos make shit guard dogs, we may have a problem here.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Stanley Johnson has been pictured shopping without wearing a mask. 

If he's not exempt, will he be fined? Or will the Cummings approach be adopted and a decision made to weaken the message, rather than hold one of their own accountable? 

He suffers from a wealth condition so he'll be fine

• Upvote 2

Fuck's sake. What an utter dickhead,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54379026

cotland's first minister says the actions of an SNP MP who travelled to Westminster despite experiencing Covid symptoms are "utterly indefensible".

Margaret Ferrier said she made the journey because she was feeling "much better" - but also returned home after getting a positive test result.

The MP, who has been suspended by her party, said there was "no excuse for my actions".

Nicola Sturgeon tweeted her support for the decision to suspend the MP.

She said: "This is utterly indefensible. It's hard to express just how angry I feel on behalf of people across the country making hard sacrifices every day to help beat Covid.

"The rules apply to everyone and they're in place to keep people safe. @Ianblackford_MP is right to suspend the whip."

One of Ms Ferrier's former SNP colleagues, Glasgow East MP David Linden, has also said she "should resign" as an MP.

He was speaking during the recording of tonight's BBC Question Time programme.

What is self-isolation and who has to do it?
Ms Ferrier said she took a test on Saturday after experiencing "mild symptoms", but travelled to London on Monday as she felt better.

The MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West spoke in the coronavirus debate in the House of Commons on Monday, and said she received her positive test result that evening.

She then took a train back to Scotland on Tuesday.

Media captionMargaret Ferrier speaks in Commons while awaiting test result
Ms Ferrier said she had informed the police and that she deeply regretted her actions.

"I travelled home by train on Tuesday morning without seeking advice. This was also wrong and I am sorry," she said.

"I have been self-isolating at home ever since."

Police Scotland confirmed they had been contacted by Ms Ferrier, saying officers were "looking into the circumstances" and liaising with the Metropolitan Police Service.

The SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford said he had spoken to Ms Ferrier, who accepted that what she had done was wrong.

He said: "Margaret will be referring herself to the parliamentary standards commissioner as well as the police. I am tonight suspending the whip from Margaret."

When someone tests positive for coronavirus they normally attract sympathy and concern.

But that's in extremely short supply for Margaret Ferrier after she admitted breaking Covid self-isolation rules.

She may have apologised for attending parliament and making lengthy journeys by public transport with coronavirus but she has not offered an explanation.

Her behaviour is far more serious than the lockdown travel breach that cost Catherine Calderwood her job as Scotland's chief medical officer.

It is also more serious than the lockdown travels of the prime minister's advisor, Dominic Cummings, who Mrs Ferrier called on to resign.

It is no surprise then that the Conservatives are demanding the MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West stands down from Parliament.

She has already been suspended by the SNP and the party leader, Nicola Sturgeon, has described her behaviour as "utterly indefensible".

House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle wrote to MPs on Thursday evening to say he was informed after Ms Ferrier told the SNP whip on Wednesday afternoon that she had tested positive for Covid-19.

"The House authorities immediately took all necessary steps in line with their legal obligations and PHE [Public Health England] Guidance," he wrote.

"On the basis of the information supplied to the contact tracing system, only one individual has been identified as a close contact in relation to this case and is now self-isolating."

A House of Commons spokesperson said the House's priority was to ensure the safety of those working on the estate.

The statement added: "We have closely followed public health guidance on the action to take following a confirmed case of Covid on site.

"Parliament has a dedicated team to support the test and trace teams across the UK, acting as a central point of contact in the event of any suspected or confirmed cases, where an individual has been working on the estate."

'Dangerous and disgraceful'
Labour MP Ian Murray said Ms Ferrier had shown "astonishing recklessness".

"She has put passengers, rail staff, fellow MPs, Commons staff and many others at unacceptable risk," he said.

"To breach the rules twice is simply unforgivable, and has undermined all the sacrifices made by her constituents."

Train drivers union Aslef described her actions as "both dangerous and disgraceful".

The Scottish Conservatives' Holyrood leader, Ruth Davidson, said knowingly taking public transport after testing positive for Covid-19 put lives at risk.

Ms Ferrier was one of the MPs who called on the prime minister's advisor Dominic Cummings to resign in the wake of the controversy over his visit to the north east of England during lockdown.

At the time, she said his actions had "undermined the sacrifices that we have all been making" and described his position as "untenable".

2 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

What a weird dinner party though, none of them look at all happy.

33877262-8796081-image-a-9_1601586521598

Neither would you if the resident ghost had thrown a towel on the chair and pushed it out.

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

Fuck's sake. What an utter dickhead,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54379026

I read that earlier, utterly brain dead. Quick to criticise others while ignoring the rules sums up most politicians but that's just crazy. That once she tested positive she jumped on board a train just defies belief. It's difficult to believe that level of stupidity and selfishness. 

5 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

They look exactly how I imagine Corbyn's mates to look. Costa Book Club winners for their debut novel about a woman who quit her office job and opened a muffin shop in St Ives, where she fell in love.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They look exactly how I imagine Corbyn's mates to look. Costa Book Club winners for their debut novel about a woman who quit her office job and opened a muffin shop in St Ives, where she fell in love.

Hahaha - great analogy. Is it an analogy? Made me laugh either way.

5 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I hope JC hasnt finished his meal, I hate cunts that dont put their kinves and forks together but leave them splayed all over the plate.

• Upvote 1

She should resign, definitely. But then I'll be more than a little bit pissed off if she's shamed into resigning and all Cummings had to do was sit at his tombola table and arrogantly explain why he shouldn't have to.

If she goes, then it's not just one rule for politicians and another for the rest of us. It's one rule for Johnson's stavka and another for the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Manny said:

She should resign, definitely. But then I'll be more than a little bit pissed off if she's shamed into resigning and all Cummings had to do was sit at his tombola table and arrogantly explain why he shouldn't have to.

If she goes, then it's not just one rule for politicians and another for the rest of us. It's one rule for Johnson's stavka and another for the rest of us.

I think what she did was significantly worse than what Corbyn, Johnson's dad or even Cummings did. She got on a public train knowing for a fact she had Covid, you're basically one step away from manslaughter with that IMO. 

• Upvote 2