You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Telling The Sun. Colour me shocked.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-30/man-apologises-over-video-of-chris-whitty-being-harassed-in-park

One of the men who filmed themselves grabbing Professor Chris Whitty has apologised for "any upset I caused" and has revealed he has lost his job.

Lewis Hughes, from Essex, did not mean to make England's chief medical officer "uncomfortable", and if he did he was "sorry to him for that".

Mr Hughes, a 24-year-old estate agent, said he had lost his job following the incident, telling The Sun: “I absolutely apologise for any upset I caused."

On 29/06/2021 at 15:58, Barrington Womble said:

at the weekend on Marr, whoever was representing the NHS or PHE (can't remember at all who it was), seems pretty sure everyone who gets a flu vaccine will be offered a booster jab at the same time. From what I recall reading a while back, I think the idea the booster will be of the type you have not had before. Who knows how well that has been tested. 

One of them it was their 2nd. So double jabbed and had the virus. They're not spring chickens, but she got through the original (or perhaps alpha) strains much more easily. 

Christ, anything is possible then, hopefully they all make a full recovery.

13 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think there's a long way to go before we think about vaccinating children. The risk to children from covid is extremely low. It's entirely possible they may be better protected by natural immunity generated through infection than by asking them to take the possible risk of a vaccine.

The Netherlands is now offering vaccination to 12 to 17 year olds. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/netherlands-offer-covid-19-vaccinations-teenagers-2021-06-29/

52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Someone I know double jabbed and tested positive this morning.  Her husband has the same symptoms as her but testing negative 

Yes, 95% effectiveness means that ~5% may still get infected. Hope they are okay and the vaccine is at least keeping the symptoms relatively mild and short-lived.

This is an unspeakable disgrace. Not allowed to see your dieing son because of covid?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-57681038

A hospital has apologised and pledged to review visiting restrictions after it prevented parents from seeing their dying son in his final weeks.

Ollie Bibby, of South Benfleet, Essex, died of leukaemia at University College London Hospital (UCLH) on 5 May.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer highlighted the case in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

Mr Bibby's mother Penny said: "All we want from this is for policies to be reviewed. This has to stop."

Mrs Bibby said the letter from Tim Jaggard, acting chief executive of UCLH, was a "pleasant surprise" and she hoped it would help other people be with their loved ones in hospital.

"This is the outcome we wanted. We just don't want any other families to go through this. We feel like Ollie would be proud of us for taking a stand on this," she said.

Ollieimage copyrightPenny Bibby
image captionOllie was a non-materialistic, old-fashioned person with lots of friends and a passion for football, his family said

She said Mr Jaggard wrote that the hospital was trying "to get the balance right between keeping patients safe and compassion" and was "sorry" if it failed at this.

He added: "I would like to assure you we are reviewing how we implement the national guidance."

Mrs Bibby said it was not fair that visiting rules were "like a lottery", with each hospital interpreting national government guidance differently.

'Treated like criminals'

Her 27-year-old son died the day before Matt Hancock was filmed kissing a colleague, prompting his resignation as health secretary.

Mrs Bibby subsequently said she was "livid" he broke social distancing rules, as she was prevented from being with her son.

While he was dying in hospital, her son felt like he was "in prison", she said, and begged to see his family, but they were "treated like criminals" and "barely allowed in" due to Covid restrictions.

Sir Keir raised the case in the first Prime Minister's Questions since Mr Hancock resigned.

However, Mrs Bibby said she felt Boris Johnson "dismissed" his question and avoided answering it.

Simon and Penny Bibby
image captionOllie's parents Simon and Penny were angry that Matt Hancock had broken social distancing rules while they were stopped from seeing their son
Ollie and Georgieimage copyrightPenny Bibby
image captionOllie's girlfriend Georgia was only allowed to see him twice in the seven weeks he was in hospital before he died

In a statement, a UCLH spokesperson said the hospital had always followed national visiting guidelines to protect patients, many of whom were extremely vulnerable, from Covid-19.

"We know safety needs to be balanced with compassion for patients' individual circumstances so our staff do have some scope for discretion around visiting," they said.

Additional visiting arrangements had been put in place for Mr Bibby's family, they added.

"It has been a challenge to strike this balance during the pandemic but we believe our staff have always tried their best in very difficult circumstances and we are always looking at how we can improve further.

"We are reviewing how we implement national visiting guidance during the pandemic and listening to what our patients and their families tell us about the impact it has on their care.

"We are in contact with Oliver's family to learn from their experiences and our deepest sympathies go to his parents, brothers and wider family and friends at this very difficult time."

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

This is an unspeakable disgrace. Not allowed to see your dieing son because of covid?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-57681038

A hospital has apologised and pledged to review visiting restrictions after it prevented parents from seeing their dying son in his final weeks.

Ollie Bibby, of South Benfleet, Essex, died of leukaemia at University College London Hospital (UCLH) on 5 May.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer highlighted the case in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

Mr Bibby's mother Penny said: "All we want from this is for policies to be reviewed. This has to stop."

Mrs Bibby said the letter from Tim Jaggard, acting chief executive of UCLH, was a "pleasant surprise" and she hoped it would help other people be with their loved ones in hospital.

"This is the outcome we wanted. We just don't want any other families to go through this. We feel like Ollie would be proud of us for taking a stand on this," she said.

Ollieimage copyrightPenny Bibby
image captionOllie was a non-materialistic, old-fashioned person with lots of friends and a passion for football, his family said

She said Mr Jaggard wrote that the hospital was trying "to get the balance right between keeping patients safe and compassion" and was "sorry" if it failed at this.

He added: "I would like to assure you we are reviewing how we implement the national guidance."

Mrs Bibby said it was not fair that visiting rules were "like a lottery", with each hospital interpreting national government guidance differently.

'Treated like criminals'

Her 27-year-old son died the day before Matt Hancock was filmed kissing a colleague, prompting his resignation as health secretary.

Mrs Bibby subsequently said she was "livid" he broke social distancing rules, as she was prevented from being with her son.

While he was dying in hospital, her son felt like he was "in prison", she said, and begged to see his family, but they were "treated like criminals" and "barely allowed in" due to Covid restrictions.

Sir Keir raised the case in the first Prime Minister's Questions since Mr Hancock resigned.

However, Mrs Bibby said she felt Boris Johnson "dismissed" his question and avoided answering it.

Simon and Penny Bibby
image captionOllie's parents Simon and Penny were angry that Matt Hancock had broken social distancing rules while they were stopped from seeing their son
Ollie and Georgieimage copyrightPenny Bibby
image captionOllie's girlfriend Georgia was only allowed to see him twice in the seven weeks he was in hospital before he died

In a statement, a UCLH spokesperson said the hospital had always followed national visiting guidelines to protect patients, many of whom were extremely vulnerable, from Covid-19.

"We know safety needs to be balanced with compassion for patients' individual circumstances so our staff do have some scope for discretion around visiting," they said.

Additional visiting arrangements had been put in place for Mr Bibby's family, they added.

"It has been a challenge to strike this balance during the pandemic but we believe our staff have always tried their best in very difficult circumstances and we are always looking at how we can improve further.

"We are reviewing how we implement national visiting guidance during the pandemic and listening to what our patients and their families tell us about the impact it has on their care.

"We are in contact with Oliver's family to learn from their experiences and our deepest sympathies go to his parents, brothers and wider family and friends at this very difficult time."

Stig will be along to call you a cunt in a minute.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Because when I highlighted the exact same issue a few pages back you called me a horrible cunt and said I wasn't a decent human being.

It's all the lies and snide since this thread began that made me come to that conclusion. I thought it long before that post. 

You're probably none of them things in real life of course. 

41 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Was listening to some guy called Gordon Sumner on the radio yesterday and he was suggesting it may even reach to a seventh wave.

I suppose "Don't Stand So Close to Me" could be a social distancing anthem.

• Upvote 2