You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where in Liverpool does your mum live? Has she got other family up here? If she needs any errands running and can't get out I'll help out if I can? 

If she isn't that near I'm sure a few others who might live closer will be happy to do a shop run or something for her if its needed. 

Sorry, she lives down here but thanks very much for that thought that was sound. I'll be telling me Dad who lives up there to be careful, he just goes to the pub about twice a week, his younger brother gets his shopping etc and takes him up the Top House and he gets a cab back but that's a bit dodgy too I think, as he's frail now and lives in a sheltered accommodation which I think those type of places will be the most at risk with the comings and goings.

I'll be doing a few errands myself, all of a sudden you've got to think about this shit it's becoming a nightmare.

Once again thanks for that though.

8 hours ago, ))) said:

Genuinely feel for anyone currently on a waiting list for mental health services, the wait is about to go through the roof due to this chaos. 

Over here, all elective surgery has been stopped, this means shitloads of people set for kidney transplants have been told they cannot happen. Which may be a blessing due to the immunosuppressant drugs.

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Sorry, she lives down here but thanks very much for that thought that was sound. I'll be telling me Dad who lives up there to be careful, he just goes to the pub about twice a week, his younger brother gets his shopping etc and takes him up the Top House and he gets a cab back but that's a bit dodgy too I think, as he's frail now and lives in a sheltered accommodation which I think those type of places will be the most at risk with the comings and goings.

I'll be doing a few errands myself, all of a sudden you've got to think about this shit it's becoming a nightmare.

Once again thanks for that though.

No worries mate. Hated the thought of her stuck and local if all it takes is someone to pop over and help out. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Of course Stig, a man of your knowledge and wit would know that all fannies are in fact hysterical, once you examine the etymology of hystericus.

I was taking the piss out of another poster with that comment. Who are you anyway? 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No worries mate. Hated the thought of her stuck and local if all it takes is someone to pop over and help out. 

Sound cheers, it's was good to hear, I hope there will be plenty helping others out as I think there will be many needing just that.

6 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

132 more cases, and the huge uplift in testing won't come in to play until tomorrow. This is quite quickly going to be 10,000 cases. 

There are two people in intensive care in the local hospital to me now. Shit is hitting the fan!

Remember though, don't be hysterical fannies!

Uplift, I hate that word, didn’t it come from the world of bras?

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there's total outrage soon including MP's defecting from the gov over the handling of this.

At the same time though I'd not be surprised if there's total outrage soon but all gov MP's stick together and don't care. They are Tories after all. We often read about how the "shit is going to hit the fan" but things mainly carry on as normal, looks like a 100% certainty this time though. Especially if the increase in testing takes place as planned shortly.

Maybe they're thinking "well they can't riot in the streets together or do mass protests, what do we have to lose?"

These fuckers??

104A0D7A-38CA-459A-8825-D860C8741167.jpeg

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Right, but it seems to present in most people as scarcely more than a regular cold. I was off work a couple of days last week myself with a heavy cold, and I still have a bit of a cough. Most people who get this virus are going to experience nothing more severe than that, and a lot of them will be none the wiser that they even had anything more than a cold.

Virologist, politician, comedian par excellence - there truly was little at which the dog did not excel.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Philtrum said:

I'm an NHS doctor treating coronavirus – you have no idea how bad it's about to get

If we go the way of Italy, we're going to run out of intensive care beds in two weeks

Then there is the collateral damage coronavirus will create. For while we are obsessively tracking deaths from Covid-19, it’s really the non-virus mortality we should be worried about. For every coronavirus patient in an ICU bed, one non-viral patient – possibly older, possibly with more complex healthcare needs – may be turned away. If you need intensive care and you don’t get it, it’s unlikely you will survive.

Of course, the crisis will not end when the virus does. We have already begun shutting down some outpatient hospital clinics, and I suspect will close all of them to all this week. There is already a huge backlog of non-urgent surgery and cancer care, much of which will be cancelled entirely to cope with coronavirus. The knock-on effect will be felt for years to come.

Unabated, we could see a million coronavirus cases or more in a month’s time. What happens after that, I don’t know. One thing I do know, however, is that the Italian mortality rate seems much higher than China’s (around 7%, versus 4%), a fact mostly explained by how Italian local healthcare has been pushed to breaking point. Reading the accounts of Italian doctors dealing with their outbreak reads like a warzone. Hospitals diverting all clinical staff to the care of ventilated patients. This is not healthcare but “catastrophe medicine”, of the kind one usually encounters on the battlefield; save who can be saved, leave the rest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-uk-doctor-nhs-hospital-symptoms-italy-china-a9397736.html

Started reading this and thought fuck me he likes hiding his light under a bushel.

6 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

These fuckers??

104A0D7A-38CA-459A-8825-D860C8741167.jpeg

Yeah it's unlikely I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, especially if things go to shit shortly like many are predicting. If there's hospitals overrun and the economy is crashed maybe some type of sense will awaken at some point.

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What's everyone's employers been like?

So far, we've had one email  - a cut and paste job full of generic advice - and literally not one word specific to the work we do, our policies or anything. 

WFH as you need which as a contractor is a superb attitude, they could just lay us off.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

How can it be said that they're even protecting the economy at the expense of lives at this stage? The news is going on about the FTSE having had its worst day since the 1987 crash. Maybe they're just completely fucking stupid and not actually helping anyone at all?

The only solution here if this is actually as bad as is being said, is for some type of revolt. I don't mean some type of pie in the sky revolution, but people in different areas of industry, government ministers, departments, whatever, speaking out and the press covering it like they did the guy today that basically said the response was a fucking joke. Maybe the WHO could have the courage to single out countries too by name.

Something will surely give now though or shortly if even the sacred economy is crashing as well.

@Audrey Witherspoon will at least be glad to know that any optimism I had is now fucking well gone too, at least as far as this country is concerned anyway. I'm in the same pissed off state now I think, it just took a few more days for me to get there.

Welcome to the party RP.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

132 more cases, and the huge uplift in testing won't come in to play until tomorrow. This is quite quickly going to be 10,000 cases. 

There are two people in intensive care in the local hospital to me now. Shit is hitting the fan!

Remember though, don't be hysterical fannies!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51862922/up-to-10000-in-uk-likely-to-have-coronavirus-chief-scientific-adviser

When I said quickly, I didn't think this quickly!