You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Even if a George Floyd style death did count as a Covid death if a positive test has occurred, what's the significance of such a pointless issue anyway? How many of these cases are we getting? Or the favourite invocation of Covidiots, who go on about people being fatally hit by buses counting as Covid deaths. How many cases like this crop up? Hardly any. And most definitely not enough to significantly skew the figures. 

The ONS figures (I think) provide a breakdown of deaths were covid was a significant contributing factor. And I believe that they show that around 80% to 90% of Covid deaths are instances of people dying of Covid or a condition brought about by Covid, rather than dying "with" Covid. Figures which are largely backed up by the excess death numbers. 

The George Floyd/hit by a bus nonsense is just another attempt of downplaying the seriousness of Covid by people who've pretty much been wrong about almost everything when it comes to the virus. 

Yep, see above.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is worth pointing out that the second wave was indeed over by the end of winter.

Wasn’t it a delayed first wave? I get confused listening to actual experts but the real expert inventing stuff it’s all just a big mess isn’t it. 

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I did edit it right after I posted it, although Stig quoted it just before the edit. Nevertheless your post was more than an hour after mine, and I think there's only a 15(?) minute window for editing.

I appreciate the clarification.

We’ll just stick with massively off the fucking chart wrong then. 

And deliberately provocative. 

And deliberately insensitive. 

85% of people in the Uk have had one jab, 62% have had both. 

On the basis that at least 10% of the public won't have it, and another percentage will be unsure, we are pretty close to doing everything that we can realistically do now. Come July the 19th we have to try and move away from restrictions, not necessarily all, but the majority should be lifted. 

39 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The ONS figures (I think) provide a breakdown of deaths were covid was a significant contributing factor. And I believe that they show that around 80% to 90% of Covid deaths are instances of people dying of Covid or a condition brought about by Covid, rather than dying "with" Covid. Figures which are largely backed up by the excess death numbers. 

Everything I've seen absolutely backs this up and I would not be surprised if the official figures provided are way lower than the actual figures, without having to add car crashes etc. Scary that anyone would think it's exaggerated.

44 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The ONS figures (I think) provide a breakdown of deaths were covid was a significant contributing factor. And I believe that they show that around 80% to 90% of Covid deaths are instances of people dying of Covid or a condition brought about by Covid, rather than dying "with" Covid.

I believe the term was "low hanging fruit."

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

On the basis that at least 10% of the public won't have it, and another percentage will be unsure, we are pretty close to doing everything that we can realistically do now. Come July the 19th we have to try and move away from restrictions, not necessarily all, but the majority should be lifted. 

That's over 18s only. For the entire population, the figures are about 67% and just under 50%. So there are still a lot of people who can catch and transmit the virus. Hopefully, the vast majority of those who would be hospitalised or killed by it are now double jabbed, but letting it rip and risking some vaccine dodging variant is not a good idea as we'd just end up back to square one. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

No, those percentages are for adults not ‘people’. With how transmissible this new variant is we need about 85% of the whole population vaccinated from what I’ve read to achieve herd immunity (obviously some people may have some form of immunity from being infected but it’s uncertain how long this would last against Delta). 

Going off the government dashboard it looks like just under 50% of the UK population are double jabbed at the minute. We need to see what the JCVI recommends for kids because it looks like the only way we reach herd immunity is to vaccinate some of them or let it rip through schools even more than it is now. 

No one wearing masks and no distancing in the crowd there on centre court at Wimbledon for the Murray game. Looked a great atmosphere.

Are they all jabbed up or are tennis spectators exempt from the same rules as football supporters? The roof was closed as well.

The next debate will be do you let kids basically be the only naive bodies for Covid and let them catch it or do you vaccinate them. Even more ethically challenging and difficult risk-reward analysis. Of course there will still be a 25% or more amount of adults unvaccinated as well. 

I think there's a long way to go before we think about vaccinating children. The risk to children from covid is extremely low. It's entirely possible they may be better protected by natural immunity generated through infection than by asking them to take the possible risk of a vaccine.

None of this is good.

New lockdowns across Asia

Several Asian nations are reinstating lockdown restrictions due to the threat of the delta variant, with Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, and Malaysia implementing shutdowns to stop the spread. [Guardian / Jon Henley]

The delta variant spreads more easily than the original Covid-19, and poses a stronger risk in countries where majorities of the population have not yet been vaccinated. [Barron’s / Josh Nathan-Kazis]

In Bangladesh, case counts are approaching the levels of their April peak, so soldiers will be patrolling the streets to enforce the stay-at-home order. In Malaysia, residents are experiencing their fourth lockdown after cases have barely gone down. [NYT / Livia Albeck-Ripka, Saif Hasnat, Yu Young Jin, Mujib Mashal, and Aina J. Khan]

In Vietnam, which had been succeeding in keeping cases relatively low, cases have doubled within a month, leading to a social distancing requirement in Ho Chi Minh City and the suspension of some travel. [France 24 News]

Meanwhile, Thailand is trying to isolate Phuket as a tourism hub while case numbers reach their third-highest daily case total of the pandemic and doctors worry about the potential lack of hospital beds. [Bangkok Post]