You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Facts are great, when they're not misused to paint a false picture.

87% of Sweden's population lives in urban areas, where population densities are comparable to, or even higher, other cities. The urban population in the Czech Republic is only 74%.

Stockholm population density = 4,175 people per square km. Prague = 2,700. Malmo = 4,049. Ostrava = 1,300.

So now that we know (a) Swedes are living in closer proximity to each other than Czechs and (b) Czechs are wearing masks much more than Swedes.

Quite frankly astounding hypocrisy. Its Spring by the way, are you big enough to admit you were wrong when you said this will be gone by winter? I suspect not. 

19 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

18 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

A graph tells a story. A story is made up.

In the past week, Czechia recorded the world's highest per-capita COVID-19 infection rate – 11 times higher than neighboring Germany. Exactly one year since detecting its first case, the relatively small European nation of 10.7 million people has seen its death toll more than double since mid-December, to more 20,700, prompting a warning from Prime Minister Andrej Babis that the healthcare system faces collapse.

The surge is partly due to the spread of new variants of the virus. But there has been strong criticism of the government's handling of the pandemic, particularly its lockdown management; while the Czech people do not have a good recent record of obeying virus prevention rules.

READ MORE

France benefits from China-EU deal

How well are COVID-19 vaccines working?

Meet Germany's 'ethical' hunters

Data scientist Petr Ludwig helped advise the Czechia government on its face-mask policy. He told CGTN Europe's Global Business program people's behavior had changed since the initial outbreak a year ago. 

"During the summer, people started to believe some conspiracy theories and misinformation that masks are somehow dangerous," he said. "The government stopped the mask mandate during the summer because we had very good numbers."

"At the end of the summer, our numbers went back [up] again and the infection rate started to grow," he added.

31a4eecb6322483eb99d342e638c8d9c.jpeg

A man wears a paper mask with the words 'stupid people' on during protests over social distancing measures during the winter in Czechia. /AP/Petr David Josek

In response to those spiraling numbers, the government has launched its toughest restrictions yet – a three-week stay-at-home order and full school closures. But Babis has resisted calls to shut down industry, saying it would cause job losses. Factories and workplaces will stay open – with mandatory COVID-19 tests for companies with at least 50 employees.

Deputy Prime Minister Jan Hamacek, leader of the junior government party the Social Democrats, said without controls on companies "we will end up exactly where we are now" in a month's time. 

Robin Sin, a regional vaccination coordinator and crisis medicine expert also said non-critical industry should be shut down temporarily. He called the government's decision to limit movement between districts "completely insufficient."

369606d0d5c240ea851a43373d622296.jpeg

A strict three-week lockdown has begun in Czechia, including limits on regional travel. /Jaroslav Ozana/CTK via AP

But Czechia's leaders have been keen to deflect the blame elsewhere. Babis says the European Union's slow vaccine approval and procurement has hindered his country's vaccination program. On Sunday, President Milos Zeman took to national television: "After consulting the prime minister, I have sent a letter to [Russia's President] Vladimir Putin, asking him for a supply of the Sputnik vaccine."

"Information from the Russian embassy suggests it could arrive in the next few days," he said, adding that Prague is also considering procuring China's Sinopharm vaccine.

Both the Sputnik V and Sinopharm jabs are yet to be approved by the EU regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

9ada9098b823447b867f317921c9f5ea.jpeg

Neighboring Slovakia has also turned to Russia, ordering 2 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine. /Frantisek Ivan/TASR via AP

Babis took a more direct tone in an interview with CNN Prima: "We cannot wait for the EMA," he said. 

"SUKL [the Czechia drugs authority] must examine the documentation and if they approve it [Sputnik V], the Health Ministry has to issue an exemption … and then, whoever is interested can get inoculated."

But data scientist Ludwig told CGTN Europe that while there had been delays in the EU roll-out, the government was also to blame for the hold-ups. "We only have between 3 and 4 percent of people vaccinated," he said. 

"We are waiting for new doses, but with those doses that have been delivered, the government was slow in delivering those vaccines around the country and delivering them to our patients."

Source(s): Reuters ,AFP ,AP

I notice these got ignored.... Its like PMQ's in here sometimes. 

28 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This appear to me to be mostly to do with Scottish independence. I've never even been to Scotland (genuinely) but I can definitely get why any Scot would want independence. There was a discussion on a YouTube video a few months ago, they were discussing how Brexit was a demonstration of democracy in action as it was voted for in a time of good spirits. My understanding is the Scottish First Minister really wants Scottish independence?

Sturgeon's SNP, so yes, that's their raison d'etre. Funnily enough, at least one of them certainly voted for Brexit and all of them are very quick to say that Scotland's a drain on the UK, gets more than its fair share in budget etc. You'd think they'd be gung-ho for Scottish independence...

32 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Chile is using Sinovac and Pfizer.

I'd imagine being anywhere remotely close to Brazil must have a fairly detrimental effect on numbers, and having almost half the population in one overcrowded city can't help.

I think the timing was especially bad for Chile too as they're just finishing holiday season and people fucked off to Miami or wherever for summer.

This is one of the reasons that it's so imperative that Spain and Italy sort out vaccines in the next few months because both countries are going to reopen everything for summer. They have to, Spain especially, or they'd have a third of the country on the dole. 

Yes,  the worrying thing is that Chile seems to be about a month or two ahead of them and my estimate would be that they must have at least 45% to 50% of population with decent level of immunity now (recovered plus vaccinated minus overlapping) and yet they are still running relatively high numbers. There is not going to be much opening in Europe if it does not go much lower then that.

So this massive upscaling of Pfizer BioNtech they are talking about now better be truly massive.

I really thought this would go much faster with vaccinations, in January, I expected Covid to be more or less over in Europe by that one day in April, that beautiful day in April Trump promised us last March.

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Facts are great, when they're not misused to paint a false picture. Sweden has a lot of empty countryside which skews things considerably.

87% of Sweden's population lives in urban areas, where population densities are comparable to, or even higher than, other cities. The urban population in the Czech Republic is only 74%.

Stockholm population density = 4,175 people per square km. Prague = 2,700. Malmo = 4,049. Ostrava = 1,300.

So now that we know (a) Swedes are living in closer proximity to each other than Czechs and (b) Czechs are wearing masks much more than Swedes.

Objection: Speculative. Move to strike.

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

To be fair, this is mostly predictive models and WHO's suggestion that you should wear them. Predictive model article from about a year ago quotes studies saying basic mask is considerably less effective than surgical mask and markedly more effective than no mask, which is not saying too much, or at least it is not much more than common sense. The predictive model article talks about synergies with other measures.

Masks have mostly been mandatory in public transportation, shops and other public indoor spaces,  throughout Europe, since at least last summer and I would say it is still not clear what impact do they have when one of the epidemic waves hits a particular country. As in, we keep wearing them, but numbers go up and down wildly, mostly under the influence of many other factors.   

57 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yes,  the worrying thing is that Chile seems to be about a month or two ahead of them and my estimate would be that they must have at least 45% to 50% of population with decent level of immunity now (recovered plus vaccinated minus overlapping) and yet they are still running relatively high numbers. There is not going to be much opening in Europe if it does not go much lower then that.

So this massive upscaling of Pfizer BioNtech they are talking about now better be truly massive.

I really thought this would go much faster with vaccinations, in January, I expected Covid to be more or less over in Europe by that one day in April, that beautiful day in April Trump promised us last March.

There is going to be opening in Europe. The vaccines arrived four months ago, trying to tell people that have hotels, bars, and anything else related to the tourism sector that they'll be having another summer of missed profits just won't wash. There will simply be more, largely unpoliceable, botellones and private parties all over the country. And the people that can't profit from them will be on the streets with VOX.

People are starting to give less of a fuck every day here as there is simply no end in sight. No-one believes a word the government is saying as they know they're just passing on a message from the EU. 

The EU idea re vaccines was a noble one, but they basically had to pretend that capitalism doesn't exist. Then they cried it in whilst the rich right wing countries like the US, UK, and Israel, and Chile (relative to the rest of the continent) got on with doing everything they could to reopen their economies as soon as possible.

It has back fired massively for the EU as they've somehow managed to make the UK government look competent on this issue. They've also allowed Brexit loons to see this as justification for leaving the EU (the truth of the situation is irrelevant).

Just an utter, utter shit show. 

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

To be fair, this is mostly predictive models and WHO's suggestion that you should wear them. Predictive model article from about a year ago quotes studies saying basic mask is considerably less effective than surgical mask and markedly more effective than no mask, which is not saying too much, or at least it is not much more than common sense. The predictive model article talks about synergies with other measures.

Masks have mostly been mandatory in public transportation, shops and other public indoor spaces,  throughout Europe, since at least last summer and I would say it is still not clear what impact do they have when one of the epidemic waves hits a particular country. As in, we keep wearing them, but numbers go up and down wildly, mostly under the influence of many other factors.   

Absolutely mate and its hard to prove the level of impact but there will obviously be some benefit given the nature of the virus. I'm more inclined to listen to the guidance of the World Health Organisation than some Karen know it all spouting utter shite because they've got a bee in their bonnet over a minor inconvenience. 

20 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

There is going to be opening in Europe. The vaccines arrived four months ago, trying to tell people that have hotels, bars, and anything else related to the tourism sector that they'll be having another summer of missed profits just won't wash. There will simply be more, largely unpoliceable, botellones and private parties all over the country. And the people that can't profit from them will be on the streets with VOX.

People are starting to give less of a fuck every day here as there is simply no end in sight. No-one believes a word the government is saying as they know they're just passing on a message from the EU. 

The EU idea re vaccines was a noble one, but they basically had to pretend that capitalism doesn't exist. Then they cried it in whilst the rich right wing countries like the US, UK, and Israel, and Chile (relative to the rest of the continent) got on with doing everything they could to reopen their economies as soon as possible.

It has back fired massively for the EU as they've somehow managed to make the UK government look competent on this issue. They've also allowed Brexit loons to see this as justification for leaving the EU (the truth of the situation is irrelevant).

Just an utter, utter shit show. 

Yes, plus some other local vaccines are a bit late, German CureVac was part of the huge EU order and is not going to be ready before May, French Sanofi probably not before Q4. 

I think that was always a potential blinder for this UK government, first, you can count on a considerable potential of British scientists, second, the way they structured the whole thing is what they are all about. It was a perfect opportunity and they didn't miss it, which was particularly important after the testing and PPE fiasco last year and in the context of Brexit.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Has anyone had their vaccine in Aintree? Any idea what vaccine they are using? I need to know if I'm gonna have to book Thursday off work with Bill Gates aids 

The one on the industrial estate by Taskers or the racecourse? I booked my mum in the one by Taskers a few weeks ago and she the Oxford one. 

I know someone who works for the NHS and helps run a vaccination centre though and she said it could be Pfizer or AstraZeneca in all of them depending on the day. 

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The one on the industrial estate by Taskers or the racecourse? I booked my mum in the one by Taskers a few weeks ago and she the Oxford one. 

I know someone who works for the NHS and helps run a vaccination centre though and she said it could be Pfizer or AstraZeneca in all of them depending on the day. 

Thanks mate, I've just googled the postcode they sent and its actually Fazakerley near Altcourse I'm booked into. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've just googled the postcode they sent and its actually Fazakerley near Altcourse I'm booked into. 

It’s the one by Taskers Aintree mate, it’s right opposite. Just before Walton Vale. That’s where my mum went. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Aah sound. How was she after it? 

Sick for 24 hours then absolutely fine. It affects everyone differently though so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I was sick as fuck after mine and two of my mates had it last week, one had the shits for a week and a sore arm and the other one didn’t have even have a sore arm the lucky cunt. 

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Sick for 24 hours then absolutely fine. It affects everyone differently though so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I was sick as fuck after mine and two of my mates had it last week, one had the shits for a week and a sore arm and the other one didn’t have even have a sore arm the lucky cunt. 

Thanks pal. My dad was absolutely fine after his, said he just slept like a log that night. No doubt I'll be crawling on all fours after mine. Even if I don't have any side effects I'm gonna milk it for a few days with her. 

Saying that she's got her first jab tomorrow so if she has a bad reaction the house will be put into fucking code black 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah, the links between Cummings' sourjoun and the factory were made at the time...

Can't remember why, but there was something dodgy to it, like investors or tending process, I'll try and find it.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/18400944.glaxosmithkline-barnard-castle-enter-vaccine-collaboration-fight-covid-19/

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, the links between Cummings' sourjoun and the factory were made at the time...

Can't remember why, but there was something dodgy to it, like investers or tending process, I'll try and find it.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/18400944.glaxosmithkline-barnard-castle-enter-vaccine-collaboration-fight-covid-19/

It was all dodgy yet the public let him lie to our faces without him being publicly lynched.